What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turner extended until 2019

Rabbits20

Immortal
I reckon Turner is on 350k a season with his new contract.

He's worth about 250k but no more.

Travitoh

First Grade
I'd value Bryson as 300k.

Gray as 250k.

Tom 450k

George 400k.

Ok. I don't value the twins that highly at the moment to be honest, not while they're yo-yoing between first and reserve grade.
I would say $350k is about right for Turner. He's an 80 minute backrower who has played most if not all games in the past 2 seasons or so. IMO he should earn more than 2 good but not great outside backs and be at least on par with the twins. $350k could still turn out to be a steal in a season or two should he continue to show the improvement he has so far this term. It'd only be so long until someone like Manly came knocking, resulting in his value going up.

Dogmatix

Juniors
I would currently rate Turner's value at between 0K to 150K so let's take the average and say 75K. So I would have him as a minimum wage player mainly playing NSW Cup and filling in for injuries and suspensions for about 5 games a season

Looking at the NRL fantasy points as a rough guide and ranking his score vs the other edge backrowers on the field, in Rd 1 he was 4th out of 4 (so the worst). In Rds 2 and 3 he ranked equal 2nd to 3rd out of 4 so he was average. So taking the opening 3 games he has been slightly below average. However these opponents are all low on the ladder so he could be well below average vs all edge backrowers in the NRL

Anyways the next 4 to 5 games will show us Turner's and Clark's true value. I am happy to upgrade their value if they perform well against better teams

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I would currently rate Turner's value at between 0K to 150K so let's take the average and say 75K. So I would have him as a minimum wage player mainly playing NSW Cup and filling in for injuries and suspensions for about 5 games a season

Looking at the NRL fantasy points as a rough guide and ranking his score vs the other edge backrowers on the field, in Rd 1 he was 4th out of 4 (so the worst). In Rds 2 and 3 he ranked equal 2nd to 3rd out of 4 so he was average. So taking the opening 3 games he has been slightly below average. However these opponents are all low on the ladder so he could be well below average vs all edge backrowers in the NRL

Anyways the next 4 to 5 games will show us Turner's and Clark's true value. I am happy to upgrade their value if they perform well against better teams

If we're looking at fantasy stats we're not just getting rid of turner we're getting rid of musgrove, Clark, Sutton and starting players like Crichton and Rochow who make really good stats for the time they're on the field but doesn't really mean they're gonna be better players. The problem with fantasy stats is that it counts tackles as "3rd man ins"- a lot of the reason hookers get really high tackle counts. Youre right about one thing though. Our second rowers need to be running more. You just can't sit there and be a tackle machine you need to make metres. It's the reason why Shaun Fensom was dropped from the raiders and is the reason why turner can improve on his game significantly. 33 tackles a game is good but I think you'll find some of the best second rowers make about 30,40+ tackles plus 100 ARM. But turner is young and he has Crichton pressuring him. He will get better.

southsport

First Grade

Based on Cook's outstanding performances at the end of 2016 I would say his real value is much higher than $150k.

alien

Referee
It's hard for a player to take the next step when the coach keeps selecting players in front of you.
Not sure what you mean. Madge has selected him for starting second rower heaps of times. He'll have to lift otherwise Crichton will take his spot.

southsport

First Grade
Not sure what you mean. Madge has selected him for starting second rower heaps of times. He'll have to lift otherwise Crichton will take his spot.

My bad, I read Turner but was thinking Cook........I'm losing it!!! :oops:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Ok. I don't value the twins that highly at the moment to be honest, not while they're yo-yoing between first and reserve grade.
I would say $350k is about right for Turner. He's an 80 minute backrower who has played most if not all games in the past 2 seasons or so. IMO he should earn more than 2 good but not great outside backs and be at least on par with the twins. $350k could still turn out to be a steal in a season or two should he continue to show the improvement he has so far this term. It'd only be so long until someone like Manly came knocking, resulting in his value going up.
Sorry but I just don't think he's worth 350k.

I also don't agree with the guys saying he should be on the minimum wage which is probably about 80-100k.

About 250k is right.

We shouldn't be paying Clark anymore than 200k. But I have a feeling we'd be paying him about the 250k.

Rabbits20

Immortal
If we're looking at fantasy stats we're not just getting rid of turner we're getting rid of musgrove, Clark, Sutton and starting players like Crichton and Rochow who make really good stats for the time they're on the field but doesn't really mean they're gonna be better players. The problem with fantasy stats is that it counts tackles as "3rd man ins"- a lot of the reason hookers get really high tackle counts. Youre right about one thing though. Our second rowers need to be running more. You just can't sit there and be a tackle machine you need to make metres. It's the reason why Shaun Fensom was dropped from the raiders and is the reason why turner can improve on his game significantly. 33 tackles a game is good but I think you'll find some of the best second rowers make about 30,40+ tackles plus 100 ARM. But turner is young and he has Crichton pressuring him. He will get better.
I believe Crichton is a better player than Turner.

Correct re our second rowers. We should start up a thread comparing other sides and how their second rowers run much more than ours do. Sam can't do it all on his own.

Turner is a tackle machine I give him that. But I don't think he has it in him t gain say 100-110 metres against quality sides. Against quality sides previously we have seen him run 50 or less metres. Felise Kaufusi currently shits on Turner!!!!!! I mean another side who allows duds to play in their second row is Manly. Imo Sironen and F. Winterstein are duds!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at the Dragons back rowers, Thompson for example shits on Turner.

I mean I could be here all night Souths til I die. (I'm not kidding either)

I hope Turner gets better!!!!!!!!!!!

Ding dong comes another thought, look at Ethan Lowe, he shits on Turner too. Fug me, the list goes on!!!!!!!!!

Look at Gillett and Thaiday as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Fire up Turner!!!!!!!

Cordner is waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope Turner has a very good match tomorrow and comes of age. I'm not confident about that though.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Keeping in mind Turner filled in at centre in Rd 1 so it effects his stats. But he averages 80 per game

Papalli 143
Corner 141
Lowe 139
Mau'a 120
Buhrer 105
Thaiday 105
Yeo 101
Sue 100
Gillett 100
Hoffman 100
Kafausi 98
Jackson 97
Thompon 97
Bromwich 93
Graham 92
Cooper 91
Frizelle 89
Mata'utia 88
Sutton 87
Turner 80
Whitehead 79
Lewis 77
Lawrence 74
Mcqueen 74
Afoa 72
Aubusson 67
Scott 65
Proctor 65
Sironen 55
Winterstein in 51
Eastwood 51
Cartwright 47

Currently Turner is 20th out of 32. He is within 12 metres, 1 extra run a game, of 5 players, 3 who played in the last origin match.

The Nrl average for metres run by second rowers coincidently enough is 80 metres