What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrone Peachey.... Best position?

Royce is King

Juniors
Looking through everybody's teams for next year, including the one i put forward a while ago, i think we all seem to forget how well Tyrone Peachey has played at 5/8 since he came to the club.

Not only how well he plays, but also the team has had some massive wins while he has played at 5/8 , most of the time with a makeshift partner at 1/2.

Phil Gould rates him our origin smokey for 2016, and i think the team will be much better if he plays 80 min. To me he is just not big enough to be a great backrower, but he has all the ballskills, running game and defence to be one hell of a 5/8 if he can settle in the position.

1.M.MOYLAN
2.J.MANSOUR
3.D.WHARE
4.W.BLAKE
5.D.WATENE-ZELEZNIAK
6.T.PEACHEY
7.J.SOWARD

To be voted player of the year as a utility shows we need this guy in out team for 80 min. 5/8 could be his spot.

ACTPanthers

Bench
The only problem I see with that is he has a mediocre kicking game - Having Soward as our only kicking option on the 5th would get found out pretty quickly by opposition defenses - Personally, I like him off the bench - Coming on when the other teams forwards are huffing and puffing and running rings around them.

Royce is King

Juniors
ACT his kicking game has not stopped him winning games for us at 5/8...... and as i said he has not all the time had a halves partner who can kick like Soward.

Peachey has a kicking game , but with Soward and Moylan i dont think its a problem if he was 3rd choice.

gUt

Coach
Providing Matty Moylan is fit, there's another kicking option right there.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Moylans kicking game isnt that good (not talking goal kicking) - He could get better, but as it stands he's not that good - And as I said, he may have won us games there in the past, but opposition teams would figure out pretty quick that Soward will kick 9/10 times and we'd get shut down. All of this is only my opinion though.

Peachey has a kicking game

Can't say I've seen it to be honest - Not saying he doesn't just I haven't seen anything that would indicate he has enough of one to warrant a permanent shift to the halves

Royce is King

Juniors
ACT I think all teams in 2015 knew 9/10 TIMES that J.T. was going to kick for the COWBOYS......... didn't seem to bother them too much.

I can see what you are saying about his kicking game but he can kick...... not in Soward's league but he can.

IMO our team is way more balanced with a 5/8 that takes on the line.... SOWARD AND WALLACE too similar don't want too run.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Morgan can kick as well, and they had Coote who has a decent long kicking game so that comparison isn't really fair when they had other options who were above average

I do agree that we need a running 5/8 - And I would most definitely see Peach as that option - But only if Moyza increases he's kicking game to take pressure of Soward as a 5th tackle option

mxlegend99

Referee
I think he could be a gun centre or half if we tried to develop him as one. But we have a fair list of young guns in those positions who we wouldn't want to lose aswell.

I would like to see Moylan at 5/8th from Round 1, but my second choice would be Peachey. I think TMM would be best suited to being brought in off the bench for atleast half a season before starting in the halves. Unless we get injuries and don't have the luxury of trying to develop him at our pace.

pantherpuddy

Juniors
maybe peachey could start the season at 6 with TMM on the bench and then peachey is used later in the game as a utility and back up hooker

Frankus

Juniors
Starting Peachey in the backrow would give him more game time. If we start Bryce too, they are similar type players which weakens our pack. We need 2 backrowers on that are going to get in and do the pigs work.

Peachey at 5/8 makes a little bit of sense, but it would be a gamble. I'd keep bringing him off the bench.

The way I see it, unless we sign a world class centre, we have 2 starting spots up for grabs.
Halfback: Wallace or TMM.
Centre - either DWZ, Blake or Rennings. I think it is DWZ's if he wants it.

Moylan needs another season at the back. He is easily the best fullback at the club. I doubt he will have the same impact playing at 5/8 as he can't pick his moments like he can from the back.

The other spots pick themselves.

maple_69

Bench
Peachey off the bench as a backrower with a license to jump into first receiver. Moylan to 5/8 with Peachey and Cartwrighr to take some pressure off him. DWZ at the back and Smith to start in the centers until Blake or Rennings forces him out.

cb4

First Grade
I have always thought his best position would be hooker. I still stick by that, but for your team, lock or impact sub.

betcats

Referee
Peachey never really played half even when he was named. He wasn't organising anything or calling plays or kicking, he was just playing his usual game(running). I think he is best when he just runs and plays footy, putting him in the halves would not suit him imo. He would have to organise and plan and ball play and kick and none of those things come natural to him, it would be restricting in a way.

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
I like him as an impact player off the bench, particularly with the reduced interchange.

He also offers great versatility, the perfect bench player really

Royce is King

Juniors
I did notice on Phil Gould's twitter a/c ,that he was going through the depth we have in the backs in 2016..... and he had Peachey's name along Soward and Wallace in the half's.

TMM will no doubt be part of our future plans, but if it comes down to having Peachey or Wallace in the half's next to Soward in round 1 it's a very easy choice imo. Wallace best days are behind him and having Peachey in the no.6 frees up a spot on the bench for another forward.

If the reports are right and we get Chris Mcqueen, i think Mcqueen becomes the utility on the bench that can play many positions, so having both on the bench means we would be light a front rower.

Frankus

Juniors
Agree - if we sign McQueen, he needs to be in the 17. But your logic we would then be paying Wallace a small fortune to then play Reggies?

Pomoz

Bench
This...
Cartwright was better at 6 than Peachey when he played there.

And This....

Peachey never really played half even when he was named. He wasn't organising anything or calling plays or kicking, he was just playing his usual game(running). I think he is best when he just runs and plays footy, putting him in the halves would not suit him imo. He would have to organise and plan and ball play and kick and none of those things come natural to him, it would be restricting in a way.

Lock, centre, even the wing, but not the halves.

kinghippo

Juniors
if Moylan dosnt move from fullback peachy to 5/8, he compliments all sowards weaknesses, good defender and runner and has shown a bit of a short kicking game.
If Moylan does go to 5/8 peachy should go into the centres, he would be a nightmare out wide to defend against.
He is wasted off the bench, and while he does provide impact coming on I think he can be guilty of trying to hard to make something happen.

murraymob

Coach
peachey said today he wants to stay in the back row and is not moving into the backs. Will smith said he is chasing the vacant center position