What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Understanding the 2021 World Cup Qualifiers

adamkungl

Immortal
I expect the change of RLIF CEO has delayed them making an announcement.

I expect no one at the RLIF has worked out yet that they can't count to 16. I'm waiting to see how deep into the process they get before it clicks.

Either that or they can't work out how to schedule the Lions tour without f**king over Wales Ireland and Scotland's qualification

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
The town of Vrchlabi will host the preliminary stage of the European qualifying route to the 2021 Rugby League World Cup in England, when the Czech Republic host Norway on 16th June.

It will be the opening fixture in Euro C which will comprise six nations split north and south. Germany are the other nation in the north group; Greece, Malta and Ukraine in the south. The respective group winners will face an elimination game at a neutral venue for promotion to Euro B and a place in the next stage of World Cup qualification, which will take place in autumn 2019.

Euro B will be played in October 2018 between Russia, Spain and Serbia, with the top two advancing to the 2019 qualification tournament and the bottom nation relegated to Euro C.

RLIF Chief Executive Officer David Collier said: “Integrating competitions with the European World Cup qualifiers provides added meaning to the games, which is one of the international federation’s key objectives. “The increasing number of member nations vying for a World Cup berth is further evidence of the growth of the sport, while the launch of preliminary qualification comes a year earlier than for the 2017WC, which is another sign that significant tournaments are being strategically positioned in the RLIF calendar.”

Further details of the next stage of European qualifying will be announced shortly, Netherlands and Latvia opted not to enter the process.

European Championship B & C Fixtures

European Championship B: Spain v Russia (Valencia, 6 October); Russia v Serbia (Moscow, 13 October); Serbia v Spain (Belgrade, 20 October)

European Championship C - North: Czech Republic v Norway (Vrchlabi, 16 June); Germany v Czech Republic (Osnabrück, 25 August); Norway v Germany (Porsgrunn, 15 September)

European Championship C - South: Malta v Ukraine (Marsa, 30 June); Ukraine v Greece (Kharkov, 8 September); Greece v Malta (Athens, 15 September)

adamkungl

Immortal
OK.. so digesting that all.

The 'hopefuls' that are not participating:
Latvia
Sweden
Denmark
Belgium
Netherlands
Hungary

The structure:
2 groups of 3 in the C level. Winner of each group plays off for promotion to B level and progression to the next stage.

1 group of 3 in the B level. Top 2 progress to 2019 with the 3rd place team relegated to C level.

So we can guess the 2019 final Qualification tournament will look something like

Group A
France
Italy
Euro B winner
Euro C winner

Group B
Ireland
Wales
Scotland
Euro B 2nd place

The above 8 teams are playing for 6 spots.

The top 3 from each group will qualify for the World Cup. *

format is speculative at this stage, but seems to be the very likely outcome given the information so far.

Last edited:

Springs09

Juniors

Latvia
Sweden
Denmark
Belgium
Netherlands
Hungary

The structure:
2 groups of 3 in the C level. Winner of each group plays off for promotion to B level and progression to the next stage.

1 group of 3 in the B level. Top 2 progress to 2019 with the 3rd place team relegated to C level.

So we can guess the 2019 final Qualification tournament will look something like

Group A
France
Italy
Euro B winner
Euro C winner

Group B
Ireland
Wales
Scotland
Euro B 2nd place

The RLIF have stated there will be 7 European teams, and since the numbers don't really add up this *seems* to include Lebanon. If this is the case the above 8 teams are playing for 5 spots.

The top 2 from each group will qualify for the World Cup.
The 3rd place teams will playoff for the 5th and final place.

** If the RLIF is smart and fair, the playoff loser will be given the extra chance instead of the 3rd place American team. As it stands the chance of a 'new' European nation qualifying for the 16 are very low.

I'm not sure how reliable wiki is but on there it says there are 5 Euro spots, 2 Americas and one 'qualifier' up for grabs.

So Latvia and Netherlands decline to participate. Sweden and Denmark were likely eliminated by Norway last year and they both have shaky domestic scenes. Belgium and Hungary seem to be preparing for the Emerging Nations tournament.

Malta just told me on facebook that their domestic scene is 'sporadic'. Is the requirements that there has to be a club competition or just clubs?

adamkungl

Immortal
Malta just told me on facebook that their domestic scene is 'sporadic'. Is the requirements that there has to be a club competition or just clubs?

Who knows. I was under the impression that nations had to fulfill Affiliate Member requirements to participate in qualifiers. Maybe some nations are getting the Scotland sweep under the rug treatment

upload_2018-3-27_11-53-14.png

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm not sure how reliable wiki is but on there it says there are 5 Euro spots, 2 Americas and one 'qualifier' up for grabs.

This is correct.

Which to me is a big concern, because the qualifier (if it remains as previously announced) excludes Europe.
Unless this changes there is next to no chance of Serbia/Russia/Spain/etc qualifying.

Springs09

Juniors
Surely they will do a proper repechage qualifying tournament

Americas 3 v Pacific 1
Middle-East/Africa 1 v Europe 6

Winner v Winner

For example:
Jamaica v Cook Islands
South Africa v Serbia

adamkungl

Immortal
Surely they will do a proper repechage qualifying tournament

Americas 3 v Pacific 1
Middle-East/Africa 1 v Europe 6

Winner v Winner

For example:
Jamaica v Cook Islands
South Africa v Serbia

That's what i'm hoping for but the announcements so far have a 3 team repechage with Asia-Pacific, MEA, and Americas.

Springs09

Juniors
When it comes to Europe, when we look at the domestic comp requirement: (quite hard to find information on most domestic comps)
France - strong, obviously
Wales - 2 League 1 clubs + 6 premier league clubs.
Ireland - 13 clubs?
Scotland - 2 clubs - Edinburgh and Aberdeen?
Italy - 10 clubs or so?
Russia - 9 clubs?
Serbia - 24 clubs + 5 clubs in Balkan Super League
Ukraine - 8 clubs
Czech Republic - 4 clubs
Greece -3 clubs + 3 clubs in Balkan Super League
Latvia - 4 clubs
Malta - 'sporadic'
Norway - 7 clubs possibly more
Spain - 6 clubs
Belgium - 4 clubs
Denmark - 2 clubs?
Germany - Seem to have a new league - the Runkel League- with at least 3 clubs.
Hungary - 4+ clubs + women's league
Netherlands - 4 clubs
Sweden - 2 clubs
Romania - dead?
Bosnia & Herzegovina - 2 clubs in Balkan Super League
Austria - dead?
Estonia - dead?
Moldova - dead?
Portugal - dead?
Bulgaria - 1 club in Balkan Super League
Turkey - 5 clubs + 2 clubs in Balkan Super League
Albania - 1 club in Balkan Super League
Montenegro - 1 club in Balkan Super League

Wonder why Netherlands and Latvia declined? Seem to have more claim than Malta.

adamkungl

Immortal
An update from the RLIF, and good news for Europe (slightly less good news for America, but fair imo).

Europe will have 6 direct qualifiers (plus England already qualified).
America will have 1 direct qualifier, with 1 going to playoff.
The playoff will be for the final spot, between the 2nd American nation, the 7th Asia-Pacific, and the 2nd Middle-East-Africa.

This is in contrast to previous media which has stated that the Americas will receive 2 direct qualifiers plus a playoff.

langpark

First Grade

Latvia
Sweden
Denmark
Belgium
Netherlands
Hungary
I think from that list only Latvia and Netherlands were eligible as you need to be a minimum affiliate member. (how Latvia is still an affiliate is truly beyond me)

As for Malta, it looks like they needed them to make up the numbers this year, but once the qualifiers are over, they will be in real danger of losing their status, due to no domestic activity.

deluded pom?

Coach
When it comes to Europe, when we look at the domestic comp requirement: (quite hard to find information on most domestic comps)
France - strong, obviously
Wales - 2 League 1 clubs + 6 premier league clubs.
Ireland - 13 clubs?
Scotland - 2 clubs - Edinburgh and Aberdeen?
Italy - 10 clubs or so?
Russia - 9 clubs?
Serbia - 24 clubs + 5 clubs in Balkan Super League
Ukraine - 8 clubs
Czech Republic - 4 clubs
Greece -3 clubs + 3 clubs in Balkan Super League
Latvia - 4 clubs
Malta - 'sporadic'
Norway - 7 clubs possibly more
Spain - 6 clubs
Belgium - 4 clubs
Denmark - 2 clubs?
Germany - Seem to have a new league - the Runkel League- with at least 3 clubs.
Hungary - 4+ clubs + women's league
Netherlands - 4 clubs
Sweden - 2 clubs
Romania - dead?
Bosnia & Herzegovina - 2 clubs in Balkan Super League
Austria - dead?
Estonia - dead?
Moldova - dead?
Portugal - dead?
Bulgaria - 1 club in Balkan Super League
Turkey - 5 clubs + 2 clubs in Balkan Super League
Albania - 1 club in Balkan Super League
Montenegro - 1 club in Balkan Super League

Wonder why Netherlands and Latvia declined? Seem to have more claim than Malta.
Were Romania, Austria and Portugal ever alive?

jim_57

Staff member
An update from the RLIF, and good news for Europe (slightly less good news for America, but fair imo).

The playoff will be for the final spot, between the 2nd American nation, the 7th Asia-Pacific, and the 2nd Middle-East-Africa.

This is in contrast to previous media which has stated that the Americas will receive 2 direct qualifiers plus a playoff.

I think that has swung too far in the direction of favoring Europe, especially with the following World Cup in North America. Serbia or Russia will get in now when they debatably are weaker than USA/Canada/Jamaica, who will miss out to the Cooks. God forbid Malta may even be able to dig enough heritage players to qualify which would be a travesty at the expense of Canada, Jamaica, Serbia etc.

Should have been AP7, NA 2, Euro 6 & MEA 2 in a playoff for 2 spots.

jim_57

Staff member
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Serbia or Russia in the World Cup. Maybe the area the hosts of the World Cup come from should get the extra qualifier each time since we could split hairs all day about the perfect balance of teams.

Serbia, Russia, Spain etc get their big shot in 2021, 2025 USA & Canada auto-qual and Jamaica play anyone willing to take them on for an Americas spot etc.

roughyedspud

Coach
Right.. someone fill in the gaps cos I'm baffled..
Automatic qualified
1.Australia
2.England
3.Tonga
4.Fiji
5.Samoa
6.Lebanon
7.PNG
8.New Zealand
-------------------------

Which regions get what? So fill in the gaps with Euro 1,2,3 and so on...

Springs09

Juniors

I dunno, I thought Canada deserves direct qualification as much as Russia or Serbia.