What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial team week 2 V Parra

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think on paper the Panthers have an awesome side. I wouldn't be surprised with top four. The only weakness is inexperienced halves, but Moylan picks up that slack anyway.

franklin2323

Immortal
If you look at the highlights you'll see that's not true: http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2017/02/19/match_highlights_pan.html

For the last two tries Parra have no jersey numbers lower than 18, whereas right at the end Penrith still had Moylan, Whare, Blake, TMM, Cleary, Cartwright, etc.

While Moylan, Martin and co did play longer then most Parra starters. Numbers in trials mean bugger all here's why. We had no Number 12. Number 16 was off by halftime. Akoulala started in 20.

When Akoula knocked himself out. He was replaced by a Tongan in number 9. We also had Langi and Leota both in 17. Whare was in 2. With MWZ outside him in 2. Peachey in number 4. With Tuisese outside him also in number 4.

While numbers are a guide that many guys get a run in whatever jersey they can get. Never can say any team was weaker than the other

franklin2323

Immortal
I think on paper the Panthers have an awesome side. I wouldn't be surprised with top four. The only weakness is inexperienced halves, but Moylan picks up that slack anyway.

Rein, Cartwright too have plenty of footy in play making if needed. For me it's the players staying grounded that will cost us top 4

maple_69

Bench
We drifted in and out of games a lot last year. We can't rely on 20 minutes of Moylan shredding teams to beat the better sides. If they play 80 patient minutes the points will come.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
While Moylan, Martin and co did play longer then most Parra starters. Numbers in trials mean bugger all here's why. We had no Number 12. Number 16 was off by halftime. Akoulala started in 20.

When Akoula knocked himself out. He was replaced by a Tongan in number 9. We also had Langi and Leota both in 17. Whare was in 2. With MWZ outside him in 2. Peachey in number 4. With Tuisese outside him also in number 4.

While numbers are a guide that many guys get a run in whatever jersey they can get. Never can say any team was weaker than the other
Right, except I recognised those Panthers, and I'm not a Panthers fan. They were mostly top 17 players. That last try was scored by Whare off a Martin kick. Blake came in to congratulate him. But unless you were a (fairly hardcore) Eels fan you wouldn't recognise any of the Eels onscreen other than maybe Gower. The other three were Honeti Tuha, Jamal Fogarty and James Gammidge. Do you know any of them? Zero NRL games between them. Gammidge isn't even on an NRL contract - he is a part timer contracted to Wenty.

mxlegend99

Referee
Right, except I recognised those Panthers, and I'm not a Panthers fan. They were mostly top 17 players. That last try was scored by Whare off a Martin kick. Blake came in to congratulate him. But unless you were a (fairly hardcore) Eels fan you wouldn't recognise any of the Eels onscreen other than maybe Gower. The other three were Honeti Tuha, Jamal Fogarty and James Gammidge. Do you know any of them? Zero NRL games between them. Gammidge isn't even on an NRL contract - he is a part timer contracted to Wenty.
So you only lost 12-6 then? Not sure why you're so defensive... chopping and changing of players happens in every trial. Usually the only blokes getting a longer run are those who need it... guys like Whare and TMM who missed most of last season. Or guys needing to cement a spot.

Btw if we had mostly top 17 players. Who were the other 10 on the field aside from TMM, Whare and Blake? Honest question as the video doesnt focus long enough to identify most players. But you seem to have already done so.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So you only lost 12-6 then?
No we lost 18-6, I'm just explaining why your team found it so much easier to score tries in the final quarter.

Not sure why you're so defensive... chopping and changing of players happens in every trial. Usually the only blokes getting a longer run are those who need it... guys like Whare and TMM who missed most of last season. Or guys needing to cement a spot.

Btw if we had mostly top 17 players. Who were the other 10 on the field aside from TMM, Whare and Blake? Honest question as the video doesnt focus long enough to identify most players. But you seem to have already done so.
Are you suggesting that the only three top 17 Penrith players were the three I've named? Ok then, to the video...

For the Panthers' second try the Eels teams was like this:

Tuha
Faraimo
Hoffman
Aukafolau
Gammidge
Fogarty
Robson
Alvaro
King
Pritchard
Moeroa
Edwards

Gower

The five top 17 players are in bold. That is only 38% of the team. Meanwhile for the Panthers I recognised the following players:

Moylan
Blake
Martin
Cleary
Latu
Rein

Browne
Yeo
Cartwright

Plus there was some bloke wearing 9 who I didn't recognise. Eight of those ten (80% of the players visible) were top 17 players. Plus unless Whare came off and back on again for the final try he scored, that's nine of eleven.

The final try looked like all the Eels bums were out there, at least in the middle and left edge - Moeroa was off the field with Gower taking his place. And facing the Eels left edge of Gammidge, Aukafolau, Fogarty and Gower (with Tuha fullback) were Whare, Blake, Martin (kicking) and Harawira-Naera. That is three top 17 players to zero on that side of the field. Plus Latu made a decoy run in the lead up.

betcats

Referee
No we lost 18-6, I'm just explaining why your team found it so much easier to score tries in the final quarter.

Are you suggesting that the only three top 17 Penrith players were the three I've named? Ok then, to the video...

Tuha
Faraimo
Hoffman
Aukafolau
Gammidge
Fogarty
Robson
Alvaro
King
Pritchard
Moeroa
Edwards

Gower

The five top 17 players are in bold. That is only 38% of the team. Meanwhile for the Panthers I recognised the following players:

Moylan
Blake
Martin
Cleary
Latu
Rein

Browne
Yeo
Cartwright

Plus there was some bloke wearing 9 who I didn't recognise. Eight of those ten (80% of the players visible) were top 17 players. Plus unless Whare came off and back on again for the final try he scored, that's nine of eleven.

The final try looked like all the Eels bums were out there, at least in the middle and left edge - Moeroa was off the field with Gower taking his place. And facing the Eels left edge of Gammidge, Aukafolau, Fogarty and Gower (with Tuha fullback) were Whare, Blake, Martin (kicking) and Harawira-Naera. That is three top 17 players to zero on that side of the field. Plus Latu made a decoy run in the lead up.

It's a trial we beat what was in front of us. It's not a big deal.

franklin2323

Immortal

Tuha
Faraimo
Hoffman
Aukafolau
Gammidge
Fogarty
Robson
Alvaro
King
Pritchard
Moeroa
Edwards

Gower

Moylan
Blake
Martin
Cleary
Latu
Rein

Browne
Yeo
Cartwright

It was 1st hit out of the year so guys played longer. Add to that we had no ball in the 1st half trials are to build combinations so teams play as long as they need.

MX, JFH was a late scratching so we had no number 12 jersey. We finished up with this 13 on:

Edwards
MWZ
Whare
Blake
Tuisese
TMM
May
Number 8 from NYC
Rein
Leota
Langi
Corey Hawira-Narea
Katoa:

So was a normal trial as far as players used. Just how long the key guys stayed on for is the difference

martielang

Bench
Interesting to see Langi around the first grade side. He has plenty of potential injuries/confidence have hampered him. Can play though.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think both sides can take something out of the trial. I thought we defended particularly well given the Eels had greater than 50% share of the ball in the first half. We made a few mistakes when in possession so didn't do ourselves any favour's hence the stalemate at half time. Personally, I felt watching the game, if we held onto the ball and got an even share of possession we would eventually come out on top and that's the way it panned out. Not much in it thou.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We do have a defence that forces errors though. Too many people judge teams solely on their attack (and ours is very average, especially without Norman). We will grind out plenty of wins this year and frustrate a few teams into conceding big scores. Much like Bennett's Dragons team a few years ago.

Latest posts