What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial vs Storm. 11th Feb.

ozenzud

Juniors
I watched most of the game except the last 20. Agree first half they looked pretty good and the line speed was so much better than last year. When the line was moving forward the Storm was going nowhere.

The handling was poor and Jazz's general play was good but dummy half service was a bit rough.

RTS was pretty good running 3rd or 4th tackle on the back of some good forward momentum. Gubb seems to have put on some weight and making more impact at the collision. 5/8 options are a little limited. Hope Foran does get his contract registered.

Can't comment on last 20.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
One thing that I've been growing increasingly frustrated with is our lack of attack without SJ. We had nothing in the 9s, and looks like we didn't score a point without him again last night.

Really hoping this isn't the case again this year, because he can't do it all himself.

Big Marn

Juniors
It's a new season, but it was the same old story from the Warriors on Saturday night as they blew an 18-0 lead over the Storm to lose 30-18 in a trial game on the Sunshine Coast.

Having led 18-0 just before the break, the Warriors looked to be coasting towards a victory, but their attack faltered in the second half and their defence was caught flat footed on a number of occasions.

Last year the Warriors won their opening trial game, 40-18 against the Titans, so it's wise not to read too much into this performance.

However, it was far from the type of performance new coach Stephen Kearney would have wanted to see, particularly after they lost all three games in the Auckland Nines and they only have next weekend's game against the Titans in Palmerston North to get some confidence before the season kicks off.

The Storm were without Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Jesse Bromwich, but it was a fairly decent side out for them otherwise.

The Warriors brought back plenty of their big guns who were rested from last weekend's Auckland Nines and in first half they were clearly the better side in this game.

The match, played in front of 10,169 spectators was played over four quarters, because of the hot conditions and it was a scrappy first 10 minutes, with both teams guilty of some poor passes and dropped balls.

But the Warriors were the first team to strike, with a try from Tuimoala Lolohea, who was playing on the wing. The try was converted by Mason Lino, to give his team a 6-0 lead.

Just before the end of the first quarter Bunty Afoa picked up the Warriors' second try and new captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck went in soon after the resumption.

The Storm finally got on the board in the last minute of the first half with Cameron Munster throwing a great pass to Joe Stimson that put him into a gap in the Warriors' defence.

Midway through the second half Storm dummy half Slade Griffin, picked up the ball from a ruck close to the Warriors line and dived in for his side's second try.

The Warriors had to defend their line for the first five minutes of the final quarter, but the relentless attacking from the Storm didn't result in any points and the attack came to an end when Ata Hingano made a big break.

However, with nine minutes to go the Storm got their third try, with the Warriors defence caught up by a grubber kick and Jeremy Hawkins was able to get a try.

Five minutes later Linc Port put the Storm in front for the first time as quick passes opened up the Warriors' left edge defence.

Just to add more misery to the Warriors' night Young Tonumaipea scored just before full time for the Storm.

Certainly, the Warriors had players missing and Shaun Johnson wasn't involved in this match for long, but this wasn't the sort of performance to make their fans feel excited about the year ahead.

Storm 30 (Joe Stimson, Slade Griffin, Jeremy Hawkins, Linc Port, Young Tonumaipea tries; Joe Stimson, Scott Drinkwater, 2 Dylan Kelly goals), Warriors 18 (Tuimoala Lolohea, Bunty Afoa, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck tries; Mason Lino 2, Ata Hingano goals). HT: 6-18.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/89315522/warriors-concede-30-unanswered-points-in-loss-to-storm

yeh, i read this article last night when it first went up on the stuff website. And i thought this is abit of a hatchet job. David Long was the writer. I was thinking either he didnt actually think things through or he is just a knob. Because his article didnt make note of the fact that not only SJ was missing in the second half but also Kata,RTS, Vete, Fusitua, Hoffman and Maumolo. I actually thought we defended ok before fatigue took over.They actually snuffed out quite a few Storm raids in their red zone. It took 3 sets of six for the Storm to get one of tries. and there was a beauty of a trysaver which i didnt catch the number of the player. One of the newer guys. After that the floodgates opened a bit, without about 15mins to go.

Tui got moved to fullback at halftime and made yet another mess of it. One try came off the back of him kicking off over the sideline just after storm scored so they got a penalty on halfway. Then he failed to catch a perfectly gettable high ball (for a fullback) and storm scored straight after again. Not helpful when your team is tiring. Still running upright in the red zone and being carried back by defenders <sigh>. So yeah, looks like Tui hasnt learned much over the offseason. Interesting that it was Tui and not Fusitua that got shifted to FB at halftime....

Anyway, Long posted another article today which is much more representative of what actually happened last night... Odd character..

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/89317377/warriors-loss-to-storm-no-indicator-for-season-ahead

Last edited:

Big Marn

Juniors
One thing that I've been growing increasingly frustrated with is our lack of attack without SJ. We had nothing in the 9s, and looks like we didn't score a point without him again last night.

Really hoping this isn't the case again this year, because he can't do it all himself.

Yeh, Luke didnt play. By the sounds of it, him and RTS have been cooking up some plays that we have yet to see so hopefully it will be another point of attack that doesnt involve SJ. And fingers and toes still crossed on Foran.....

Rich102

Staff member
He's a quiet achiever, that boy.
Does a lot of good stuff, but you have to be watching him.
I really hope we develop him right; he could be special.

Scorpio30

Bench
Great atmosphere at Kawana last night...10000 looked like 15000...blimin hot and sunny though...the second half was mostly played under shade and flood lighting...and Locke by all accounts went well for the Falcons against the Dolphins in the earlier game. I'd post photos but they exceed the 1mb limit LOL

didnt stream it. was at work in the 45 degree heat:rage::rage:
can someone fill me in on the ata sj combo (likely round 1 starters)

any injuries

possible contenders for bench spots

and how well did gubb go