What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UEFA Champions League 2010/11

boxhead

First Grade
I don't disagree that Real Madrid would be the second best side in the world (and would easily dispose of trash like Liverpool and Arsenal FFS) but some of these ratings are just wrong:

Close, but debatable.

Mate he's definitely the best goalkeeper in the world, I'd struggle to find people who would disagree. There are a lot of brilliant goalkeepers but there's no doubt in most people's minds that he is the best in the world.

Absolute rubbish. Very overrated.

Who is better than him? Lahm, Alves, maybe a few others. Doesn't change the fact he is one of the best in the world.

Again, rubbish. Probably one of the most overrated players in the game. Liability in big matches.

Real's winning record with him as opposed to without him speaks volumes about how important he is to the team, he's very good, not reaching the top echelon perhaps but nonetheless he is a very good player.

Hopeless defensively.

I said good, not wonderful/great/excellent. He is very good attacking-wise but yes he has a lot of issues defensively. He's above average however, which I consider to be 'good'.

Just some perspective. I still agree that RM are a very good side and would most likely be the second best in the world, on paper.

It's just my opinion though, I probably over-rate Di Maria a lot in particular.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Mate he's definitely the best goalkeeper in the world, I'd struggle to find people who would disagree. There are a lot of brilliant goalkeepers but there's no doubt in most people's minds that he is the best in the world.

Again don't know if I would say he is clearly the best, but he is up there for sure so I'll agree.

Who is better than him? Lahm, Alves, maybe a few others. Doesn't change the fact he is one of the best in the world.

Completely disagree. Ramos like Pepe is a liability, very overrated. Give me a list of what you think are the top 20 RBs in the world and I bet I would take them all ahead of him.

Real's winning record with him as opposed to without him speaks volumes about how important he is to the team, he's very good, not reaching the top echelon perhaps but nonetheless he is a very good player.

Again disagree, he is rubbish and you could make a 10 minute video of the f**k ups he has made in big matches, particularly in the CL. He cost Madrid 30M - that is laughable.

I would say Di Maria is a good player, not great yet but definitely has the potential to be.

shiznit

Coach
ahhh... back on the forums again!!

very disappointed by sundays result.

Barca once again far too good...

United were just played off the park.

to make matters worse it looks like they have learnt a single lesson from rome.

ohhh well.... you cant be too disappointed when you see the class of the side who won it.

but its been a decent season. heaps to build on for next season

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
:lol:

Can't believe you are actually serious......
Chelsea's squad is old and would splutter against Real's. Arsenal's squad makes me laugh when thinking about Real's.
And ManU? Maybe........

Look at it this way, only eight or nine Real Madrid First XI players would walk into all three of those teams, not the whole XI :lol:

Casillas - best goalkeeper in the world
Ramos - top three right backs in the world
Pepe - great centre-back
Carvalho - old but very good centre-back
Marcelo - good left-back
Alonso - fantastic central/holding midfielder, would easily walk into all three teams
Khedira - great young holding midfielder
Ronaldo - enough said
Ozil - one of the best young talents in the worldDi Maria - great young winger
Higuain - one of the best young strikers in the world

Then there's Benzema, Kaka, Diarra amongst others thrown in for good measure.

Name me a starting XI that is better than Real's aside from Barcelona's, hell even a bench as well, and maybe I'll believe you.

Cech - Still a Top 5 Goalie
Ivanovic - Solid
Luiz - Great young Cb
Terry - Still very Solid
Cole - Better than both Rm's FBs put together
Essien - better than both Sami and alonso
Malouda - Great winger, nowhere near ronaldo though
Lampard - Still pinballing through life
Ramires - Massive talent, Very inconsitent though
Drogba - Nuff Said
Torres - Nuff Said

Watching Drogba and Torres rape the RM defence would be awesome

And on Casillas, Van der sar is better than him, Julio Cesar and Buffon are still all better,

Last edited:

AusKnightRKO

First Grade

i really dont see whats funny.... have Barcelona actually beaten arsenal at the Emirates?.... how you go there this year?.... and considering we played with our captain and best player on one leg and missing our 2 best defensive players... and in the return leg it took the ref to get you through so you should be proud

Football isn't played on paper, just cause madrid have 1 superstar a few world class players with some great youngsters doesn't mean they would beat everyone

boxhead

First Grade
Cech - Still a Top 5 Goalie
Ivanovic - Solid
Luiz - Great young Cb
Terry - Still very Solid
Cole - Better than both Rm's FBs put together
Essien - better than both Sami and alonso
Malouda - Great winger, nowhere near ronaldo though
Lampard - Still pinballing through life
Ramires - Massive talent, Very inconsitent though
Drogba - Nuff Said
Torres - Nuff Said

Watching Drogba and Torres rape the RM defence would be awesome

And on Casillas, Van der sar is better than him, Julio Cesar and Buffon are still all better,

Yes Chelsea have a quality side, but they don't match Real in terms of the depth and talent in the First XI and squad.

On the Casillas comment, you have got to be f**king kidding me.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Yes Chelsea have a quality side, but they don't match Real in terms of the depth and talent in the First XI and squad.

On the Casillas comment, you have got to be f**king kidding me.

Casillas comes up against one world class team a year and looks average.... hes not as good as hes made out to be.... and name me a better goalie than Van der sar in the last 3 - 4 years... oh yeah Pepe Reina is also better than him

Last edited:

boxhead

First Grade
Again don't know if I would say he is clearly the best, but he is up there for sure so I'll agree.

Well I guess it depends on who you talk to, even looking at him without the Madrid glasses on tells me he is better than the others, but it is marginal. There are so many great players in each position in football, and goalkeepers are no different.

Completely disagree. Ramos like Pepe is a liability, very overrated. Give me a list of what you think are the top 20 RBs in the world and I bet I would take them all ahead of him.

Hmm I'll take your word for it but it's just my opinion.

Again disagree, he is rubbish and you could make a 10 minute video of the f**k ups he has made in big matches, particularly in the CL. He cost Madrid 30M - that is laughable.

Definitely not worth 30 million, but the fact remains Real's record with him is much better than without him. Again, not in the top echelon but he's good enough. A lot would argue one of the richest clubs in the world could definitely do better though.

I would say Di Maria is a good player, not great yet but definitely has the potential to be.

I love watching him play, he's a massive asset to the team and probably doesn't get enough credit considering his opposite-sided winger at the club happens to be C.Ronaldo. He's gangly but effective. I think he's in the same pool as Ozil, I will be hugely disappointed if the club fails to keep him.

Cech and Casillias are on the same page

Drogba was one of the best strikers in the world last year but this year he has lost his touch and is declining.

the rest I'm not gonna argue.

Casillas comes up against one world class team a year and looks average.... hes not as good as hes made out to be.... and name me a better goalie than Van der sar in the last 3 - 4 years... oh yeah Pepe Reina is also better than him

Manuel Neuer considering he is the best goalkeeper in the world.

Why are Arsenal at home your benchmark lol

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Neuer is great but is still prone to stupid mistakes.. but he has done what Lloris hasn't and actually steped up his game...but van der sar has been brilliant and ive seen him make 1 mistake in the 5 years hes been at Man utd, if we had him at arsenal we would have won something in the last 5 years..

And no there not but if we playing football on paper why didn't barcelona kill them and why did it take the ref to get them over the line in spain

Last edited:

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Neuer > Cassillias.

GK's (on most recent form/ability) :

1. Neuer
----------------

Lloris
Cassilias
Akinfeev
Cech

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Originally Posted by CC_Eagle
Neuer > Cassillias.

GK's (on most recent form/ability) :

1. Neuer
----------------

Lloris
Cassilias
Akinfeev
Cech
not a fair judgement to make, casillias has been performing well alot longer

Akinfeev maybe not as deserving as the other four, but apart from Van der Sar, I can't think of any other keep deserving of a 'Top Five' spot.

To be fair on recent form he is in way infront. A standout when his team had 6 put past them against Man U. Cassilas is still great they're both way above everyone else but how bad is Julio Cesar going? Possibly best goalkeeper before the wc now he's garbage.

Latest posts