uncompetitive australia

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by B-dos, Nov 8, 2017.

1. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

Neither do you

You piss and moan about IR in this country yet can't name a single nation that does it better

You won't say workers should accept less cash for doing the job they already do so yet that's what you mean by uncompetitive

2. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

You made the statement

Time to back it up

3. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

I'd say that those are also examples of static factors.

So I guess that it's a question of how you address this environment. Australia has solid infrastructure and relative peace, and an opportunity for high levels of education for the populace. As our competitive advantage of stability is eroded and cost factors such as geographic distance remain, I think it's unlikely that Australia will maintain any sort of mass production export industry. If we are good enough, we will be able to take advantage of education opportunities and transition to an economy based on research and innovation, where what we produce is intellectual property and advancement. Time will tell I guess.

4. Smack

Smack Bench

5. sportive cupid

sportive cupid Referee

Yes B ..align yourself with this little man...that will end well every time.

6. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

You make some good points here, I do believe though we still hold advantage in many of these areas, key question for mine is can we continue to manage to successfully leverage these, or do we simply give up and race to the bottom.

7. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Mr Spock! likes this.
  8. Smack

Smack Bench

Yeah nah

9. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Yeah yeah

Lolz

10. Smack

Smack Bench

Yeah woah duude

[​IMG]

butchmcdick likes this.
  11. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

There does come a time when your costs are too high to sustain manufacturing

In Australia there was a comparative advantage in power prices that doesn't exist anymore and from what I have read they had process workers at this plant pulling more than 100k

It seems to me something has gotta give

12. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Process workers top out just over 80k, shift leaders top out at just over 100k.

That's doing 12 hour split shifts, it's not bad money, but allow for penalty rates, shift loadings etc. It's not a golden ticket either.

13. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

They could be creating their own downfall

14. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

No doubt, though I still don't see it so one sided. In the end the company will decide what they think is best for the company.

From all reports it would appear the company is profitable, so I don't see that a decision to move offshore in order to make it more profitable should be laid solely at the feet of the people upon who's labour they profit.

15. B-dos

B-dos Referee

indeed

and a very possible (perhaps likely ) outcome is no more jobs for australian factory workers for unilever

come on mate. you are in business. just being 'profitable' is meaningless. they could be making $1 or $10m and both are profitable

its about the return. if they can generate greater returns elsewhere, they need a pretty bloody compelling reason to stay in australia.

if wages and silly conditions are the straw that broke the camels back, then it really is up to the other side of the negotiation table (unions and workers) to determine whether they want jobs with unilever, or they decide they can get a better job elsewhere. who elses decision is it?

16. Smack

Smack Bench

Overall they are profitable, we don't know specifics about Australia so we can't assume.

17. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

How low should the unions and workers go ?

Once again if you expect workers to compete on wages with overseas unregulated markets I think you are dreaming

How much profit does the business currently make in Australia ?

18. B-dos

B-dos Referee

if i were a worker id be aiming to get as much as i can to ensure i still have a job. or if i could get more elsewhere, id leave

see above

their other option is to be unemployed or try to find work in another industry that doesnt compete with foreign labour markets

no idea

19. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

So pretty much take it or leave it merkins ?

20. bazza

bazza Coach

unilever being a large multinational probably isn't too interested in building long term capacity and profitablility
    They most likely compete each division off against each other and some accountant type in London or Amsterdam signs off some funding to close down a division based on the past 3 month earnings