What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial team week 2 V Parra

betcats

Referee
They see him as a threat to Tedesco. Even though the two are nothing whatever alike as players.

Yeah its mainly Vic from my experience, they are bitter Moylan got picked over Teddy last year which I can understand, but they are on a hiding to nothing trying to talk down Moylan, they didn't have much to say during the back end of last season that is for sure.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You won wooden spoons while cheating and threw away your best chance at a good season last year by doing so. Had a top 4 side that was a premiership threat finally.

You cheated to sign Foran and Jennings and honestly neither was worth cheating to get.

Didnt really learn your lesson well.
Well we did because the Storm got caught, lost a season and won the comp two years later.

As for the wooden spoons, we weren't cheating in those years, the cap breaches were due to a high injury toll.

soc123_au

Staff member
Pou Pou's alright. Even the most intelligent league fans can become irrational and biased.
When I look at the 15 other squads, all I see is a bunch of nuffies with a few over-rated or overpaid wankers thrown in. I'm sure this is how we appear to others. Long live tribalism.

This western derby trial was for bragging rights, so that's what we're doing.

Ha ha. I wish I could like this post twice.

mxlegend99

Referee
I was just referring to the actual trolls we used to have visit us frequently like donkeyboy and rhnyo. This Pou isn't hating on anyone, he just doesn't rate our players as much as we do which is to be expected.
Or he's a troll aswell.

Well we did because the Storm got caught, lost a season and won the comp two years later.

As for the wooden spoons, we weren't cheating in those years, the cap breaches were due to a high injury toll.
Theres no excuse that justifies cheating to the extent the Bulldogs, Storm and Eels did.

Obviously the fans can't control what their club does. But trying to make excuses for it is ridiculous. Every other club is disadvantaged when a club cheats. Eels were worse than Storm... they cheated the cap to steal players from other clubs. Storm did it to keep guys they had developed. That doesnt make it ok... but the Eels cheating was that bit worse.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Whare is a gun defender, Blake is pretty solid in defence in the centres. Blake is also young, Jennings was a lazy f**ker in defence at the same age. I still think Jennings is an elite centre, but we have moved on & I wouldn't swap any of our current players for him, except Hiku.

French I would consider on the wing. Not in the same conversation as our centres. He is hardly a walk up start though.

We won in 03 off the back of attack and apart from the GF our defence that year was average at best. I think the 17 version is better defensively than then. I realise the game has evolved, but no reason they can't give the thing a good crack. No reason your mob won't be up there as well. BA is proving to be an astute coach. The players seem to respond well to him, but I think he would love to have a few of our boys at his disposal.
I'm sure he would. As I said, there are a few players who would walk into our side, but you can say that for any side.

As for Whare, he certainly used to be a great defender but for a player with so many recent lower body injuries you can't be confident his lateral movement is back where it used to be.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Isaiah Yeo is an elite defender if Beau Scott is, his missed tackle rate is very similar to Scotts. Yeo 655 tackles made in 2016 and 30 missed. Scott 572 tackles made and 24 missed. When you compare their offensive output Yeo blows him away. Tamou is significantly better than them both with 656 tackles made and only 20 missed.
Scott dominates in tackles. That's what makes him so good. He is one of the best wrestlers in the game. Tamou plays in the middle whereas Scott played half the season out wide, so it's not comparing apples with apples.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This Pou isn't hating on anyone, he just doesn't rate our players as much as we do which is to be expected.
Exactly. Calling me a troll is misplaced defensiveness. I'm not here rubbing it in that our top side matched your (better on paper) team 6-all. As I said, I think you guys are solid tips for top four this year, and we proved our defensive chops in this latest game. I reckon we'll go pretty well this year too.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Or he's a troll aswell.

Theres no excuse that justifies cheating to the extent the Bulldogs, Storm and Eels did.

Obviously the fans can't control what their club does. But trying to make excuses for it is ridiculous. Every other club is disadvantaged when a club cheats. Eels were worse than Storm... they cheated the cap to steal players from other clubs. Storm did it to keep guys they had developed. That doesnt make it ok... but the Eels cheating was that bit worse.
Put it this way - I'm disappointed we cheated, but if we go on to win the comp I'll f**king take it. Especially after what happened to us in '09 (and '06 and '07). Finding out Melbourne cheated crushed our club, and led to the downward spiral that followed 2009.

betcats

Referee
Scott dominates in tackles. That's what makes him so good. He is one of the best wrestlers in the game. Tamou plays in the middle whereas Scott played half the season out wide, so it's not comparing apples with apples.

Does that mean Scott spent half the year at lock?

Isaiah Yeo was 21 last season dominant tackles or not those numbers are impressive, I'd hazard a guess that Scott would of struggled to match them at the same age.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Does that mean Scott spent half the year at lock?
Yep. So his stats for playing in the middle would be comparable with Tamou's (just as his stats for the edge can be compared with Yeo's) but his overall season stats (plucked from NRL.com for example) are aggregated, so shouldn't be compared to either.

Anyway, stats only tell part of the story.

Isaiah Yeo was 21 last season dominant tackles or not those numbers are impressive, I'd hazard a guess that Scott would of struggled to match them at the same age.
Scott is such a good defender he was playing centre at the same age. Of course, he has always been a very ordinary attacking player.

betcats

Referee
Yeo debuted at 18 in the centres matched up against BJ Leiua which he handled very well from memory, He has played a lot of centre in firsts tbh. Anyway I'm just pointing out he is a very good defender and it's not quite right to say Tamou is our only great defender, Yeo is not quite on Scotts level(yet) but still very good and he compliments that by being a very good running backrower. He runs smart lines and is deceptively agile and fast for a guy his size.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I would go as far as to say Yeo is already a better overall player than Scott, which is why Yeo plays on the edge and Scott no longer does. But like most players his age, Yeo is not a great defender yet. Gutherson is just a freak - not in the team for his attack, that's for sure.

betcats

Referee
f**k me, can the season please start now?

Not until I've made it clear to everyone what a great player Yeo is. You can expect more of the same for the next week and a bit. I'm planning an in depth analysis of all 655 of Yeo's made tackles last season as well as a reason why he is not at fault for all 30 of his misses, you are going to f**king love it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeo is quality. Reminds me of a young Ben Smith (who won a minor premiership at centre and lost a grand final to cheats at edge forward).

soc123_au

Staff member
Not until I've made it clear to everyone what a great player Yeo is. You can expect more of the same for the next week and a bit. I'm planning an in depth analysis of all 655 of Yeo's made tackles last season as well as a reason why he is not at fault for all 30 of his misses, you are going to f**king love it.
I for one wait with great anticipation. When he debuted it seemed out of nowhere. There were guys that seemed well ahead of him. Ivan certainly knew his shit on that call. If he stays healthy he has a hell of a career ahead of him.

Latest posts