What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tui Lolohea eyes Dragons’ move if Kieran Foran’s Warriors’ contract is approved by NRL

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I'm not a subscriber to the thought that all these rumoured signings are becoming tiresome. If you know there's only a slim chance the signing will come off then treat it that way, I'm certainly not putting all my eggs in each rumour basket.

Sometimes also I believe you need to take the opportunity when it arises. I don't see entirely how Lolohea would fit into the 2017 structure but we will see a vastly different squad in 2018 and I'd be happy to have Lolohea as part of that. Maybe he floats around a little in 2017 which won't hurt us as he's a great player regardless of position

Good post. Yes Lolohea isn't exactly an 'organising halfback', but then again neither is Mann, or Widdop, Or Hutchison really. So what have we got to lose signing Lolohea to play 5/8 and Widdop to play halfback.
There's nobody else on the market right now for the halves, we all just have to accept that fact. A halfback isn't going to reveal themselves out of thin air.
Lolohea would be a great asset to any team. He's also only 21.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Good post. Yes Lolohea isn't exactly an 'organising halfback', but then again neither is Mann, or Widdop, Or Hutchison really. So what have we got to lose signing Lolohea to play 5/8 and Widdop to play halfback.
There's nobody else on the market right now for the halves, we all just have to accept that fact. A halfback isn't going to reveal themselves out of thin air.
Lolohea would be a great asset to any team. He's also only 21.

If Widdop was ever going to play halfback wouldn't we have tried it at some point over the last 2.5 seasons to allow Benji to revert to his natural running game at 2nd receiver?

This Year?

Immortal
I haven't seen much of this guy, but I don;t get our recent obsession with signing kiwi players. I wish we'd develop our own instead of becoming a retirement village/transit lounge.

BrissyRedV

Bench
The only mention of the Dragons as suitors is in the title and the authors opinion on who we need. Simply another piece of click bait from the DT preying on our desperation. My opinion at this point considering our management's decision to retain Mary, is to potentially not recruit any further and save the coin and salary cap space until he is sacked for the 2018 season. I mean seriously, we have so much wasted talent in the team because of him, what's the point in wasting more player talent?

Gareth67

First Grade
It really is a pity , when these players come onto the market , hopefully , and consider a move to the Dragons , that they will see one huge obstacle in their way .
The inability of our current coach to get the best from them , and also to improve the individual as a player .

This bloke has tremendous talent and would be an asset to any team , however as much as I would like to see him in our clubs colours , I believe that the ' stumbling block '
would make him look at other clubs .

Unless we pay massive overs , and that is what he will be expecting after signing Vaughan , the Dragons just won't be in the hunt against teams such as the Rorters ,
who have been strangely quite of late on the recruitment front .

Dragonslayer

First Grade
It really is a pity , when these players come onto the market , hopefully , and consider a move to the Dragons , that they will see one huge obstacle in their way .
The inability of our current coach to get the best from them , and also to improve the individual as a player .

This bloke has tremendous talent and would be an asset to any team , however as much as I would like to see him in our clubs colours , I believe that the ' stumbling block '
would make him look at other clubs .

Unless we pay massive overs , and that is what he will be expecting after signing Vaughan , the Dragons just won't be in the hunt against teams such as the Rorters ,
who have been strangely quite of late on the recruitment front .

I don't believe there would be a "stumbling block" to be honest. IF he signed with us he WOULD play 5/8, that's for sure. Widdop would move to 7 or 1 (Hutch to 7 if Widdop to 1).
The real point here is that we COULD sign Lolohea on a 3 yr deal and as our 5/8. Widdop has only 12mths of his contract remaining, so to be even offered a re-sign he would need to shine very brightly in his new position. Personally, I think it's a no brainer TBH and I think Widdop would welcome the new opportunity as well.
With Field and Herbert and a few of the other young lads coming through, signing Lolohea would be a smart strategic move, as he is still young. The only thing that does concern me is his knee, and has it recovered 100%.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Samy right on , for me he seems to be someone that wont take advice from anyone . but he is the coach and he knows better I guess ....

Spot on hazz I have been at most training section and its his way our the highway.
But hopefully not for much longer.
That why the players get sick of lisening to mary

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I don't believe there would be a "stumbling block" to be honest. IF he signed with us he WOULD play 5/8, that's for sure. Widdop would move to 7 or 1 (Hutch to 7 if Widdop to 1).
The real point here is that we COULD sign Lolohea on a 3 yr deal and as our 5/8. Widdop has only 12mths of his contract remaining, so to be even offered a re-sign he would need to shine very brightly in his new position. Personally, I think it's a no brainer TBH and I think Widdop would welcome the new opportunity as well.
With Field and Herbert and a few of the other young lads coming through, signing Lolohea would be a smart strategic move, as he is still young. The only thing that does concern me is his knee, and has it recovered 100%.

Spot on Dragonslayer.
Many more up side than downside with him.
Mate i think field is the long term solution but mybe in a year or so when he has built up by playing in the cutters against man. Needs 5 to 10 kg to survive nrl imho.
And hopefully by then a new coach as well

Gareth67

First Grade
Dragonslayer , I understand what you are saying , and hopefully this will be the case . As I am sure that most Dragon fans would like to see him in the Big Red V .

However at this point in time there are so many IF's involved , the main one being whether or not Forans contract is approved by the NRL .
If so , and then should the Warriors give Lolohea a release , then we can go into signing mode , if our Board is up to the task .

Last edited: