What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UEFA Champions League 2011/12

Eddie.

Bench
Roberto-Di-Matteo-Celebrations-Chelsea-Champi_2767967.jpg

Eddie.

Bench
Whatever people say about him. He is heart and soul of Chelsea. 8 managers at Chelsea have seen fit to make him captain. Capello reinstated him as England captain.He is a very inspirational figure and leader if your talking pure football. I would have rather the heros of the night took centre stage with the trophy. However no one went through more pain then him in Moscow. No one has been at this club longer. No one has sweated more Chelsea blood for this trophy. He deserves this moment even if changing into his full kit was a little cringe worthy.

He has held this Chelsea side together over the years. His influence has been as strong as a managers at most other club. He's been a goose to the very end some of things he has done. However at Chelsea alone he will always be Captain, Leader, Legend

Last edited:

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I think it's very fitting that Chelsea won the CL without Terry. He is a horrible human being and IMO a vastly overrated player. Certainly is a good on-field leader and not a bad player by any means but he is not and never has been a world clas player.

I have immense respect for most of Chelsea's other senior players, especially Drogba who is the real heart and soul of that side. They would have achieved nothing without him. People endlessly bag him for his theatrics but is a huge part of the reason why they won that CL and IMO has always been a joy to watch.

langpark

First Grade
I think it's very fitting that Chelsea won the CL without Terry. He is a horrible human being and IMO a vastly overrated player. Certainly is a good on-field leader and not a bad player by any means but he is not and never has been a world clas player.

I have immense respect for most of Chelsea's other senior players, especially Drogba who is the real heart and soul of that side. They would have achieved nothing without him. People endlessly bag him for his theatrics but is a huge part of the reason why they won that CL and IMO has always been a joy to watch.
I agree 100% with the parts in bold. The rest, hmm..... Do you really get joy out of watching a guy spending 10 minutes per match on the deck?...

Eddie.

Bench

Terry's form in the last 3 months was world class. Although his act against Barcelona means I don't feel sorry for him about missing the final. IN my opinion he is a world class defender when fully fit. He has played with alot of injuries and had some dodgy spells. However in big games generally he has been an outstanding defender. AVB's high line made him look a fool. Gary Cahill is probably better then you and I gave him credit for. He was outstanding against Barcelona and in the final.

Your dead right about Drogba though. Without him, Chelsea wouldn't have won half the trophies they have. I don't think there's a striker like Drogba in world football. He had every single attribute you could want. And, he is the best big game player I have ever seen. Apart from the silly dives that he does sometimes, he is also a very genuine and giving person by the sounds of it.

Last edited:

Eddie.

Bench
Anyway, this side's work is done.

1 CL ( including 6 Semi finals in 9 years)
3 Premierships
4 FA Cups
2 Carling Cups.

10 major trophies with the 10th being their crowning glory. These guys can now be remembered as true winners. I would like to single out 5 Chelsea players who in my opinion are levels and levels above any others in terms of their legendary status in this era. In order of who I respect the most

1. Frank Lampard - The ultimate professional on and off the field. Relentless consistency. 20 goals a season regularly from midfield. Unbelievable ability to churn out 60 matches a year. Made every single clutch penalty in big semis and finals. No one can touch him now, his career is now fufilled totally by this victory. Arguably Chelsea's best ever player.

2. Didier Drogba - 9 goals in 9 Cup finals. I just can't get past that. 100 PL goals. He was everything you could want in a striker. The way Chelsea played he the only man who could do the donkey work and still be world class. He should leave now. He should be remembered for his last kick of the ball in blue as the CL holy grail.

3. John Terry - Explained before. He has had some huge stuff ups, however his sheer passion for the club and huge influence can never be underestimated. When Chelsea lost managers he rallied the troops time and time again.

4. Ashely Cole - Again, whatever you think about the guy, is there a more consistently world class English footballer then Cole. Again in the big games, he is immense. He was my MOM in the CL final. SO many last ditch blocks, goal line clearances.

5. Petr Cech - Cech's shocking injury made him go from arguably in the best 3 keepers int he world to just an above average one. However this season the last few months he returned to his very best. His performances in the semi and final and diving the right way for all 6 penalties was a brilliant performance. A genuine good guy, with no ego.

--------------

These guys have driven his era. I'm just so happy for them that they got their big trophy. It completes their careers. It immortalises them all at Chelsea. Clearly their careers would have been incomplete without this magnificent triumph against all odds. Now they can have no regrets, except maybe Terry.

Last edited:

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Terry's form in the last 3 months was world class. Although his act against Barcelona means I don't feel sorry for him about missing the final. IN my opinion he is a world class defender when fully fit. He has played with alot of injuries and had some dodgy spells. However in big games generally he has been an outstanding defender. AVB's high line made him look a fool. Gary Cahill is probably better then you and I gave him credit for. He was outstanding against Barcelona and in the final.

Your dead right about Drogba though. Without him, Chelsea wouldn't have won half the trophies they have. I don't think there's a striker like Drogba in world football. He had every single attribute you could want. And, he is the best big game player I have ever seen. Apart from the silly dives that he does sometimes, he is also a very genuine and giving person by the sounds of it.

I disagree with you about Terry, he has always striked me as a good defender but not a great one.

Drogba is fantastic, people bag him because of his theatrics, but it doesn't bother me he is a great player.