What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial vs Storm. 11th Feb.

Jack Hammer

Juniors
Any chance Kearney will try a left field pick at some stage to partner SJ? I don't have Sky so haven't been able to catch the Juniors, is Erin Clark just going for the experience?

jaseg

Juniors
Erin Clark is going as the 2nd hooker I'd guess (he has slotted in at 9 a fair few times in 20s... and possibly once or twice in NSW cup too), given that both Luke and Roache weren't picked... leaving just Jazz Tevaga and the non-top 25 James Bell (both backrowers who can play dummy half).

I expect Johnson, Ata & Lino will be the halves used throughout the game.

edit; Lolohea might get some time in the halves too, given the glut of outside backs relative to other positions in the game squad.

Last edited:

jaseg

Juniors
Mind you, don't take my word as gospel - Kearney might very well play Charlie Gubb at hooker and Blake Ayshford in the 6.

spear tackle

Juniors
Somebody asked on the Sky TV FB page if this was being televised. Its not, however the next trial V Titans will be apparently

Just tuned into live stream 20min break , assuming this is last quarter. Warriors 18 Storm 6.
Announcer said defence has been good for Warriors.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Just tuned into live stream 20min break , assuming this is last quarter. Warriors 18 Storm 6.
Announcer said defence has been good for Warriors.

Young Storm team with a pop gun attack and a serious case of the dropsies.

Having said that, our defence, especially in the first 2 quarters has looked quite organised and effective. More so than we are used to at least.

Storm 24 unanswered points.
Some standard drop ball, what seems to be no communication in defense and non urgency at different times as someone else will get it.
Yes SJ, RTS off.
Storm not perfect either.

Storm 30- Warriors 18

Cold Roses

Juniors
Seriously think I saw 1 of the Warriors try's and 2 of the Storms. The feed dropped out every other time a score was happening.

One Warrior

Bench
Looked like no Johnson, RTS, Fusitua, Kata, Hoffman or Vete in second half, Kearney seen what he wanted to
in first half? Full trial next week.

Big Marn

Juniors
yeh i managed to catch the last 3 quarters. missed all the warriors points.
All our main players went off at halftime and never returned. 18-6 to us at half time
We were on defence for almost all of the second half. Thought we wilted badly in the last 10 which is not surprising over there.
Promising signs. I liked the look of a few new faces. Ogden, Pat Sipley.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Some standard drop ball, what seems to be no communication in defense and non urgency at different times as someone else will get it.

To be fair, it only seemed to drop off hugely in the last 20. Lots of substitutions from the starting line up. First 2 quarters they were looking very committed.

Storm dropped a huge amount of ball. Much more than us. A fair chunk of it due to strong tackling by us.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Mixed bag, nobody really jumped out and put there hand up to push for first grade.

Noticeable difference in our attacking and defensive structures. just need to get the timing right on both.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Looked like no Johnson, RTS, Fusitua, Kata, Hoffman or Vete in second half, Kearney seen what he wanted to
in first half? Full trial next week.

I'm guessing that's more or less how it panned out. Pretty standard for trials. The only time I really worry about a trial score line is when a team gets flogged for the full game like we did against the dragons last year.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
We'll be better for the run. There might be some growing pain with the new structures, but once the timing is right I think we could see a different Warriors side than years past (touch wood).

No injuries is the main thing, not just for the trials but also the season. I just don't think we have the depth to cover it.

Leber

Bench
Nice to see us put on 18 unanswered points with a few of our first graders on the park. The wheels totally fell off when they were taken off, but that happens in trials.

Pretty impressed with roger. If he stays injury free he should have a good year.

Rich102

Staff member
It's a new season, but it was the same old story from the Warriors on Saturday night as they blew an 18-0 lead over the Storm to lose 30-18 in a trial game on the Sunshine Coast.

Having led 18-0 just before the break, the Warriors looked to be coasting towards a victory, but their attack faltered in the second half and their defence was caught flat footed on a number of occasions.

Last year the Warriors won their opening trial game, 40-18 against the Titans, so it's wise not to read too much into this performance.

However, it was far from the type of performance new coach Stephen Kearney would have wanted to see, particularly after they lost all three games in the Auckland Nines and they only have next weekend's game against the Titans in Palmerston North to get some confidence before the season kicks off.

The Storm were without Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Jesse Bromwich, but it was a fairly decent side out for them otherwise.

The Warriors brought back plenty of their big guns who were rested from last weekend's Auckland Nines and in first half they were clearly the better side in this game.

The match, played in front of 10,169 spectators was played over four quarters, because of the hot conditions and it was a scrappy first 10 minutes, with both teams guilty of some poor passes and dropped balls.

But the Warriors were the first team to strike, with a try from Tuimoala Lolohea, who was playing on the wing. The try was converted by Mason Lino, to give his team a 6-0 lead.

Just before the end of the first quarter Bunty Afoa picked up the Warriors' second try and new captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck went in soon after the resumption.

The Storm finally got on the board in the last minute of the first half with Cameron Munster throwing a great pass to Joe Stimson that put him into a gap in the Warriors' defence.

Midway through the second half Storm dummy half Slade Griffin, picked up the ball from a ruck close to the Warriors line and dived in for his side's second try.

The Warriors had to defend their line for the first five minutes of the final quarter, but the relentless attacking from the Storm didn't result in any points and the attack came to an end when Ata Hingano made a big break.

However, with nine minutes to go the Storm got their third try, with the Warriors defence caught up by a grubber kick and Jeremy Hawkins was able to get a try.

Five minutes later Linc Port put the Storm in front for the first time as quick passes opened up the Warriors' left edge defence.

Just to add more misery to the Warriors' night Young Tonumaipea scored just before full time for the Storm.

Certainly, the Warriors had players missing and Shaun Johnson wasn't involved in this match for long, but this wasn't the sort of performance to make their fans feel excited about the year ahead.

Storm 30 (Joe Stimson, Slade Griffin, Jeremy Hawkins, Linc Port, Young Tonumaipea tries; Joe Stimson, Scott Drinkwater, 2 Dylan Kelly goals), Warriors 18 (Tuimoala Lolohea, Bunty Afoa, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck tries; Mason Lino 2, Ata Hingano goals). HT: 6-18.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/89315522/warriors-concede-30-unanswered-points-in-loss-to-storm