What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uh-oh - Fiji v NZ - June 2018 in Syd (Triple Header?) - Denver gooooorn

Burns

First Grade
Who actually wants this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
https://fijisun.com.fj/2017/12/19/confirmed-bati-v-nz-2/

SYDNEY TEST: Vodafone Fijian Bati to face the Kiwis in June, next year. Also talks underway to get Tonga here in October.

Two big Test matches have been lined-up for the Vodafone Fijian Bati rugby league side next year.

Fiji National Rugby League (FNRL) board chairman Filimoni Vosarogo indicated to SUNsports yesterday that already confirmed is the June clash against New Zealand in Sydney, Australia.

He said this is an official Test match which will be an interesting clash especially after the Bati scored an upset 4-2 win over the Kiwis at the recent Rugby League World Cup.

“With the recent rankings released by the Rugby League International Federation, the Kiwis are ranked at number 2 while we’re at number five,” the Suva-based lawyer said.

“If we’re able to beat New Zealand again next year then we’ll push them down the rankings and we can go up.”

Vosarogo pointed out that FNRL has already sent an initial request and also a proposal to the National Rugby League (NRL) over next year’s 25th anniversary celebration of rugby league in the country.

“If you remember last year the Fiji Bati side played a Test match against Toa Samoa in Apia to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the sport in Samoa.

“Similarly for our 25th anniversary, we’re requesting NRL if we could play Tonga at the ANZ Stadium in Suva in October, next year.”

Vosarogo said the clash between the two Pacific Islands teams could be deemed as the 3rd/ 4th place playoffs of the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

The Fijians were beaten 54-6 by eventual World Cup winners Australia in the first semifinal while Tonga bowed out with a close 18-20 loss to England in the other semifinal.

The Tongan cried foul after a controversial decision by the referee is disallowing an Andrew Fifita try right on full-time.

If the Test clash is approved then it’s an opportunity for local rugby league fans to watch top Tongan players like Fifita, Michael Jennings, Daniel Tupou and Jason Taumalolo playing here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please, not like this. We know that if they are playing in 'Sydney' they mean Campbelltown as a Triple Header. Move the entire thing to NZ, play it at Eden Park/Mt Smart.

Oh and England? And a lesser extent, the Cook Islands? Too bad, too sad.

Burns

First Grade
Did they win?

Why would NZ still be playing? Does that possibly mean that certain NRL Clubs were more concerned about their English players being injured (Widdop, Graham) as Hodgson was?

I put it to the Rugby League community that if Josh Hodgson did not get injured in the Tongan Test (and the bit about him ‘playing injured’) - then their would be not much fuss. Blame can be laid on the feet of, *tin foil hat* Canberra and St George.

As an aside, one of our fearless posters has suggested on Twitter that England play Ireland in Denver in June 2018. Not a bad idea.

deluded pom?

Coach
If it's confirmed then I won't bother with the international game any more. The clubs want the sport to remain club driven. They can have it that way for me. Give yourself a pat on the back NRL clubs.

Stallion

First Grade
If it's confirmed then I won't bother with the international game any more. The clubs want the sport to remain club driven. They can have it that way for me. Give yourself a pat on the back NRL clubs.

Whats more perplexing is that this tripple header is not at the SFS? Would have thought an easy 30000 plus crowd! But no they set the bar low again and go for Campbelltown. ( Campbelltown will be full but it doesnt hold 30000plus.)

Robert B

Juniors
I call bullshit on the article. This is the same FNRL who have not endorsed the Fiji NSW Cup bid for no apparent reason.

hutch

First Grade
Why have a triple header? Wtf is wrong with this sport? Put some money into test match footy ffs. Play this game in nz, play tonga v Samoa in Tonga and play png v Lebanon/Cook Islands in png. How hard is it?

It’s also a joke if the clubs win out not allowing nz And English players travel to the USA. We have come a long way but the baby steps are frustrating! Hopefully England can play Ireland in the USA?

Stallion

First Grade
Why have a triple header? Wtf is wrong with this sport? Put some money into test match footy ffs. Play this game in nz, play tonga v Samoa in Tonga and play png v Lebanon/Cook Islands in png. How hard is it?

It’s also a joke if the clubs win out not allowing nz And English players travel to the USA. We have come a long way but the baby steps are frustrating! Hopefully England can play Ireland in the USA?

The organisers must have been shocked at the full house last season! Probably the same organisers that could not see that Sydney is crying out to see England v Kangaroos at the SFS in a world cup opener. Id say they have looked at the logistics and didnt want too many players travelling too far for internationals. It probably suited Fox tv as they get 3 games at the same ground on Saturday arvo/evening. So id say they have opted for the least expensive and easiest way instead of the much better options of tests in the relevant nations which would manifestly benefit the code.

Coastbloke

Bench
As much as I'd like to fully blame the clubs if this triple header is the case, I really do place the blame on a balless RLIF. Really all the RLIF has to do is email the ARLC highlighting the constitution and the bit about releasing players for Internationals. The clubs don't have a leg to stand on because they release players for Origin..

The game between England and the Kiwis in the US is a great idea but the 2025 RLWC is a long way away and there is time to consolidate. Honestly there are better match ups that make sense as a whole after the 2017 Tournament. Surely the following is a guide as to how it could work during the Origin period.

England v France. This a no brainer. France needs games. I'm sure a few more French players have joined the ESL for 2018. They need to play Tests. Perhaps a Ireland v Wales match.

NZ v Tonga in Auckland.

PNG v Fiji in PNG.

Samoa v Tonga preferably in NZ but if they must they can play it at Campbelltown as a double header with Lebanon and Cooks/Fiji/PNG..

Just MHO of course and please feel free to dissent.

Stallion

First Grade
As much as I'd like to fully blame the clubs if this triple header is the case, I really do place the blame on a balless RLIF. Really all the RLIF has to do is email the ARLC highlighting the constitution and the bit about releasing players for Internationals. The clubs don't have a leg to stand on because they release players for Origin..

The game between England and the Kiwis in the US is a great idea but the 2025 RLWC is a long way away and there is time to consolidate. Honestly there are better match ups that make sense as a whole after the 2017 Tournament. Surely the following is a guide as to how it could work during the Origin period.

England v France. This a no brainer. France needs games. I'm sure a few more French players have joined the ESL for 2018. They need to play Tests. Perhaps a Ireland v Wales match.

NZ v Tonga in Auckland.

PNG v Fiji in PNG.

Samoa v Tonga preferably in NZ but if they must they can play it at Campbelltown as a double header with Lebanon and Cooks/Fiji/PNG..

Just MHO of course and please feel free to dissent.

Well done. I think you've summed it up very well! And your game and locations make good sense! Shame it's not happening in reality.A real shame.

Coparugby

Juniors
Fiji v NZ will involve more NRL players risking injury than an Eng v NZ match. How is it club driven if the highest risk game goes ahead?

roughyedspud

Coach
It's worthwhile reminding some people that France pulled out of playing England mid season,cos Catalan pulled their players out...and that when we invented the exiles concept..

So it's all well and good saying we should play France..but will they turn up?

I like England v Ireland...whether in the UK or north America, a USA v Canada & England v Ireland double header in Toronto,Boston or NYC could sell very well I reckon..

roughyedspud

Coach
So the English players are going to end up flying to UK/France which is around 6 hours longer after a quick google

Or at least hopefully that what happens.

I've said on TRL...good luck telling a Englishman he can't play for his country..

Latest posts