What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Um... Is it just me?

gyallop

Juniors
I understand full well the running of an event and that is why I said you cant say it costs $x to run the event and portray those as "loss' costs. If the Fight are spending 15k and getting back 25k kudos to them for raising bucks and promoting the game.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
South I don't come on here enough to keep up with all the stuff you are all talking about, but the tournament is going to cost the Fight about over $15,000. So you are clear, just a few things we need to pay for (approximates) and why we need to charge and also find sponsors:

Shuttle service to and from field to hotel for players (day) - $1500
Field Rental $2000
Police on site for day (required) $1500
Referees - $1000
Beer truck rental and beer $2500
Caterer/Food on site $1000
Insurance for event $350
After party costs food/drink $2500
T shirts/merchandise -$1500 approximate
Print/ Tv Advertising - $3500 (hoping to advertise at USA7s) which would make this considerably more
HD Video and Editing of event - $1000

If we break even we will be ecstatic but unless a big sponsor comes through we know we will lose money. But the exposure is worth that to us both domestically and internationally. That way more teams from everywhere will want to come and it can grow bigger, and then we can possibly get a TV sponsor involved and make this like the USA 7's. You have to start somewhere to make it big.
We want to play the best competition possible and you guys should too. So if $350 is too much for you, I guess we won't see you guys. Can you afford the $10 admission and then beer costs for the day? Then you should be able to find 10-12 guys to put their hand in their pocket to play. When is the next time the Australian Aboriginals will be in your back yard?

And yes the USARL charge all USARL teams a membership fee to play, plus referee fees up front for the year for NAMOA, insurance costs and a surety bond. All told about $2500 per year to participate in the league per team.

There was a fee last year for when Rhode Island hosted. I know nothing about the event in Vegas, that was AMNRL, I think.

I don't remember who asked, but:
It costs each Fight player $350 dues to play for us each season. We don't like charging it and wish we could have everything paid for but we try our best to have sponsors take care of it all, but we never get there. Each player can find a player sponsorship for $350 and never be out of pocket. Many do, many don't. If they can find one or don't try, then they are out of pocket.
Some of you have asked fighter to be transparent. Saying some of his costs will actually turn into profit. Some will, some won't. Read the bolded type. I think he was being fairly transparent without breaking it down. It's pretty easy to figure out, by looking at the list provided, where money can be made and were it can't.

The idea is to his point is that you need to keep spending money to grab the attention of fans or sponsors... its a chicken and egg thing.... Sponsors dont sponsor you unless you confer a benefit (you can only have so many Dr's as sponsor's). So to obtain sponosor money you need fans. To get fans you gotta spend money on promoting and ensuring that they have a good time and are entertained.

At the end of the day the money spent on the tournament.... even if it is a loss... hopefully will generate enough press or publicity locally that it will help boost fan numbers throughout the season... That is the way I look at things....

And lastly the costs... if anything are good prices...

When renting a bus or a van etc... you just cant rent it for 3 hrs in the am 3hrs in the evening... You gotta rent the damn thing for the entire day pay fuel pay for the guys lunch etc..

Things are far from cheap.

Again the money from the entry fee goes to the teams playing for 1st and 2nd place.

Fighter

Juniors
Put me in my place? Are you all there Bronco Rob?
I have been off the forum for quite a few days which is why I have not replied. And, I am not going to reply in full as obviously you will turn it into "my agenda".
I do not care who puts on Rugby League competitions or tournaments in North America, any Rugby League being played in the US is good for the game. But, spending $18,500 to host a 10 team amatuer 9's tournament in Philadelphia is absolutely ludicrous!

I would like to thank Fighter for replying to my post. I really do hope the tournament is a huge success and you can recover the funds you have put out there.

Thanks for the support South, we appreciate it! We also hope to come in well under that number projected. If we get good attendance with the advertising we will be doing, it could allow us to put more money into our Youth Program and also host the National Championship match (if we win the bid). Nothing ever goes in pocket because there is always something else to pay with making things work here.

Fighter

Juniors
Shuttle service to and from field to hotel for players (day) - $1500
Field Rental $2000
Police on site for day (required) $1500
Referees - $1000
Insurance for event $350
Print/ Tv Advertising - $3500 (hoping to advertise at USA7s) which would make this considerably more
HD Video and Editing of event - $1000

A lot of these are "profit"costs. The real costs are ground and insurance $2350 , the rest are mainly expenses that you will recover and hopefully for your sake make money. Good work with the tournament but if you want to be transparent you have to show dollars in and dollars out.

The Australian Aboriginals , is that an Australian team or simply a team of aboriginals if so which team, we have some exciting teams that play regularly in carnivals.

Well gallop they are all costs no matter what that we have to come up with to put the tourney on, if no one shows up then we are in bad shape. With advertising we will be doing we certainly hope that isn't an issue.

The Aboriginals are a group of aboriginals from all over the area they come from, with a few big names thrown in. In the past week we have also been contacted by another team of mostly aboriginal players that want to enter a side, so it could be a huge thing for us. It certainly will raise the quality of play and make it a great competition which is the whole point anyway to expose our boys in the USA to the best players we can so they know how hard they have to work to get to the same level.

Fighter

Juniors
$1500 for a shuttle? Wow, that seems steep.
Insurance for event $350
Those would probably yield a profit in the end, but would it be enough to cover other costs? Small fee is definitely a must, there is a fee for every tournament I've been too. There is also a big risk in any amature team fronting that kind of money.

Is there a fee for War at the Shore?

Out of curiosity, did teams like West Chester University, Utah and Orange County Outlaws pay anything the first year(if there was even a fee)? I hope that one day soon this tournament will be very profitable for the Fight.

Also $350 is an awful lot to pay to play for the Fight, do the Aussies pay that as well? Do you have any trouble with college students paying that? (not taking a jab, just trying to get an idea of the best ways to draw local college talent as well as import talent, and you guys have been successful doing both)

Man all that money and hard work, and the Sharks would still beat the Fight by 12+. (OK now I'm taking a Jab)lol

I don't believe there is a fee for War at the Shore that I remember, but they only get 150 people to come and watch, so not the same thing. WCU did pay the fee a few years back, and the other teams did as well.

Each player does pay $350, but full time students in college pay $100. Those dues were set by the players that are on the board by the way, we asked for their input and that is what they chose. It is all about getting the guys to make an effort to go find a sponsor for $350. If they don't then it is out of pocket and too bad for them.

We stopped charging the Aussies to come after the first year because they already have to pay so much to get here. The players voted that was okay by them.

As far as the 12+, good luck with that Fatwing, enter the tournament and you will get you chance! If not, keep dreaming!

deluded pom?

Coach
Nothing ever goes in pocket because there is always something else to pay with making things work here.

It doesn't matter where in the world you are Ryan, no-one ever make a profit from running an amateur rugby league team. There's always another bill just around the corner.

Fighter

Juniors
It doesn't matter where in the world you are Ryan, no-one ever make a profit from running an amateur rugby league team. There's always another bill just around the corner.

That is something I know all too well mate! Usually breaking even is the greatest result, but just making the event come off keeps pushing us a little bit closer to where we want to be.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Put me in my place? Are you all there Bronco Rob?
I have been off the forum for quite a few days which is why I have not replied. And, I am not going to reply in full as obviously you will turn it into "my agenda".
I do not care who puts on Rugby League competitions or tournaments in North America, any Rugby League being played in the US is good for the game. But, spending $18,500 to host a 10 team amatuer 9's tournament in Philadelphia is absolutely ludicrous!

I would like to thank Fighter for replying to my post. I really do hope the tournament is a huge success and you can recover the funds you have put out there.

South, what do expect people to think when one hand you're saying you think it's neither right nor wrong about the upfront fee then you're saying it's a disgrace and the USARL are rorting the teams participating moments later and questioning the legitimicay of where the money is spent?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Could one of you good fellows from the US post some vids after the tourny?

Would love to be there sinking a few cold ones. (have to settle for Parra v Tigers trial next month, going mad here).

Fighter

Juniors
Could one of you good fellows from the US post some vids after the tourny?

Would love to be there sinking a few cold ones. (have to settle for Parra v Tigers trial next month, going mad here).

Parra, we are working with a few different sources to do a live stream, but with the stadiums capabilities it doesnt seem like it will work unless we get a video truck. We can't afford that. We will likely tape all the games in HD, put a highlight package together and then have all the games loaded onto the Fight You Tube page.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Parra, we are working with a few different sources to do a live stream, but with the stadiums capabilities it doesnt seem like it will work unless we get a video truck. We can't afford that. We will likely tape all the games in HD, put a highlight package together and then have all the games loaded onto the Fight You Tube page.

Cheers mate sounds good.

Look forward to the games.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Anyone follow D Niu on twitter?
Last week he was at Arena Football try outs and this week he is in China with the guys trying to get Arena Football started in China.
Plenty of happy snaps and lots of communication with the other Arena Football guys.
Even Andrew Kneisley (USA Prop) was at try outs.

Credit to Niu he always wears his AMNRL gear, but one must wonder whether he is jumping on the Arena Football bandwagon?
Not much happening with AMNRL promotion.

Craigo

Juniors
Last week he was at Arena Football try outs and this week he is in China with the guys trying to get Arena Football started in China.
Plenty of happy snaps and lots of communication with the other Arena Football guys.

Credit to Niu he always wears his AMNRL gear, but one must wonder whether he is jumping on the Arena Football bandwagon?

Maybe an Arena Football game as a warm-up to a Union game as a warm-up to one of his Rugby League games......:roll:

Last edited:

100%green

Juniors

I follow him and have tweeted him a couple of times with no response. The other day he responded to someone by saying there was only one national body season 16 coming up.

I asked if there was any work on unifying so USA was stronger at the RLWC. No response