What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unbelieveable.... Toowoomba RL on radio !!!!

mud n blood

Juniors
I couldn't believe it !!! Driving back from out West yesterday I got sick of the Broncos-Parra call on ABC radio. Thought I'd see if any thing else was on the 'wireless' ....

Just before reaching 4TAB (1000 am) I heard what appeared to be an "old-style" rugby league commentary involving players I hadn't heard of. Initially I thought it was a recording of a 60's or 70's match, but the then I heard it was the Wattles v Valleys game at Herb Steinohrt Oval !!!

Fan-bloody-tastic !!!! I picked up the commentators were "Bill and Des" - obviously not young, either - and Bill the main caller sounded deadset like Ross Lawson ..... the 35+ people here will remember his colourful calls !!!

It was awesome ! And plainly obvious 'Bill' had been calling for donkeys years, with the terms and descriptions he was using.

P!ssed off though .... reception was lost around the back of Capalaba after listening to the game's entirety with Valleys leading 14-10 after trailing 10-blot, well on the attack, Josh Denny and Weatherall having blinders, and about 15 to go ! :x Sounded like a solid crowd there, too.

They also had regular score updates from the other 3 games, all lower grade scores at halftime, a full wrap of the Saturday night game at the break, and regular crosses to the Toowoomba cricket grand final also in progress.

It was heaven .... 8)

I plan on looking more into this during the week .... I'll find out what I can.

DIEHARD

----
Sounds like how it bloody should be in Queensland. Give us the details when you dig them up, Im eager to check it out. :eek:

crocodileman

Juniors
Don't be fooled - this wasn't a live league broadcast - my God, people from out the back of Toowoomba have just learnt how to communicate non-verbally by grunting! The only airwaves that are used out that way are the CB radios by truckies as they try to organise more speed to keep them awake!!

I've got 3 pieces of advice for you mate:-

1. Don't go anywhere west of Oxley -people out past there start growing second heads.

2. Don't listen to Broncos matches - those buggers were responsible for the death of Brisbane Rugby League - if Hitler was alive he'd open a large gas chamber at Suncorp Stadium with a feeder tube to Broncos Leagues Club - exterminate them all and we can save the world.

3. Just stick to your old rubbish dump at Purtell Park, Bardon. Wests supporters should all be banished to telling myths and tall tales about their team, such as they used to pack out Lang Park each week for Wests club matches. The truth is that it was all done with mirrors placed around the stands - people were looking at themselves and thought that there were people everywhere around the ground.

See ya at Wests next home game at Toowong cemetry in 2050!!

Crocodileman

XXXX Cap

Juniors
This croc man must have a very limited sphere of movement - hates the Bishop and Purtell Park regions, doesn't go west of Oxley ...

Hope he's not from down my way. Probably a peninsularite. :?

fizman

Bench
A mate of mine used to play for the Pittsworth Danes. I spent the weekend up there visiting and watched him play. It is a great experience and something I will never forget. At the time Pat O'Shea was the caller, but what really gave me a good laugh was that when it gets REALLY cold up on the range, ALL of the supporters sit in their cars, parked around the ground and toot their horns when a try is scored!!!!!

oxenham

Juniors
Well CM has just nuked Bashup and turned Lang Park into a Concentration Camp.....interesting.

The Partisan

Mud, you were lucky enough to stumble into a memory of my youth !!! I would say you were listening to either 4WK 963 OR 4GR 864 that have at different times broadcast the local league via the tulcet tones of Pat O'Shea and former international winger Des McGovern. Not too sure who this Bill character is.

Was a great Sunday arvo to listen to the local league hearing names that you recognised from your own town and personally knew through friends (such as big brothers, fathers etc) or your association with a particular club. The around the grounds segment was good for updating the program you had bought on your way into the ground or for updating at the end of the day as Dad made savoury mince jaffles to shield us from the late evening chill that the windy city is famous for. Mmmm mince and sauce rrrrrrrr !!!!

For a while, local league was televised (yes, televised ) on the local channel. The game was the one being played at the Athletic Oval and for youngsters like myself the objective was to get ya mug on TV by running around madly behind the commentators during to-camera pieces.

I wonder if any other local leagues do / have as much media coverage ?

The Partisan

One great memory, is a Brothers v Toowoomba State League game of the early 80's when a thick pea-souplike fog descended on the AO. The comemtators sitting less then 15m from the touchline could not see a thing - and called it as such !!!

crocodileman

Juniors
Knowing what they get up to over the range, Brothers were probably the only ones on the field that night - the Toowoomba players would have been in the Brothers dressing room stealing their wallets!!!

Latest posts