What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Understanding the 2021 World Cup Qualifiers

Force

Juniors
So we now know the qualifiers will be completed in 2019 giving all teams an almost 2 year run-up to prepare for the WC.
If I understand correctly, nations must be Affiliate Members to enter WC Qualification process?
Which gives us the following challengers for qualification:

Americas
Canada
Jamaica
USA
(Unlikely for any more to meet Affiliate standards by 2018-19)

Asia-Pacific
Australia
New Zealand
Samoa
Fiji
PNG
Tonga
Cook Islands
(Philippines, Thailand, Vanuatu could possible reach Affiliate status in time)

Europe
Spain
Czech Republic
France
Italy
Latvia
Malta
England
Ireland
Norway
Russia
Scotland
Serbia
Ukraine
Wales
(with maybe Poland, Hungary possibly reaching Affiliate status in time)

Middle East and Africa
Lebanon
South Africa
(Unlikely for any more to meet Affiliate standards by 2018-19)

So the qualification picture *should* look something this:

Americas
Americas Cup mid-2019
up to 2 places available, 3rd may enter possible playoff

Asia-Pacific

Asia-Pacific Cup B series/playoff 2018. Two or more of Cook Islands, Philippines, Thailand, Vanuatu might play off to qualify for the Pacific A qualifying series next year.
Asia-Pacific Cup A series/playoff mid-2019. Nations that fail to auto qualify vs Cup B winners for the final WC spots.
up to 4 places available (after auto-qualifying), 6th or 7th may enter possible playoff

Europe

European Qualifiers C South series early 2018. Czech Republic, Ukraine, Hungary play off for chance to enter B level cup.
European Qualifiers C North series early 2018. Latvia, Norway, Poland play off for chance to enter B level cup.
European Qualifiers B series late 2018. Spain, Russia, Serbia play off with C level winners for chance to enter A level qualification series.
European Qualifiers A series late 2019. 17WC Nations that fail to auto qualify play off vs B level winners for final WC spots.
Up to 7 spots available.

MEA
*MEA Cup playoff 2018. South Africa v Lebanon. Winner enters WC or playoff.
*Occurs if Lebanon fail to auto qualify. Otherwise SA wins by default.

Playoff
**Playoff series late 2019. MEA winner v Pacific 6/7th (v American 2/3rd)
**Occurs if all Pacific nations auto qualify or if Lebanon auto qualify
Asia need to move to Middle East/Africa. They only have two Nations in their region or add some of those teams from Europe like Latvia or even Russia. Having only two Nations in a confederation is poor.

adamkungl

Immortal
Asia need to move to Middle East/Africa. They only have two Nations in their region or add some of those teams from Europe like Latvia or even Russia. Having only two Nations in a confederation is poor.

Agree

Short term 4 federations,
Pacfic/Oceania
Europe
Asia-Africa
Americas

Long term split into 6 continents if/when its actually meaningful to do so

bowes

Juniors
To me our arse is back to front where the International Game lags behind a game between two States and a domestic comp (NRL/SL). I want the International Game to be at the forefront but you wont get that when people treat the World Cup as a development tournament. A World Cup must be treated as the pinnacle, this is part of the reason why the Union counter-part is so successful because the International game is at the top.If you want development in a World tournament use the Emerging Nations instead.

What I would like to see is 6 teams for both Europe and Pacific (move Asia in with the Middle East, they and the ME region would do much better that way cos the Pacific teams are too good to get past). Also, 1 from the America's. So thats 13 automatic qualifying spots, the other 3 I would like for them to be up for grabs at an Emerging Nations tournament where all the other teams who missed out on the proper World Cup qualifications attend and strive to win it, come second or third. I think this is fair and less confusing then how they have things cos every Nation is given a fair chance and the best 3 will go through.

Edit to add: Enforce the domestic player rule (or at least limit the number of Pro players per team) at the Emerging Nations tournament so heritage teams dont flog the others.This will even the tournament out even more and reward those who have put in the effort to develop the game at home.
I'd probably add one spot for Middle East/Africa as an automatic qualifier and then have the following 6 teams playing off for 2 spots in an Emerging Nations tournament:

Americas 2
Americas 3
Asia-Pacific 7
Europe 7
Europe 8
Middle East/Africa 2

It would almost certainly be Asia-Pacific 7 and one of the Americas sides that qualify but would at least gives teams the chance to break through

hutch

First Grade
There are so many people on here thinking of great ideas that nobody who works in rugby league would even begin to think about. Why is that all the passionate international fans who want what is best for the sport don't have the capacity to do so.

PaulyTom

Juniors
My 16 teams for W.C

Australia
Nz
Fiji
Samoa
Tonga
Png

England
France
Wales
Scotland
Ireland
One of - Italy / Czech / Spain / Russia or another European nation

Usa
Canada
Jamaica or South Africa

Lebanon or Cook Islands

adamkungl

Immortal
Nice article here from Latin Heat director and journo Rob Burgin. He's putting up a lot of good international stuff on the usually garbage Roar. Give it a comment or a like and show them there's an appetite for International Rugby League

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/11/01/will-contest-next-rugby-league-world-cup/

Hopefully the next qualifiers are given the attention and promotion they deserve, potential to be one of the biggest drivers of international Rugby League and it's fascinating to see who can crack the big time.

None of the suggestions in the article are completely impossible but some are definitely longer shots than others. Also missing some up and comers like Thailand, Spain, Hungary and Netherlands which have all put a lot of work into their domestic programs.

Some mentioned in the article like Malta and Philippines have strong teams which could definitely compete on a high level but have little to no domestic progress.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
So with the likely WC Quarter Finalists being:

Asia Pacific:
Australia
New Zealand
Tonga
Samoa
Fiji
PNG

Europe:
England

Middle-East / Africa:
Lebanon (confusing because they are an RLEF member)

Qualifying for Asia Pacific and Middle-East / Africa are now locked out. The only spots available are in Europe (France, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Italy and Serbia battling it out for five spots) and the Americas (USA, Jamaica and Canada battling it out for two spots).

Maybe next time there should be no auto-qualifiers from the previous world cup or make it semi-finalists only.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors

Asia Pacific:
Australia
New Zealand
Tonga
Samoa
Fiji
PNG

Europe:
England

Middle-East / Africa:

Qualifying for Asia Pacific and Middle-East / Africa are now locked out. The only spots available are in Europe (France, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Italy and Serbia battling it out for five spots) and the Americas (USA, Jamaica and Canada battling it out for two spots).

Maybe next time there should be no auto-qualifiers from the previous world cup or make it semi-finalists only.
Surely Middle East can't be locked out ?? How stupid ? These countries need something to play for ? Why couldn't they play off against the second American QF ?

Springs09

Juniors

Asia Pacific:
Australia
New Zealand
Tonga
Samoa
Fiji
PNG

Europe:
England

Middle-East / Africa:

You've only listed 7 spots. The last spot is reserved for the winner of the play-off tournament. From the original RLIF statement:
"Should 6 teams pre-qualify via the Quarter- Finals from Asia Pacific and Lebanon qualify via the Quarter Finals in 2017 that a play-off be held hosted by Middle East/Africa between the highest placed team in Middle/East Africa excluding Lebanon, the 3rd placed team in the Americas and the 7th placed team in Asia-Pacific."
http://rlif.com/article/8247/statement-from-the-rlif-board-meeting---march-th-

So likely South Africa v Jamaica v Cook Islands.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
You've only listed 7 spots. The last spot is reserved for the winner of the play-off tournament. From the original RLIF statement:
"Should 6 teams pre-qualify via the Quarter- Finals from Asia Pacific and Lebanon qualify via the Quarter Finals in 2017 that a play-off be held hosted by Middle East/Africa between the highest placed team in Middle/East Africa excluding Lebanon, the 3rd placed team in the Americas and the 7th placed team in Asia-Pacific."

Well that makes more sense , cheers.

bowes

Juniors

This isn't right either. Somewhat bizarrely Europe get 7 spots including England. I can only imagine that they meant to say the 2nd place team in the Americas enters the playoffs, as entering the 3rd place team would be quite arbitrary and also lead to 17 teams in the World Cup. Hopefully if Scotland get the boot then Europe will lose a spot then you have 2nd in Americas qualify automatically and Cook Islands play South Africa

adamkungl

Immortal
You can't be serious! Tell me their strongest team, Thailand?!?! There are tier 3 nations that would put a cricket score on them and you want them to get direct passage into the World Cup!?

We already have an Asian team with direct passage to the World Cup.. Lebanon just had to beat South Africa.

siv

First Grade
I beleive as a TV product Auto qualification should be only for Winners, runners up and hosts

While I am enjoying this RLWC - we should allow NZ to be a standalone host

Just like France should be a standalone host

parrawentyfan

Juniors
My 16 teams for W.C

Australia
Nz
Fiji
Samoa
Tonga
Png

England
France
Wales
Scotland
Ireland
One of - Italy / Czech / Spain / Russia or another European nation

Usa
Canada
Jamaica or South Africa

Lebanon or Cook Islands

Surely Serbia as one of the other European nations?

parrawentyfan

Juniors
I beleive as a TV product Auto qualification should be only for Winners, runners up and hosts

While I am enjoying this RLWC - we should allow NZ to be a standalone host

Just like France should be a standalone host

I think both teams could be great hosts. You could ask them to share the workload with neighbours (eg PNG and England) so they aren't overloaded with matches.

But they should be the main hosts. Would love to see:
NZ WC
- opener in Wellington. Final in Eden Park.

France WC
- opener in Toulouse. Final in Parc des Princes (big enough to look good and prestigious but small enough to try and fill)

Springs09

Juniors
This isn't right either. Somewhat bizarrely Europe get 7 spots including England. I can only imagine that they meant to say the 2nd place team in the Americas enters the playoffs, as entering the 3rd place team would be quite arbitrary and also lead to 17 teams in the World Cup. Hopefully if Scotland get the boot then Europe will lose a spot then you have 2nd in Americas qualify automatically and Cook Islands play South Africa

Yes, it is right.

The Europe - 7, Asia/Pacific - 6, Americas - 2 doesn't count if Lebanon and 6 Asia/Pacific teams qualify automatically.

Since they have stated that the play-off series will involve Middle-East/Africa 2, Americas 3 and Asia/Pacific 7 if Australia, NZ, PNG, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and Lebanon all auto-qualify then that means Europe's 7th spot has to go to Lebanon.

They'd stick to having 2 Americas teams auto-qualify I'd imagine as they host 2025.

Latest posts