What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Understanding the 2021 World Cup Qualifiers

adamkungl

Immortal
Wikipedia claims there are 100,000 people of Serbian ancestry in Australia.

Does anyone know of any Serbian players in NSW Cup, QLD Cup, Championship or other semi-pro divisions?

Or Spanish, Russian, Maltese, Greek, etc

Perhaps a topic for another thread

langpark

First Grade
If I recall, none of the Aus professional players went over
Correct, highest profile one was the NRL rookie David Andjelic, who's obviously nowhere near the level of the NRL players.

Up until just a couple of years ago, Serbia never really had contact with Australia. But they changed some of their policies and made a strong effort a few years ago, starting with that match against Philippines in Sydney. Since then they've built ties with the Serbian-Australian community and gained a lot of fans, sponsors and (lower grade) players.

Problem is, if Serbia QUALIFIED for the World Cup, I have no doubt, Cotric, Opacic and anyone else who is not picked for Australia, would play for them. But the problem is, they need a few of these guys on board in order to qualify.

Force

Juniors
Don't see why Euro should be handed 7 spots when only one of their teams made the finals of the last World Cup and a couple barely scored any points. Once you get to that 7th team there is a huge drop in quality. A 2nd North American team would do no worse than a 7th European team, probably better.

Sensible way to do it would have been making two spots available in a playoff and having AP7, Euro 7, NA2 & MEA2 in a 3 round pool with top 2 teams qualifying.
I've been saying this for a while now. Its better off having a qualifying tournament with the top 2 teams qualifying.

siv

First Grade
Auto qualifying process needs to change

Again you look to soccer for how they deal with auto qualification

I think only the Top 4 and hosts should auto qualify

Everyone else needs to qualify

Top 4 Europe
Top 4 Asia-Pacific
Top Americas
Top EMEA

Last 2 spots provided by repocharge 6 nations of Next 3 Europe Next 2 Asia-Pac 2nd Americas

Springs09

Juniors
Auto qualifying process needs to change

Again you look to soccer for how they deal with auto qualification

I think only the Top 4 and hosts should auto qualify

Everyone else needs to qualify

I agree. And not just because a team like Samoa didn't deserve to auto-qualify after winning zero games, but qualifiers guarantee teams regular competitive games between World Cups. NZ would have to qualify against the likes of Samoa, PNG and Cook Islands this time around, which would be great for all nations. Tonga and Fiji could then also replace NZ in that year's top-flight international tournament/tour/series.

Reactions: siv

langpark

First Grade
^ Agreed, more nations should be forced to qualify, if not all.

I also don't like how for the next WC, the qualifying process will be over TWO YEARS before the WC starts!! A team can change dramatically over two years, I cannot understand what the motive was behind that? Change for the sake of change perhaps?

adamkungl

Immortal

I also don't like how for the next WC, the qualifying process will be over TWO YEARS before the WC starts!! A team can change dramatically over two years, I cannot understand what the motive was behind that? Change for the sake of change perhaps?

Look at it from another point of view - by qualifying early they get a whole 21 months to prepare.
A WC qualified team will (should) be able to get games against higher quality teams in year 3, and ensure its best players are committed by dangling the WC carrot for longer.
They have an extra year to get sponsors on board and to raise money for a professional campaign.

langpark

First Grade
Fair point. I'd just like to see THE best, and current top 16 nations competing though, or as close to that as possible. Look at Danny Brough for example, who went from Man of Steel contender to absolute has-been within two years, and was basically carrying Scotland. Or the Qld team for example, and how much it's changed now in just 2 years.

adamkungl

Immortal
I was in the '8 teams shouldn't qualify' camp but in the end I guess it's much of a muchness.

The idea that it ensures we have more games in between cups shouldn't be a thing - pre-qualified nations should be playing big games anyway.
The RLIF mid-cycle cup that hasn't eventuated again should feature the 8 pre-qualified teams, with the other nations being involved in qualifiers at the same time.

Also, awkward situations like Samoa qualifying after such a poor showing should be far less likely with 16 teams.

Springs09

Juniors
It should be over all three years which I think is how it is now.
1st year - first round of qualifying for smaller teams, like the Euro Championships B & C we are seeing now.
2nd year - Major qualifying tournaments for all teams. Majority of teams qualify
3rd year - Qualifying tournament to decide the last 1-2 spots involving runner-up of the previous year's tournaments.

This way years 1 & 3 are open for the majority of teams to play in other tournaments.

adamkungl

Immortal
It should be over all three years which I think is how it is now.
1st year - first round of qualifying for smaller teams, like the Euro Championships B & C we are seeing now.
2nd year - Major qualifying tournaments for all teams. Majority of teams qualify
3rd year - Qualifying tournament to decide the last 1-2 spots involving runner-up of the previous year's tournaments.

This way years 1 & 3 are open for the majority of teams to play in other tournaments.

Since Euros are the only ones with multiple stages, I'm guessing..

2019 Mid-year we'll see the Americas Cup, and perhaps an Asia-Pacific playoff or tri-series. Also an African Cup if anyone can field a team, but at this stage it seems more than likely that South Africa will go straight through to the playoff.

The October-November period will see the Euro qualifying finals and the inter-continental tri-series for the final spot.

I don't see a problem with 2 years.
Year 1 you can easily fit your C & B levels.
Year 2 have your A levels in late October and your final playoffs in December.

siv

First Grade

Process needs to take 3 international windows

One is the preliminary qualifying, then main qualifiers and you need a repocharge window

adamkungl

Immortal
Word is that Chile will be entering the qualifiers against USA, Canada and Jamaica late THIS year.

Seems very early to me. With the final playoffs locked in for late 2019, I still thought they'd be able to hold off the American round until mid-2019.
But maybe by holding them in November this year they'll attract more notice? Idunno

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Haven’t been keeping track so am a bit behind but what happened to the minimum qualifying criteria they were talking about. I thought Scotland and a few others don’t meet the minimum qualifying standards

adamkungl

Immortal
Malta will be entering the C level campaign with a squad chosen mostly from home.

Comments say that Group C has a limit of 4 heritage players, can anyone confirm?