uncompetitive australia

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by B-dos, Nov 8, 2017.

1. B-dos

B-dos Referee

Unilever, the parent company of streets icecream is locked in a dispute with the union representing its workers over the current EBA

the australian icecream factory is the most expensive in the world for unilever to run. it is far cheaper for the company to make the icecreams in europe and ship them here

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/20...ay-and-ice-cream-fans-are-furious_a_23187395/

thanks to a highly rigid IR system the unions are now complaining that companies hamstrung by strict rules, actually play within them:

.Unilever says the claims of 50% pay cuts are rubbish and outlines how absolutely ridiculous some of the strict conditions of the EBA actually are:

https://www.unilever.com.au/news/pr...ctively-to-secure-Streets-factory-future.html

it is just disgraceful that businesses in australia are so uncompetitive. and if Unilever make the smart decision and just leave australia, im sure they will be criticised by many people

if large and profitable businesses like streets and unilever with high profile brands can find it so hard to do business here, imagine how hard it is for smaller businesses who face the same restrictions.

2. Mong

Mong Immortal

Yet, they manage and many manage to make profits as well..

RL The greatest game likes this.
  3. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

By outsourcing

You know all those jobs that disappear offshore.

Its not a money thing it's restrictive practices like who can work where, the old demarcation line.

4. Mong

Mong Immortal

Only those that offshore make profits?

5. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

I've asked you this for years Dos

What nation do you think has IR laws right ?

6. B-dos

B-dos Referee

ive given you the same answer for years butch

for years ive asked you specific questions in relation to these threads and you generally run away.. same again?

7. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

What answer do you give ?

I want to know what country has IR laws right too

8. B-dos

B-dos Referee

ive said many times on not an expert in other countries IR laws

9. The Charlatan

The Charlatan First Grade

What do you think needs to happen with our IR laws then Dossy?

10. B-dos

B-dos Referee

we need to provide far more flexibility so that companies can adapt and compete

big companies with global competitors need to complete internationally

small local businesses need flexibility in workplace laws to drive activity and investment

do you think rules like those cited by unilever above, and the fact they cant use their resources effectively, is a good outcome for business in australia?

Jimbo and Smack like this.
  11. Danish

Danish Referee

If someone can tell me what is wrong with Unilever wishing to pay their staff the award rate for their industry I’m all ears

Jimbo and Smack like this.
  12. The Charlatan

Nothing is wrong with that.

Dos seems to think there are problems, I want to hear his solutions. Not some overarching statement about flexibility for employers.

As for the conditions in the EBA, the last one in particular boggles the mind.

The workers will find out the hard way when the production gets moved offshore.

I saw something similar with a major supplier in my industry recently. The workers went on strike for months before resolution was achieved, the business has suffered in a major way and still has not recovered it's original production numbers. As a result to the higher labour cost and lost sales due to virtually no production during that period, they have just announced that they will be moving production off shore and these chaps will find themselves without jobs in several months time. The workers cut their noses off to spite their face.

13. B-dos

B-dos Referee

i dont think there is any problem with unilever scrapping the EBA

the unions clearly think theres a problem as they want people to boycott buying streets icecreams

i would like to see a return to workchoices, or as close as we can get to it as possible

indeed

would you also say australia is cutting its nose off to spite its face?

14. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

Smart union,boycott company product, reduce sales, require less staff.

15. The Charlatan

I haven't read the whole EBA so I cannot comment. I do think two of those three conditions you listed in your OP are unreasonable as they create unnecessary labour costs.

That's the issue in the modern world and the IT age, it is easy to sow seeds of doubt and call for boycotts and then the party accused has to go to great expense to refute or explain claims. Negative news travels quicker than positive.

I am not saying anything so broad in regard to Australia as a whole as I judge each situation on it's merits.

16. The Charlatan

Pretty much. Cue the whinge article when they lay off 25% of the workforce to downsize or 100% when they move offshore.

Smack likes this.
  17. Danish

Danish Referee

Well the so-called "50% pay cut" is actually just Unilever wanting to return the workers to the award rate.

Arguments about all the other terms of the EBA, aussie IR laws vs OS, etc are meaningless if we can all agree that Unilever are perfectly fair to offer their employees award rates

18. B-dos

B-dos Referee

seems to me the examples are exactly alike

if you use the phrase for the example you gave, why isnt a country that inhibits the ability of local companies to compete international, and that makes it harder for local businesses to do business and employ people, thus negatively impacting the economy, also cutting of its nose etc etc?

19. The Charlatan

I made no comment in regard to the pay cut?

20. The Charlatan

Two examples hardly constitutes a universal trend.