What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial vs Penrith

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I love Beau Scott!! This brought a tear to my eye. View attachment 11438

This was after a penrith player lashed out with his boot at Scott on the ground. Penrith were very grubby last night, laying all over the ruck, hands constantly on the ball, constant high tackles on Alvaro, pushes in the back from Wallace to Gutherson after he'd passed the ball and his back was turned.

They deserved all 40 penalties against them last night and especially deserved Yeo being sin binned (he should have been sent off after slowly walking to half way and then stepping across the sideline so the ref could call play back on).

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
If we can create even a small amount of space for French we will be fine. Creating that space is the key though.

Bev creates his own space with his ability to catch the ball and instantly go in the direction he wants to miss the defence. Last night there was a play where he caught the ball and seemingly at the same time stepped back and to the right.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Bev creates his own space with his ability to catch the ball and instantly go in the direction he wants to miss the defence. Last night there was a play where he caught the ball and seemingly at the same time stepped back and to the right.
And with him in the spine he will also create plenty of space for others. Did he make about three line breaks last night? Nobody does that every week (except Hayne in late 2009). When teams realise the threat and take French seriously it will create a lot more space for our outside backs. In a way that Gordon never did.

hindy111

Post Whore
It's the way Mr 85% continues to tell us how great he is that is annoying.

You must be the other 15%
Mr negative again. Instead of embracing hindy111 and his talents. You should feel lucky i post here.Blessed even.
I only ever want to help my fellow parra fans.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
And with him in the spine he will also create plenty of space for others. Did he make about three line breaks last night? Nobody does that every week (except Hayne in late 2009). When teams realise the threat and take French seriously it will create a lot more space for our outside backs. In a way that Gordon never did.

He's also a better passer of the ball than Gordon so defenders rushing in can be exploited more effectively.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He's also a better passer of the ball than Gordon so defenders rushing in can be exploited more effectively.
I think passing would have to be the easiest skill to learn. I'm sure every first grader can do it effectively, especially a veteran. Where you find players not passing is generally where they've been told their job is to challenge the defence and only pass when it is absolutely on. The other instance is players who just don't present enough of a running threat to draw defenders away from their supports. I think this describes Michael Gordon.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I can't agree Pou. Sure every footballer can pass, but there's varying degrees of competence within this skill (eg. A bullet like pass from Joey or Thurston vs a floating hospital pass from Maty Keating). There's also the decision as to who to pass to when there are various options available.

Michael Gordon was a below average "passer".

hindy111

Post Whore
I think passing would have to be the easiest skill to learn. I'm sure every first grader can do it effectively, especially a veteran. Where you find players not passing is generally where they've been told their job is to challenge the defence and only pass when it is absolutely on. The other instance is players who just don't present enough of a running threat to draw defenders away from their supports. I think this describes Michael Gordon.

Passing at full speed isn't easy. Some players feel more at ease at it then others. But I agree - Gordon never created the space to warrant the pass. ( unlike Robinson in his cameo role )
Fullbacks like Gordon are better at running up the middle sniffing for a short ball from a forward with half a line. With there power they are able to break tackles and possible line break. Thou I had seen Gordon do so and not pass for a simple lay off to beat full back. He didn't like to pass nor kick. Another skill Bevan has is to spot a guy with his vision and lay off a kick when a pass is not on.

hindy111

Post Whore
A good example is centres. Jamie lyon was great to watch draw and pass and end a simple play for a try. Plenty of centres are unable to execute that. Pass to early-Pass to late-Pass to the wrong player.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
A good example is centres. Jamie lyon was great to watch draw and pass and end a simple play for a try. Plenty of centres are unable to execute that. Pass to early-Pass to late-Pass to the wrong player.
That's why they're out in the outside backs and not in the halves.

I agree though that vision varies markedly between players, and this is where you might see a player not pass when it's obvious to the fans he should. But players also have very different levels of risk perception (call it decision making). In most cases you've got more to lose by passing the ball (losing possession early in the tackle count) than by not passing it (usually just squandering an opportunity for an overlap).

Remember as well, if nothing's on and someone has to take the tackle it's always better being a bloke closer to centrefield than someone closer to the sideline. That at least sets up the next play better.

BuddPanther

Juniors
Yes sorry, I forgot the first try they scored was the one that Moylan threw the pass, I was thinking that was their second and I know we really started taking players off after that try.
BA had to do that cause they were running on low. If he had kept more of the so called Parra stars on the score would of blown out quicker

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If there's one thing we don't lack is 80 minutes of effort. We proved that last year. Yesterday was just about avoiding injury.

hindy111

Post Whore
That's why they're out in the outside backs and not in the halves.

I agree though that vision varies markedly between players, and this is where you might see a player not pass when it's obvious to the fans he should. But players also have very different levels of risk perception (call it decision making). In most cases you've got more to lose by passing the ball (losing possession early in the tackle count) than by not passing it (usually just squandering an opportunity for an overlap).

Remember as well, if nothing's on and someone has to take the tackle it's always better being a bloke closer to centrefield than someone closer to the sideline. That at least sets up the next play better.
Defenses are to good these days. If make a break its best to try and score then and there.

Latest posts