What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tui being lured away?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
For those that have seen a bit of him, how does he stack up with Ash Taylor and Nathan Cleary - like most I am incredibly impressed with Taylor

jaseg, Rhythm etc have seen a lot more than me. I'm not a league guy as I continuously say, but I know a natural league player, in the halves, when I see one. They have time, they organise well, their direction is predominantly forward (not sideways like SJ and Tui), they make those around them better - consistently. I would put guys like Cleary, Taylor, Te Maire Martin, Stacey going way back, and Ata on the limited amount (3-4 games) I've seen.

You could line up Tui and SJ in the halves from round 1, 2017 and it'd get the fans right up. They'd see the 60 drubbings v the Knights, Tigers etc (presuming we don't play em in round one) and think yeah boi, these guys will take us to premiership glory. Then you'd play top 4 sides - the likes of which I think we've beaten once (Storm last year) in McFail's time - and their wont to play sideways and off the cuff would offer nothing meaningful against solid defensive structures. I'd like to hear of a premiership winning side that's ever achieved it with two enigmatic, off-the-cuff players in their halves. Doubt it exists.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Bit disrespectful to describe them as tackle bots - Hoffman certainly isn't that, and Mannering's work is invaluable.

I wasn't being disrespectful. I'd have Mannering in my team every day of the week and wouldn't swap him for anyone. Me saying tackle bots, that's pretty much their game now and what they're both known for. Neither really have offloads built into their game anymore and recently (this year) when they do try, it has resulted in an error.

I agree that defence wins titles but it's feel it's more how the coach isn't selecting teams that allows us for more scope in attack. He has his favourites and sticks with them.

As farcical as it sounds, I wouldn't be surprised if Tui was dropped this week for Wright, as Tui has some new 'work ons' after his dismal showing V Manly.

evansd34

Juniors
Looks like Cappy's selection f**kups might cost us one of our most talented young players...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11677124

Let face facts, Tui needs to be a priority signing. My vote would be to bench or drop Manu and play Tui on the wing for the reminder of the season. If Tui was on the wing last weekend instead of Manu I have no doubt that we would have won. Manu is past his best and like Manly are also dealing with (B Stewart), we have to recognise this and take action. He is a much loved member of the side but an old slow outside back who is prone to errors is not going to cut it in the NRL in 2016 or 2017! McFadden, I believe is simply too scared to have this conversation, for fear of the backlash from Manu fans. Its just got to be done for the good of the 2016 season. Rant over!

Meth

Staff member
btw Tui's one carry of the ball, where he effectively scrapped another few metres, I thought was actually pretty helpful in getting us into position for a drop goal.

Meth

Staff member
Let face facts, Tui needs to be a priority signing. My vote would be to bench or drop Manu and play Tui on the wing for the reminder of the season. If Tui was on the wing last weekend instead of Manu I have no doubt that we would have won. Manu is past his best and like Manly are also dealing with (B Stewart), we have to recognise this and take action. He is a much loved member of the side but an old slow outside back who is prone to errors is not going to cut it in the NRL in 2016 or 2017! McFadden, I believe is simply too scared to have this conversation, for fear of the backlash from Manu fans. Its just got to be done for the good of the 2016 season. Rant over!

Welcome to the forum.

Tux's contracted until 2018, so I don't think we have to ditch Tui to keep Manu...if we lose Tui, its because for some reason we don't him.

evansd34

Juniors
Welcome to the forum.

Tux's contracted until 2018, so I don't think we have to ditch Tui to keep Manu...if we lose Tui, its because for some reason we don't him.

I strongly feel that we need to manage Manu out, Tui has less errors in his game and is a better attacking option. Manu's main value, that is getting out of the 20 metre zone and starting sets well, is covered by Maumalo and Fusitua. #time4change

JJ

Immortal
btw Tui's one carry of the ball, where he effectively scrapped another few metres, I thought was actually pretty helpful in getting us into position for a drop goal.

McFadden will be thinking he needs to work on his balance, maintaining his feet etc... there are work ons

Last edited:

vvvrulz

Coach
Johnson is a huge disapointment to me - the great halves (Thurston, Cronkl

McFadden will be thinking he needs to work on his balance, maintaining his feet etc... there are work ons

Good thing Leuluai and Gubb don't have any of these famed "work ons"

JJ

Immortal
I think Leuluai is a plod, but the performance against Manly was the best I can recall of him - except stading beside Lisone and not demanding the ball on the last tackle - with Johnson's Benji Marshall approach, Leuluai is probably needed...

Someone mentioned good halves making others look better - certainly the likes of Thurston, Cronk, Sterling and Johns did/do - sadly I don't think we can say that about Johnson... we almost have a NBA model, except he's not LeBron!

Leber

Bench
Tui is a 6 or a 1. Nothing else. Silly being on the wing or centres, he's wasted there.

Even sillier being on the f**king bench. Cappys on drugs.

vvvrulz

Coach
I think Leuluai is a plod, but the performance against Manly was the best I can recall of him -

Certainly turned in a solid game, good work rate, lots of tackles, couple of decent runs.

Didn't do a whole lot of half duties, couple of wobbly not-bad bombs, decent touch or two, didn't really create anything with his centres or fullback. Good enough if he's not required to do much play making.

The thing is, this is the most you'll get from him, an honest days work and not much else.

Reactions: JJ

Meth

Staff member
I think Leuluai is a plod, but the performance against Manly was the best I can recall of him - except stading beside Lisone and not demanding the ball on the last tackle - with Johnson's Benji Marshall approach, Leuluai is probably needed...

Someone mentioned good halves making others look better - certainly the likes of Thurston, Cronk, Sterling and Johns did/do - sadly I don't think we can say that about Johnson... we almost have a NBA model, except he's not LeBron!

Leuluai's second half was probably the best I have seen from him as a half

Meth

Staff member
Tui is a 6 or a 1. Nothing else. Silly being on the wing or centres, he's wasted there.

Lolohea doesn't have a future at 1 if we have RTS

Meth

Staff member
No, but he should be there this year. Not on the bench.

Well, maybe. But how is that developing him for the future? If we treat him like a gap filler, he will always be a gap filler.

Fullback is an important position, no doubt. But Fusitua goes as well there as Tui does.

JJ

Immortal
If he's marked as a utility he's better off leaving IMO

If he's marked as a half someone's seeing something I haven't

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

I'd use the example of Tom Trejobic (sp) at Manly. He's always been a gun who needed to be in their 13. He's played wing, centre, I think even five eighth because he had to be in that side. He's too good not to be. Now that Stewart is injured/too old, he's at FB absolutely killing it which is his best position. But in the mean time, they had to do what was best for the team, not best for Tom.

Same with Tui. He has to be in this side, because he is a better winger than Ken - or at least less crap. I'm not a fan of being a follower but McFail only needs to look around the comp and see that a back on the bench is not best practice.

Leber

Bench
Well, maybe. But how is that developing him for the future? If we treat him like a gap filler, he will always be a gap filler.

Fullback is an important position, no doubt. But Fusitua goes as well there as Tui does.
He played all his junior games in the halves. I dont think it will take too long for him to readjust.

He kinda plays as an extra half when he's at 1 anyway.

Latest posts