What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U19 - France defeats Australia AIS

JasonE

Bench
This result is actually more encouraging for France than game one imo.

Apart from a couple of players Bouzinac and Madani, i don't think the other French players have played at this level before. Great experience for them.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I think I have just understood why union remaining amateur for so long has in the long run given it a huge advantage over league in spreading internationally. Epihany moment.

expansionist

Juniors
I think I have just understood why union remaining amateur for so long has in the long run given it a huge advantage over league in spreading internationally. Epihany moment.

Until you said this I hadnt considered this point either.

Add another one to my mental list of reasons RL hasnt spread globally

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Until you said this I hadnt considered this point either.

Add another one to my mental list of reasons RL hasnt spread globally

It's a bit rough saying that league going professional was a mistake. Moreso that union staying amateur leveled their playing field immensely and enabled a more equitable competition on the international stage, which I guess in turn detracted a bit from international league. Anyway, union is professional now, this will ensure a relatively unfair advantage to rich countries and powerful unions for decades to come.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I think the main reason union spread more than league was because it was played in universities, the military and the elite schools. When people from these backgrounds went overseas for work etc they took union with them. No coincidence really that union did everything in their power to ensure league was banned from these institutions until recent years.

I still find it amazing that no-one questions why league is not played in Sydney's elite schools considering most of it's students interested in sport would have an interest in the states no.1 code......

Evil Homer

Staff member
The reason RU has a better global spread is because they didn't neglect their international scene for 90% of the sport's history.

expansionist

Juniors
This is worthy of its own thread i think there a great number of contributing factors as those mentioned above..

I think the Military ban was a great one - when you look at how RU has propogated throughout the old British empire.

LeagueXIII - You raise a very off topic but interesting point about RL in schools. I wondered about that myself - and to be honest i wonder if RL has really ever cared about such things..

Having worked for a brief period in RL I can tell you private schools did not rate a mention and were certainly not part of a consolidated targeted effort. The small number of development personnel were rushed off their feet reacting to requests from junior clubs and schools.