What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updated Poll for Mary - Has he changed our minds?

How does everyone know feel about Mary for coach 9 Rounds in?

• Yes - Re-sign him for another couple of year

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • No - Get a new coach

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • Not yet - Wait till the end of the season

Votes: 50 64.9%

• Total voters

Walpole

Juniors
What ever happens , this year I would want another coach with fresh ideas.The problem is where do we find one ...... ?
No such thing unfortunately. Every coach suffers from the same debilitating lack of imagination. It's why this absurd bullshit about "the big 3 (or 4)" and "fullback money" exists. People spruik endless drivel about players "playing what's in front of them" yet there isn't a coach in the NRL with the balls or intelligence to "coach what's in front of them".

You don't have a fullback who passes well? Who gives a shit. Create plays that play to whatever strength he does have. Bloody hell, you've got a second rower who can do cartwheels? Work out a way to get some points out of that! Or you can do the same boring crap over and over and hope that you've got that one standout player who can win you a comp.

Every team is just a slightly different version of the same thing. I patiently await the arrival of a coach, any coach, with different and exciting ideas. But that would require à board with foresight, patient fans and a player group willing and ready to learn. Not gonna happen I'm afraid.

getsmarty

Immortal
Be interesting to see what selections coach makes with the injuries to Widdop and Dugan. Be good to see some youngsters blooded. I think we need to wait until the end of the year before re- signing Mary and even then I would still see what other options are available.

hazzbeen

Bench
No such thing unfortunately. Every coach suffers from the same debilitating lack of imagination. It's why this absurd bullshit about "the big 3 (or 4)" and "fullback money" exists. People spruik endless drivel about players "playing what's in front of them" yet there isn't a coach in the NRL with the balls or intelligence to "coach what's in front of them".

You don't have a fullback who passes well? Who gives a shit. Create plays that play to whatever strength he does have. Bloody hell, you've got a second rower who can do cartwheels? Work out a way to get some points out of that! Or you can do the same boring crap over and over and hope that you've got that one standout player who can win you a comp.

Every team is just a slightly different version of the same thing. I patiently await the arrival of a coach, any coach, with different and exciting ideas. But that would require à board with foresight, patient fans and a player group willing and ready to learn. Not gonna happen I'm afraid.
Well said mate ....

possm

Coach
Now that everything other than coaching the boys has been taken off Mary, it will be very interesting to see if he can retain control of the selection process. Millward would want Field to be selected at fullback for next week's game and if he goes well, stay there for the rest of the season. With Field at fullback, Dugan will be selected at right centre on his return from injury.

Last edited:

SEAT 1A

Bench
On reflection on the results Mary has put himself in a position to be re-signed however, that it for now.

I'm a bit old fashioned and would like to see where the club finishes. Playing finals is an expectation for the club and a top four position finish should be enough to get an extension.

St Georgio

Juniors
I would have re-signed if he could have come up with some sort of game plan to come away with points against the Roosters and Storm, but unfortunately no cigar, with injuries to Widdop and Dugan, I think everyone will have to wait until September to see where we sit, Yes to extending his contract for a further 2 years if we are in the top 4, I am sure his stats will get even better with a Hunt/Widdop combo.

epDragon62

First Grade
No 2 for me.
Cannot forgive his selections/non selections, eg Mann
CC

While I can understand your sentiment CC, I think past errors ought to be set aside if he shows he has learnt during the course of the rest of the year.

Put simply if he should take the team deep into the semis how can we complain?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
What ever happens , this year I would want another coach with fresh ideas.The problem is where do we find one ...... ?

If you 'Enter the Dragons' way of thinking, maybe its 'Just the Way of the Dragons' to operate from within the club to find 'The Big Boss' to coach us which can create 'The Fist of Fury' from the fans when things turn pear shape and 'The Game of Death' hits the coach once and for all as he is sacked.

Having seen your avatar, l couldn't help myself cause lm a Bruce Lee fan as well.

Last edited:

Como Connection

First Grade
While I can understand your sentiment CC, I think past errors ought to be set aside if he shows he has learnt during the course of the rest of the year.

Put simply if he should take the team deep into the semis how can we complain?
Not if he keeps picking Aiken in front of Mann.
CC

possm

Coach
Not if he keeps picking Aiken in front of Mann.
CC
The logic is that Aitken is part of the future plan and Mann and Milne aren't unless of course, Dugan is not signed and so more cap becomes available.

The problem is that it may not be Aitkens fault. Both the left and right outside backs were caught out by the Storm and the adjustments to fix that problem were not made until after half time. The problem was the defensive pattern however, Aitken does have a problem with running in to cut of play and coming away with grabbing air. When he does run in and shut down play it's great but more often he does not shut down play.

hazzbeen

Bench
If you 'Enter the Dragons' way of thinking, maybe its 'Just the Way of the Dragons' to operate from within the club to find 'The Big Boss' to coach us which can create 'The Fist of Fury' from the fans when things turn pear shape and 'The Game of Death' hits the coach once and for all as he is sacked.

Having seen your avatar, l couldn't help myself cause lm a Bruce Lee fan as well.
Well thought out like it ......:)

BankstownDragon

Juniors
I voted "No - Get a new coach" very quickly and in anger about the Storm games performance.
On second thoughts, and this paind me to say this, we prov should wait till the end of the year to judge.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Both Widdop and Lafai have been setting up a lot of tries. It is a real worry
to have Widdop unavailable. I wonder
where the tries will come from. Hopefully Mann and Mc Crone will fire up. The Sharks backline has plenty of pace which we will need to match. The other worry is that Aitken, Frizell, Mac Donald and Thompson have niggling injuries. Hopefully there will not be any late withdrawals.

Latest posts