Twitter bans Milo Yiannopoulos!

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by alien, Jul 20, 2016.

1. alien

alien Referee

Milo Suspended Permanently by Twitter Minutes Before ‘Gays For Trump’ Party At RNC

[​IMG]

by Ben Kew 19 Jul 2016

Breitbart Tech editor Milo Yiannopoulos has been suspended from Twitter once more just 20 minutes before his “Gays for Trump” event takes place at the Republican National Convention.

The justification for the suspension is currently unknown, although it could be as a result of Milo’s run-in with Ghostbusters actress Leslie Jones on the site. Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey publicly reached out to Jones late on Monday evening after she complained about “abuse” on the platform. Milo was suspended despite the fact that he sent no abusive tweets to the actress.

BuzzFeed gleefully reported that the suspension is permanent, citing a statement from Twitter promising a clampdown on “targeted abuse.” Milo has also received a message from Twitter confirming that that his ban is permanent, copied below.

The statement also promises to tackle “hateful” conduct, in the wake of widespread media condemnation of racist tweets sent to Leslie Jones. However, it remains to be seen whether Twitter will take any action against Jones’ own racially hateful tweets, seen below and archived here.

In a comment, Milo said “With the cowardly suspension of my account, Twitter has confirmed itself as a safe space for Muslim terrorists and Black Lives Matter extremists, but a no-go zone for conservatives.”

“Twitter is holding me responsible for the actions of fans and trolls using the special pretzel logic of the left. Where are the Twitter police when Justin Bieber’s fans cut themselves on his behalf?”

“Like all acts of the totalitarian regressive left, this will blow up in their faces, netting me more adoring fans. We’re winning the culture war, and Twitter just shot themselves in the foot.”

“This is the end for Twitter. Anyone who cares about free speech has been sent a clear message: you’re not welcome on Twitter.”

Twitter, a company in dire financial trouble, has developed a reputation for draconian, onesided and often-unexplained suspensions of conservative users.

Meanwhile, the platform has demonstrated an unashamed bias towards progressive causes like Black Lives Matter, ignoring open calls for violence against police officers that emerged following both the Dallas and Baton Rouge shootings.

In further indication of its political biases, Twitter also let death threats against Republican Senators remain on the platform for months without taking action.

Previous attempts to punish Milo have generated huge backlashes from conservative users, and this one – Twitter’s most severe clampdown on the Breitbart senior editor so far – may generate the biggest yet.

Supporters of Milo, who had more than 338,000 followers on Twitter prior to his suspension, have created the #FreeMilo and #FreeNero hashtags on the platform in protest at Twitter’s latest attack on the conservative commentator. It is currently accumulating approximately 20-30 tweets a minute. Unless Twitter artificially suppresses the hashtag, it’s likely to stay trending throughout the night.

#FreeMilo is currently trending in the United States, at number 6 and rising rapidly.

http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/07/19/breaking-milo-suspended-twitter-20-minutes-party/

2. Game_Breaker

Game_Breaker First Grade

Crying about free speech is hilarious. His free speech isn't impeded, he was still able to whinge about his ban openly and freely

He doesn't have to use twitter and he isn't entitled to use twitter

3. Danish

Danish Referee

I think the cries about free speech are more valid when you realise no one at Twitter responded to the tidal wave of a use directed at Sonia Kruger over the last few days.

People only worry about Twitter users being banned when the hate and vitriol is going a certain direction.

Mind you, Milo didn't even so much as swear at the unfunny comedian lady, and she was engaging him in conversation. Seems a very odd reason to ban him.

I'm sure he won't care, though. The increased publicity and now newfound "martyr for right wing speech" tag will likely just stuff several million into his bank account over the coming few months

alien likes this.
  4. Game_Breaker

Game_Breaker First Grade

Say that is true, that isn't free speech being impeded. He is still able to whinge about it

If people don't like the way twitter is run then don't use it. If I get banned from this forum I won't claim the moderators are blocking my right to free speech. I can still log into facebook and whinge about it

5. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

Twitter can ban Milo because they don't like the cut of his jib.

6. Danish

Danish Referee

Of course they can.

And people can then point out their blatant hypocrisy in doing so

alien likes this.
  7. Game_Breaker

Game_Breaker First Grade

As is their right

8. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

I think Twitter should ban folks on the left if they are abusive but twitters claim is that milo uses Twitter to rattle up the scum into harassing folks.

Not sure if it's comparable to angry lefties or righties blowing up in anger. That said its no skin off my nose who Twitter bans. Butthurt little milo crying about it is good for a lol though

9. Firey_Dragon

Firey_Dragon Coach

To be fair, he has been warned plenty of times that he is violating the terms of service.

Twitter has a major abuse issue, the guy is one of the most high profile trolls on there and to be honest some of the resulting harassment in this instance was disgusting. It would have been an easy decision.

Hypocritical, yep. Deserved, yep. I'm sure he'll find another platform that his extreme right wing juveniles will follow him on.

Shorty and SpaceMonkey like this.
  10. madunit

madunit Super Moderator Staff Member

I love the whole crying about "no free speech" on the internet line.

The internet isn't a democracy. Far from it.

11. alien

alien Referee

12. Mong

Mong Post Whore

Free milo?

Hahaha

13. Aus_Dog

Aus_Dog Juniors

Removed Alien off ignore to see if he would actually be able to criticise the Trump campaign just once over the Melania speech. He it still believing their lies I see.

As for this thread, sucked in to the idiot, got what he deserved

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  14. alien

alien Referee

Breitbart bad boy Milo not silenced by Twitter ban
    By Michelle Leibowitz
    Published July 20, 2016
    FoxNews.com

[​IMG]
    Yiannopoulos delights in provoking critics, but now he'll have to do it without Twitter.

Breitbart journalist Milo Yiannopoulos lashed back at Twitter Wednesday after it banned the political provocateur for life, calling the 140-character platform a “safe space only for leftist ideology.”

Yiannopoulos condemned the social media site for silencing conservatives while freely carrying the hateful messages of anti-police groups. The openly gay conservative bomb thrower’s ouster had the hashtag #FreeMilo trending Wednesday as users from the left and right call for his return.

“[Twitter] targets conservatives while letting the left, Islamists, and in particular the social justice warrior vanguard of the millennial generation get away scot-free with abusive, racist and harassing behavior,” Yiannopoulos, a darling of the young conservative movement, told FoxNews.com in an email.

Although Yiannopoulos himself didn’t post explicitly racist language, he was blamed when some of his followers directed a storm of racist tweets at “Ghostbusters” actress Leslie Jones following his scathing movie review in which he criticized her character for perpetuating black stereotypes.

Yiannopoulos said he doesn’t take responsibility for the tweets, and said the situation only escalated because Jones responded by “attempting to call her trolls names.”

Insisting he didn’t break Twitter’s terms of service, Yiannopoulos highlighted extreme ideology that has been permitted on the site, pointing to posts that call for the “celebration of the deaths of police” and offensive tweets against whites from Jones herself.

upload_2016-7-21_6-3-45.png
    Leslie Jones was the object of Twitter derision after Yiannopoulos' scathing "Ghostbusters" review

“Besides ISIS and every other Islamist group planning and organizing on Twitter, you have the highest-ranking white member of Black Lives Matter, Shaun King, calling for a coup if Trump is elected,” he said, adding Jones ironically retweeted a message that called him “a gay Uncle Tom.”

Jones, who announced Monday she was quitting Twitter, had retweeted the racist messages she received, prompting a volley of disparaging tweets between Yiannopoulos and herself.

Yiannopoulos referred to Jones as a “black dude” and pegged her “barely literate.” The ban followed shortly after Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey tweeted at Jones to privately message him.

“People should be able to express diverse opinions and beliefs on Twitter. But no one deserves to be subjected to targeted abuse online,” a Twitter spokesman told FoxNews.com in an email. “We know many people believe we have not done enough to curb this type of behavior on Twitter.”

According to Yiannopoulos, Twitter hasn’t banned Jones for racist language for the same reason it banned him, since the site “actively works to stifle opinions it doesn’t like.”

“The only important part of the equation is the politics and identify groups of the person sending the tweet---not the content of their message,” he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...bad-boy-milo-not-silenced-by-twitter-ban.html

15. alien

alien Referee

I thought you couldn't see my posts??? Did you step out of your safe space (took me off your ignore list)??? Lol.

16. Aus_Dog

Aus_Dog Juniors

I edited my post above as I removed the ignore to see if you had finally learned something. Guess you didn't

17. SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Coach

Did anybody of note abuse Kruger though? She copped it for sure but it was from a whole bunch of nobodies, in the same way as women like Clem Ford, Van Badham or Anita Sarkesian (sp) copped it previously. It's a problem but not one that's easily solved without banning thousands of individuals.
    Milo is a high profile individual with prior form (and a LOT of followers) so it makes more sense that he was singled out for attention. With great power (in Twitter terms, lots of followers) comes great responsibility, the more followers you have the more you need to expect that your tweets may have repercussions.

18. alien

alien Referee

19. Meth

Meth Referee

Twitter presides over a community. If they deem that a user is not good for the community, they can remove them. Case closed. Same as LU. Sure, there'll be users who get away with what others won't and it won't be fair...but that's life.

Never heard of this guy before, but I immediately have no sympathy for him.

20. alien

alien Referee

LOL!!!