What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Understanding the 2021 World Cup Qualifiers

Force

Juniors
So do teams who wish to qualify for the World Cup have to be Full members or would Affiliated members be sufficient?

siv

First Grade
So do teams who wish to qualify for the World Cup have to be Full members or would Affiliated members be sufficient?

Thats the confusing part

While we boast 70 RL nations we dont allow 70 RL nations to participate in the qualifying process

StadiumXIII

Juniors
Thats the confusing part

While we boast 70 RL nations we dont allow 70 RL nations to participate in the qualifying process
I believe the 70 nations are in the process of being formed.. as in contacts there but no regular RL activity.

Force

Juniors
So would a viable domestic comp be a requirement for Countries wishing to participate in the Qualifiers?

bowes

Juniors
So would a viable domestic comp be a requirement for Countries wishing to participate in the Qualifiers?
Yeah with a minimum of four teams in it. Scotland don't actually meet the Affiliate Membership criteria.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Imo only full members should be allowed to qualify. This stops country with little domestic activity qualifying on the strength of there heritage players. Obviously the RLIF would need to reavaluate who is a full member

Force

Juniors
It will be interesting how the RLIF treat the Scotland situation because it will have ramifications with many of the lower tier P.Is Nations as some of them are only Observer Nations like Niue, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands ....

bowes

Juniors
It will be interesting how the RLIF treat the Scotland situation because it will have ramifications with many of the lower tier P.Is Nations as some of them are only Observer Nations like Niue, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands ....
I know the Cook Islands meet the criteria for full membership. Wales only do if you include university sides. Ireland don't meet the criteria. I'm happy to have Affiliate members in the World Cup qualifying, but Scotland should be Observers

adamkungl

Immortal
Hopefully we start hearing more about this and the Emerging Nations Championship soon.

There's still some doubt in the air over how it will play out.

We have 8 auto qualifiers: 6 Asia-Pacific, 1 Europe, 1 Middle-East-Africa.

The RLIF said there would be 6 Asia-Pacific teams, 7 European teams, 2 American teams, 1 MEA team, and a playoff.
Which means along with the 8 we already have, we will have another 6 Euro, 2 American, and 1 playoff = 17 teams.

So either...
Europe drops one of their places.
American drops one of their places.
or there's no playoff and the MEA and Asia-Pacific regions are unable to enter qualifying.

My hope is that Europe and America drop 1 place each into a 2nd playoff.

Force

Juniors
They made things complicated by having too many different scenario's based on uncertain results. Just use the Emerging Nations tournament for the other qualifiers. So you've got the 8 auto-qualifiers, 5 qualifiers from Europe and 1 from America's, every other Nation play in the Emerging Nations for the remaining two spots. A lot easier to follow and you kill two birds with one stone ie, RLWC qualifying spots and meaningful games for the other Nations.

deal.with.it

Juniors
So i guess south africa v cook islands for the "play off." Or will third americas and 7th euro get thrown in for a 4 team comp.

2 of usa, canada, jamaica

The qf nations

6 of europe? Who is eligible?

adamkungl

Immortal
So i guess south africa v cook islands for the "play off." Or will third americas and 7th euro get thrown in for a 4 team comp.

2 of usa, canada, jamaica

The qf nations

6 of europe? Who is eligible?

Europe:
Scotland *(maybe)
France
Ireland
Wales
Italy
Serbia
Malta *(not sure about reaching domestic requirements)
Belgium (?)
Spain
Norway
Greece
Ukraine
Czech
Netherlands
Germany
Hungary

at least

deal.with.it

Juniors
If all of those euro countries join quals, then APRLC needs to include Solomons, Vanuatu, Thailand, Philippines.

India, Singapore, Malaysia, Tokelau, Niue wouldn't meet requirements for domestic activity.

For Europe, Malta died in the arse after Greece f**ked up last WC quals. Not sure about some of the others these days, namely Czech, Hungary and ... Scotland.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Bulgaria and Turkey have teams that play in the Balkans super league but it is probably unlikely they would meet qualifying criteria

langpark

First Grade
Europe:
Scotland *(maybe)
France
Ireland
Wales
Italy
Serbia
Malta *(not sure about reaching domestic requirements)
Belgium (?)
Spain
Norway
Greece
Ukraine
Czech
Netherlands
Germany
Hungary

at least
a (?) beside Hungary too, and you can also add Russia to the list.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
http://www.nrl.com/details-revealed-for-2021-world-cup/tabid/10874/newsid/116752/default.aspx

I think this might have been addressed earlier but in this article it say 7 euro, 6 pacific, 2 americas plus a qualifier from pacific/americas/middle east.. That makes 16 teams.. i get that.. but Lebonon are from the middle east and make the quarter finals (which i guess 2021 organisers didn't expect). This means that a middle east team has already qualified. So with Lebonon already qualified that makes it 17 teams. who loses a qualification spot? Euro, america or the extra play off spot?

morningstar

Juniors
Think the numbers are wrong above, I'm assuming as follows:-

6 Euro
6 Pacific
2 Americas
1 ME/Africa
1 Repechage qualifier 2nd ME/Africa, 7th place pacific & 3rd placed Americas

Already Qualified 8no

Australia, England, Fiji, Lebanon, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga

Euro Qualifiiers 5no
Most likely France, Italy, Ireland, Wales, Serbia (assuming Scotland get the arse)

Americas 2no
Most likely USA & Canada

Repechage 1no
Most likely Cook Islands vs Jamaica vs South Africa

Latest posts