What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underbelly: The Golden Mile

gronkathon

First Grade
Giving that cowardly scumbag Kanaan any credence whatsoever is disgusting.

I played footy with Mick Hurle and he was a great bloke who didn't deserve what he got.

Although the revenge that was taken against the scumbag by prisoners was absolutley awesome and he cried for hours

Jono078

Referee
Was one of the sh*ttest finale's I've seen.

Although I guess I don't know what I was really expecting..

Bulldog Force

Referee
Giving that cowardly scumbag Kanaan any credence whatsoever is disgusting.

I played footy with Mick Hurle and he was a great bloke who didn't deserve what he got.

Although the revenge that was taken against the scumbag by prisoners was absolutley awesome and he cried for hours
No one deserved to die. From what I understand though, DK's boys were egging them on when they were fighting, however the other guys walked up to them while they were sitting in the car and literally threw the first punch and yelled out a racist chant while they were there.

Can you please elaborate on what you're saying happened to Kanaan? I thought he was in Supermax meaning he's in a cell alone?

Bulldog Force

Referee
How about the Police Commissioner crap? Peter Ryan was Police Commission of NSW from 1996-2002 - yet last night episode ended somewhere in 1999, and Dennis Kelly was going for Police Commissioner then? Pffft! That's when they ended it saying that they got the Commissioner from the UK (Ryan) - when he was selected in 1996.

gronkathon

First Grade
No one deserved to die. From what I understand though, DK's boys were egging them on when they were fighting, however the other guys walked up to them while they were sitting in the car and literally threw the first punch and yelled out a racist chant while they were there.

Can you please elaborate on what you're saying happened to Kanaan? I thought he was in Supermax meaning he's in a cell alone?

They were having a fight amongst themselves.

The scumbags were yelling out jibes and insults. The guy who came out to break it up used a slur while telling them to f**k off. They got out of the car and attatcked from behind and when Kanaan got hit once he went straight for the gun.

As for his jailhouse punishment. This happened to him during pre-trial and assessment. He initially went to Golburn prison but not SuperMax until later. He got what he deserved. Unfortunatley the tax payer had to pay for his medical care and dental work after it

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
They touched on some interesting times in the last two series without actually getting to the best part, the panic in police force created by the royal commissions.

There was a Royal Commission which started near the very end of the second series (headed by Sir Laurence Street which was initially set up to investigate embezzlement by NSWRL and ARL Chairman Kevin Humphreys, after it was found he got the assistance of NSW Premier Neville Wran to help him out at an earlier court hearing. Wran contacted the chief Magistrate Murray Farqhar to help out Humphries, which he did. The 4 corners investigation by Chris Masters exposed what had happened)

This enquiry found politicians and police officers involved in far more sinister dealings and went on for quite a while. Humprhries actual hearing was swiftly dealt with, he was punished and then swept aside so they could focus on the more serious stuff about corrupt cops - Roger Rogerson beoing the key target.

By the time this Royal Commission ended, it was only a few years after that the new series of Underbelly begins.

The actions of the Street Royal Commission created a huge cultural divide within the NSW Police, the clean skins and the others who decided to tap into some more indepth and sneakier corruption antics. Since Rogerson was jailed, the whole drug trade in Sydney was made a lot more well known to NSW Police.

That is what created the attitudes seen in Underbelly 3.

There's also the story about Rogerson and Michael Drury which was quite prominent and completely overlooked.

Not to mention Warren lafranchi and Sallie-Anne Huckstepp, as well as the disappearance of model Revelle Balmain. These incidents were far greater than most of the snot in Underbelly 3.

gronkathon

First Grade
I think the Underbelly franchise made the right move in steering clear of anything that Blue Murder touched because they were going to come up glaringly short.

I do agree that the Street RC is definatley the more interesting of the two

Bulldog Force

Referee
It's unbelievable to think how such little time can make such a big difference. 30 seconds in this instance. If the light on Great North Road was green as the car arrived, they wouldn't have stopped and gotten involved in the brawl, those 2 guys would still be alive, and Michael Kanaan would have only been charged with 1 murder, not 3. If that was the case, he probably would've been back on the streets by 2020!

As for the acting, while Ryan Corr did a good job, I think he would've done a better job playing the role of Tony Rashid/Alan Rossini, whereas Bren Foster would've been better suited to the role of Michael Kanaan.

Overall it wasn't too bad a series, kinda similiar to the second one, started out painfully slow, but towards the end it really started to get interesting.

On a side note, does anyone else think that Adam Andrews (Doc's friend who talked and got off his charges) looks like Chris Lawrence?

Bulldog Force

Referee
The squealer? I think he looks more like Gyton Grantly, who, ironically, played Carl Williams in the original Underbelly series!

Hugo%20Johnstone-Burt.jpg
Gyton-5455417.jpg

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bulldog Force has been known to be a complete and utter f**kwit with about as much idea as a wet stick.

Those two blokes looking absolutely NOTHING alike.

he's a deadset spitting image of Lawrence

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the Underbelly franchise made the right move in steering clear of anything that Blue Murder touched because they were going to come up glaringly short.

I do agree that the Street RC is definatley the more interesting of the two
I agree, to an extent. Blue Murder focussed most notably on Rogerson and his run-in with Drury.

It didn't show the other crims in the drug trade behind the scenes.

I think Carl Williams's old man as well as Mark Moran's father were involved in the drug trade in Sydney at the same time that Rogerson was at his peak.

[furrycat]

Coach
It's unbelievable to think how such little time can make such a big difference. 30 seconds in this instance. If the light on Great North Road was green as the car arrived, they wouldn't have stopped and gotten involved in the brawl, those 2 guys would still be alive, and Michael Kanaan would have only been charged with 1 murder, not 3. If that was the case, he probably would've been back on the streets by 2020!

As for the acting, while Ryan Corr did a good job, I think he would've done a better job playing the role of Tony Rashid/Alan Rossini, whereas Bren Foster would've been better suited to the role of Michael Kanaan.

Mate you'll find it didn't quite happen like that in real life... it is just how the show portrayed it.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
I enjoyed the series, knowing what went on in the Cross.
I knew a character from this series...was a good bloke but did the wrong thing.

[furrycat]

Coach
Close - it was the red ruby's used for eyes and a diamond in the mouth.

And you're right - having the Royal Commission and DK's boys in the series sort of made it look like having 2 different stories in series. If I'm correct, Kim Hollingsworth and John Ibrahim only briefly crossed paths once or twice in this series and barely said a word to each other.

The Tunnel shooting scene was done really well. I also think the White City shootout in last nights episode was good. However the seige at the end of the series wasn't done well - Kanaan's seige actually lasted 32 hours in real life before he surrendered peacefully to Police. The finale last night showed them all surrendering after a few minutes it seems!

Liked most of the series I must admit, but there were definitely parts that were dramatised just to get ratings.

The show has never been advertised as truth; it is "based on events from 19xx to 19xx"... same in the other series.

Garts

Bench
Commissioner Ryan started his reign in 1996, well before the show implied. Had a fair bit of other crap in it from what I am told. Still entertaining though.

Latest posts