What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

University Thread

Apey

Staff member
Go overseas and do a few group project assignments in a foreign language yourself. Come back and appreciate the effort these guys and gals are putting in just to give you what they have.

Sorry but that appreciating the effort remark is nonsense. These guys speak English pretty well, it's just their writing that is fairly poor. I'm pretty sure ESL students have to pass/achieve a reasonable mark in an ESL course before they can study other subjects. Once they have done that the assumption is that they are competent in English and will be marked by the same standards as everyone else.

The problem is this is IT/Computer Science we're talking about so this may be the first non-ESL subject they're having to write academically in English... but that's what the compulsory ESL course is supposed to help with anyway. I'm just curious how they have/will manage when they don't have someone willing to going through and fixing up all their mistakes for them. The responsibility is theirs to be able to write coherently in English, not mine.

Really though I think it comes back to me caring about my grades more than pretty much everyone I get grouped with. I'm starting to warm to the idea of just accepting it and settling for less with this group/course.

Yes I know it sucks, I've been there too, but having a dig at them is not the answer. If you have to have a dig at someone, have a dig at the uni.

The second part of my rant was just about general incompetence, unrelated to nationality. I always seem to get stuck with average students.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Sorry but that appreciating the effort remark is nonsense. These guys speak English pretty well, it's just their writing that is fairly poor. I'm pretty sure ESL students have to pass/achieve a reasonable mark in an ESL course before they can study other subjects. Once they have done that the assumption is that they are competent in English and will be marked by the same standards as everyone else.

The problem is this is IT/Computer Science we're talking about so this may be the first non-ESL subject they're having to write academically in English... but that's what the compulsory ESL course is supposed to help with anyway. I'm just curious how they have/will manage when they don't have someone willing to going through and fixing up all their mistakes for them. The responsibility is theirs to be able to write coherently in English, not mine.

Sounds like the uni doesn't enforce the ESL standard then (and why would they $$$). That is not the foreign student's fault.

Really though I think it comes back to me caring about my grades more than pretty much everyone I get grouped with. I'm starting to warm to the idea of just accepting it and settling for less with this group/course.

The second part of my rant was just about general incompetence, unrelated to nationality. I always seem to get stuck with average students.

Can't do much about that. Luck of the draw who you get put with. I guess it gets you ready for the real world in a certain sense.

Apey

Staff member
More than anything I'm just completely over Uni. Been there since 2009 (except 2013) and it's getting old. Need to find another path I think.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Been there since 2009

Ouch. If you've been there that long, at least finish. If you are full time, go part-time work, part-time study. If you are part-time go hammer and tongs full-time to knock it off. Either way it will shake up your life a bit and keep things interesting.

Misanthrope

Staff member
f**k TurnItIn is geniused.

Just put in my first assessment and got an originality score of 23%. 13% for my cover sheet and the remainder are either referenced quotes, the names of texts, or my own reference list.

Nary a sign of actual plagiarism to be found.

Mong

Post Whore
I always score high but it's all legit. Quoting parts of judgements tends to set the % off in a big way :)

Mong

Post Whore
Sunday morning online tutorials.

What a life...

Have said it before, it would be nice to be a full time bludger, I mean student, again :)

whall15

Coach
I'm a full-time student and I'm not bludging.

I just finished writing 4000 words about the excitement of contract acceptance and certainty of terms.

I have a feeling that I'm being a little over-the-top but I'm trying to be simultaneously thorough and succinct and I'm failing a little bit on the latter but I'm not particularly sure on any other way to do it at this stage.

Mong

Post Whore
Depending on what exactly you're answering, you're probs better off using a structure that is something similar to how you'd answer an exam question.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Any of the law students on here care to help me answer a few questions for an assignment? I'm tearing my hair out trying to wrap my head around this shit :lol:

whall15

Coach
Any of the law students on here care to help me answer a few questions for an assignment? I'm tearing my hair out trying to wrap my head around this shit :lol:

I've only done five weeks of a pretty bludgy introduction subject and contracts so I doubt I'd be of much help.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Curses!

I befriended one of the more studious members of my class and she came by this morning to go over it together. I was relieved to see my answers were correct, and managed to pick up some additional cases to use as examples too.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I think I've got it, but I'll shoot you an email and you can take a look if you so desire. Not due until midnight tomorrow, but I've submitted my answers just in case.

whall15

Coach
Just a question, what is exam viewing? I'm going to one on Thursday and I'm not quite sure what it is.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I deferred this semester. Being in Africa wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact I'm either traveling without internet or at home with only my phone as a hotspot >_<