What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Separate Competitions QLD/NRL & NSWRL

Marlins

Juniors
I believe NSWRL fans want there own NSW competition and not be part of the NRL. This would be a great chance and opportunity for the rest of the rugby league fans of Australia, NZ & PNG to have there own break away competition and go to regions the current NRL are not prepared to do. There is so much wasted potential in player talent in so many areas and NSWRL is holding it back.
I think this should be the setup -
The new NRL
North Devils (cairns)
NQLD Cowboys
Mackay & Whitsundays Marlins
Central Queensland Capras
Sunshine Coast Falcons
Redcliffe Dolphins
Brisbane Broncos
Ipswich Jets
Gold Coast Titans
PNG Headhunters
Auckland Warriors
Christchurch Bulls
Melbourne Storm
West Coast Pirates

NSWRL
Newcastle Knights
Central Coast Team
North Sydney Bears
Manly Sea Eagles
Penrith Panthers
Parramatta Eels
Balmaine Tigers
Western Suburbs Magpies
Canterbury Bulldogs
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Easts Roosters
Cronulla Sharks
St.George Dragons
Illawarra Steelers
Canberra Raiders

This would create so much growth for RL.

Pommy

Coach
How much meth have you had today?

Why would you call the new competition the NRL when from foundation your including 3 nations? Why do you believe NSW fans want our own league? Most NSW fans just don't what their club to be the one that gets the axe.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Australasia rugby league!
Bottom 8 teams this week are from nsw, they could form the second division for the ARL premier league!

The NRL need to sort out Sydney and get at least a 2nd Brisbane side (or even a 3rd). They need to strengthen Newcastle, Canberra, Nth Qld and Wollongong/South Coast. They need to promote and nurture their expansion markets in Gold Coast, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, NZ 2/3, PNG. They need to get the 2nd tier sorted too.

And as something utterly left field, they need to plonk a team in Singapore. Gives RL players an 'exotic' destination away and opens up Asia to NRL.

I'd also like to see an FA Cup style Wednesday night RL knock out cup. Welcome all comers - NRL teams can submit a team if they like - using their colours/logos but probably not their First Graders. But imagine teams from anywhere Australia duking it out and the final is played the week leading in to the GF or even on GF afternoon. Make the $$$ prize worthwhile and you'd get people interested. Im sure Fox would subsidise it - f me, they subsidise the soccer FFA cup.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The NRL need to sort out Sydney and get at least a 2nd Brisbane side (or even a 3rd). They need to strengthen Newcastle, Canberra, Nth Qld and Wollongong/South Coast. They need to promote and nurture their expansion markets in Gold Coast, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, NZ 2/3, PNG. They need to get the 2nd tier sorted too.

And as something utterly left field, they need to plonk a team in Singapore. Gives RL players an 'exotic' destination away and opens up Asia to NRL.

A team in Asia would be great...

I have no idea if it would work, but its such a huge population, RL would only need to be a niche interest to get 20k to a game.

Though a team in Indonesia seems more reasonable. (There might also be some cities in South China that could sustain a team; Guangzhou or Shenzhen. In cities of 10-20million people should be able find a few thousand interested souls)

I'd also like to see an FA Cup style Wednesday night RL knock out cup. Welcome all comers - NRL teams can submit a team if they like - using their colours/logos but probably not their First Graders. But imagine teams from anywhere Australia duking it out and the final is played the week leading in to the GF or even on GF afternoon. Make the $$$ prize worthwhile and you'd get people interested. Im sure Fox would subsidise it - f me, they subsidise the soccer FFA cup.

I sort of agree with this one...

I actually think they should just really develop the State Championship and open up the Reserve Grade comps to any club that meets a few minimum requirements. Probably break the State comps up in to smaller divisions to save on travel (maybe 2 in NSW; North/South of Sydney to give these country clubs a chance to play on a big stage against the big Sydney clubs) as well as independent divisions for NZ, Melbourne and Perth if they can get enough teams together.

Most of the clubs would be way out of their depth, but in an amateur/semi-pro league, just the sense that maybe one day my local team will play in the State Championship as the curtain raiser to the NRL GF would really invigorate bush footy in particular. It would be huge for bush footy and give the NSW/QLD Cup reserve grades a real reason to exist beyond feeding players into Firsts.

And it would be a good long term strategy to develop an "attendance culture"; "going to the park to support you local team" is a toe in the door that pushes the idea of "football is better live"

alien

Referee
I'm totally against having a club in Asia. We should worry about the sport in our own nation first. We should have a Perth club, an Adelaide club, and a second Brisbane club. They don't have to be new clubs though. They could be relocated clubs from Sydney (eg Perth Roosters, Adelaide Sharks, Brisbane Bulldogs). There are too many Sydney clubs for a national comp.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'm totally against having a club in Asia. We should worry about the sport in our own nation first. We should have a Perth club, an Adelaide club, and a second Brisbane club. They don't have to be new clubs though. They could be relocated clubs from Sydney (eg Perth Roosters, Adelaide Sharks, Brisbane Bulldogs). There are too many Sydney clubs for a national comp.

"RL is being swamped by Asians"

The sooner the NRL put another club in Queensland and put in a Perth club and a Wellington club the better for Rugby League. With them 5 clubs in we will get a mega TV deal.

Marlins

Juniors
The sooner the NRL put another club in Queensland and put in a Perth club and a Wellington club the better for Rugby League. With them 5 clubs in we will get a mega TV deal.[/QUOTA
Agreed
Ditch the Tigers to NSW cup and split the merge. Then bring in -
West Coast Pirates
Wellington Orcas or Chrixtchurch Bulls
Ipswich Jets or Redcliffe Dolphins or CQLD
It's really that simple.

Pommy

Coach

What a shocker.
What about Darwin Rabbitohs?
In all seriousness there's a finite limit to how much revenue can be generated in Australia a team in Asia could really expand the revenue stream.
Hopefully the same is about to happen in England with the Toronto side.

alien

Referee
What a shocker.
What about Darwin Rabbitohs?
In all seriousness there's a finite limit to how much revenue can be generated in Australia a team in Asia could really expand the revenue stream.
Hopefully the same is about to happen in England with the Toronto side.

My point is the NRL should have teams in places in Australia that should have teams, before new teams from outside of Australia come into the NRL. We should have a Perth team, an Adelaide team, and a second Brisbane team. The Perth and Adelaide teams can be relocations from Sydney though. The second Brisbane team might not work as a relocation from Sydney. Queenslanders probably wouldn't get behind an ex NSW club. If 2 Sydney clubs relocate to Perth and Adelaide, and a new Brisbane team comes in, and the Central Coast Bears come in, then that would be a good 18 team comp. There really isn't enough talent to have more than 18 teams.

Pommy

Coach
My point is the NRL should have teams in places in Australia that should have teams, before new teams from outside of Australia come into the NRL. We should have a Perth team, an Adelaide team, and a second Brisbane team. The Perth and Adelaide teams can be relocations from Sydney though. The second Brisbane team might not work as a relocation from Sydney. Queenslanders probably wouldn't get behind an ex NSW club. If 2 Sydney clubs relocate to Perth and Adelaide, and a new Brisbane team comes in, and the Central Coast Bears come in, then that would be a good 18 team comp. There really isn't enough talent to have more than 18 teams.

So theres to many Sydney teams lets move them to the other side of a continent but start a new old team just up the road from Sydney, makes perfect sense.
Perth should have a team for sure, I'm not sure if Adelaide is really big enough to support a club though and we don't want any more clubs which are relying on the NRL to bail them out. Queenslanders might not support an NSW side initially but South Melbourne don't do to bad now.

alien

Referee
So theres to many Sydney teams lets move them to the other side of a continent but start a new old team just up the road from Sydney, makes perfect sense.
Perth should have a team for sure, I'm not sure if Adelaide is really big enough to support a club though and we don't want any more clubs which are relying on the NRL to bail them out. Queenslanders might not support an NSW side initially but South Melbourne don't do to bad now.

Yes I believe the Bears should be allowed to come back into the NRL and be based on the Central Coast, which is where they were/are willing to relocate to. They should keep the North Sydney area as an extra junior district area and play 1 home game a year at North Sydney Oval during Heritage Round. This would help them continue to get supporters and sponsors from that area.

If a current Sydney club wanted to relocate to the Central Coast, and the Bears came back in as the Perth or Adelaide team, that would be fine too.

Over a million people live in Adelaide. If the NRL wants to be seen as a true national comp, it needs a team in Adelaide. It's a large market that should have a team. An Adelaide club would mean more money for the NRL from rights too.

Swans moved to Sydney but AFL wasn't already popular here in Sydney. Sydneysiders were probably just happy they got a team. Queenslanders probably wouldn't be very willing to accept an ex NSW team. Surely you know what Queenslanders are like. If it could work, then fine.

adamkungl

Immortal
We should be promoting and growing the game with our nearest Asian neighbors but a top flight team is a long, long way off.
I do not agree with plonking teams in places that don't produce any players. Perth is about as far as you can stretch that at the moment.

Realistic candidates for new NRL teams in the short term.
Perth
Wellington
Christchurch
Brisbane City
Ipswich(-Toowomba)
Central Coast
PNG is a special case, its political/economic situation presently is a huge block on NRL potential but in football terms it's right up there.

Medium term work needs to be done in Adelaide to prepare for a team down the track.
Tasmania and Darwin should be given more attention at all levels but will never have an NRL team in all likelihood.

Asia... really hard to see at the moment. Grow the game from the bottom up and ask again in 20 years.

ASAP: Perth + NZ1
10 years: Brisbane2 + NZ2 or CC
20 years: Adelaide + Brisbane3 or CC

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Yes I believe the Bears should be allowed to come back into the NRL and be based on the Central Coast, which is where they were/are willing to relocate to. They should keep the North Sydney area as an extra junior district area and play 1 home game a year at North Sydney Oval during Heritage Round. This would help them continue to get supporters and sponsors from that area.

If a current Sydney club wanted to relocate to the Central Coast, and the Bears came back in as the Perth or Adelaide team, that would be fine too.

Over a million people live in Adelaide. If the NRL wants to be seen as a true national comp, it needs a team in Adelaide. It's a large market that should have a team. An Adelaide club would mean more money for the NRL from rights too.

Swans moved to Sydney but AFL wasn't already popular here in Sydney. Sydneysiders were probably just happy they got a team. Queenslanders probably wouldn't be very willing to accept an ex NSW team. Surely you know what Queenslanders are like. If it could work, then fine.

Well any Sydney side given the opportunity to relocate to the CC or Adelaide is probably going to choose the CC.
People keep suggesting the relocation of Bulldogs, this utterly amazes me they have the best attendance figures and have a good record of engaging with "new Australians" so their supporter base doesn't look like it's going to dwindle. Bulldogs would be the last team forced out of Sydney.

Latest posts