US Presidential election 2016, pt 2. The quadrennial comedy show.

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by sensesmaybenumbed, May 20, 2016.

1. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

lol
    the big lefty brains are on the case

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/26/media/cnn-announcement-retracted-article/index.html

Three CNN journalists, including the executive editor in charge of a new investigative unit, have resigned after the publication of a Russia-related article that was retracted.
    Thomas Frank, who wrote the story in question; Eric Lichtblau, an editor in the unit; and Lex Haris, who oversaw the unit, have all left CNN.

"In the aftermath of the retraction of a story published on CNN.com, CNN has accepted the resignations of the employees involved in the story's publication," a spokesman said Monday evening.

2. TheVelourFog

TheVelourFog Bench

better to resign than lie and deny to keep your job eh millers

3. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

That story was from weeks ago Millers. This is just the fall out and they should go if they make shit up.

See, i dont disagree that this won't amount to anything. Where I do disagree with you is that I believe Don Jnr acted inappropriately. Not that either side is clean. Clinton certainly isn't and she specifically went against a promise she made to the executive not to accept funds from foreign sources while SOS but they also were smart enough not to publish evidence of their wrongdoing on twitter.

How anyone can defend Don Jnr is beyond me here. The guy is an absolute plum clearly and has been sold out by someone in the Trump camp for whatever reason they have. Its like game of thrones in there.

4. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

i was replying to the post above mine
    oh i know you dont

however you are playing the devils advocate and thats the point...you know 'this wont amount to anything'

so dont be surprised if i hold that in a bit of contempt

5. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

Whats the problem with acting as a devils advocate. Its a debate forum. So long as i am not being overtly trollish whats the issue

6. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

7. Canard

Canard Coach

Trump till they die.

FMD how un-Australian could you get.

8. I Bleed Maroon

I Bleed Maroon Coach

"Ditch the Witch"

"f**k off, we're full"

You tell me

9. Smack

Smack Bench

I await the latest scoop next week that will surely bring Trump down.

millersnose likes this.
  10. Game_Breaker

Game_Breaker First Grade

Welcome to last month

11. Game_Breaker

Game_Breaker First Grade

Donald Trump Jr. Could Testify Before Congress ‘Pretty Soon’
    Associated Press
    Jul 13, 2017
    (WASHINGTON) — The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee says he's sending a letter to Donald Trump Jr. to ask him to testify.

Sen. Chuck Grassley says he'd subpoena the president's eldest son if necessary. The Iowa Republican says he wants Trump Jr. to appear "pretty soon," and it could be as early as next week.

Trump Jr. released emails this week from 2016 in which he appeared eager to accept information from the Russian government that could have damaged Hillary Clinton's campaign.

The panel is investigating Russian meddling in the U.S. election. Grassley wouldn't say what he wants to hear from the president's eldest son, but said members aren't restricted "from asking anything they want to ask."

http://time.com/4856842/senate-judiciary-committee-donald-trump-jr-testimony/

12. Firey_Dragon

Firey_Dragon Coach

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...unter-intelligence-officer-trump-team-n782851

https://apnews.com/dceed1008d8f45afb314aca65797762a

Apparently another undisclosed person was also in attendance.

Akhmetshin has been associated with stories relating to money laundering using Manhatten real estate in the past. A case in particular that was resolved quickly after Trump's firing of Preet Bharara. Akhmetshin is allegedly former GRU, who the CIA accuse of doing the email release to wikileaks. He is also known as a fixer for Russian oligarchs.

I'm sure they discussed nothing of value.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Cletus likes this.
  13. Firey_Dragon

Firey_Dragon Coach

Trump Team Met Russian Accused of International Hacking Conspiracy
    Rinat Akhmetshin allegedly stole sensitive documents from a corporation years before he joined Natalia Veselnitskaya to meet Donald Trump Jr., Paul Manafort, and Jared Kushner.
    KEVIN POULSEN
    NICO HINES
    KATIE ZAVADSKI
    07.14.17 10:49 AM ET
    The alleged former Soviet intelligence officer who attended the now-infamous meeting with Donald Trump Jr. and other top campaign officials last June was previously accused in federal and state courts of orchestrating an international hacking conspiracy.

Rinat Akhmetshin told the Associated Press on Friday he accompanied Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya to the June 9, 2016, meeting with Donald Trump Jr., Jared Kushner, and Paul Manafort. Trump’s attorney confirmed Akhmetshin’s attendance in a statement.

Akhmetshin’s presence at Trump Tower that day adds another layer of controversy to an episode that already provides the clearest indication of collusion between the Kremlin and the Trump campaign. In an email in the run-up to that rendezvous, Donald Trump Jr. was promised “very high level and sensitive information” on Hillary Clinton as “part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump.”

Akhmetshin had been hired by Veselnitskaya to help with pro-Russian lobbying efforts in Washington. He also met and lobbied Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, chairman of the Foreign Affairs Sub-Committee for Europe, in Berlin in April.

In court papers filed with the New York Supreme Court in November 2015, Akhmetshin was described as “a former Soviet military counterintelligence officer” by lawyers for International Mineral Resources (IMR), a Russian mining company that alleged it had been hacked.

Those documents accuse Akhmetshin of hacking into two computer systems and stealing sensitive and confidential materials as part of an alleged black-ops smear campaign against IMR. The allegations were later withdrawn.

The U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C. was told in July 2015 that Akhmetshin had arranged the hacking of a mining company’s private records—stealing internal documents and then disseminating them. The corporate-espionage case was brought by IMR, which alleged that Akhmetshin was hired by Russian oligarch Andrey Melinchenko, an industrialist with a fortune estimated at around $12 billion.

A New York law firm paid Akhmetshin $140,000, including expenses, to organize a public-relations campaign targeting IMR. Shortly after he began that work, IMR suffered a sophisticated and systematic breach of its computers, and gigabytes of data allegedly stolen in the breach wound up the hands of journalists and human-rights groups critical of the mining company. IMR accused Akhmetshin of paying Russian hackers to carry out the attack.

IMR went so far as to hire a private investigator to follow Akhmetshin on a trip to London. That private eye, Akis Phanartzis, wrote in a sworn declaration to the court that he eavesdropped on Akhmetshin in a London coffee shop and heard Akhmetshin boast that “he organized the hacking of IMR’s computer systems” on behalf of Melinchenko’s fertilizer producer Eurochem. “Mr. Akhmetshin [noted] that he was hired because there were certain things that the law firm could not do,” Phanartzis said.

Akhmetshin denied the accusation, but admitted passing around a “hard drive” filled with data on IMR’s owners. He said the information was all open-source material that he’d gotten from the former prime minister of Kazakhstan, Akezhan Kazhegeldin. The private investigator, though, said he recovered a copy of the data on a thumb drive provided by an anonymous source, and found it consisted of gigabytes of private files stolen in the computer intrusion. A computer-forensics expert examined the thumb drive and found metadata indicating some of the files had last been opened by a user with the initials “RA.”

Lawyers acting for Akhmetshin deny that he allegedly confessed to hacking. They did not deny that he had bragged about his investigatory techniques in a public place, but claimed that his methods did not involve computer intrusion.

These court disputes came after IMR had originally filed an application in the U.S. in April 2014 requesting that Akhmetshin, a resident of Washington, D.C., give a deposition and share documents with the company as part of discovery for a case being heard in the Dutch courts. That case was won in the Netherlands without needing evidence from Akhmetshin.

GET THE BEAST IN YOUR INBOX!

By clicking “Subscribe,” you agree to have read the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

That changed a year later, when the verdict was appealed and an American judge granted IMR’s request for a subpoena to be issued. During Akhmetshin’s deposition, he refused to answer a number of questions and declined to produce the 261 requested documents, citing attorney-client privilege and non-testifying expert-witness privilege.

IMR successfully argued that his claim of privilege should be reviewed by a judge—out of the courtroom, in the judge’s private chambers—because there was no such protection in a “crime-fraud” case.

In 2015, citing emails and records it obtained in the federal case, International Mineral Resources filed a lawsuit in New York Supreme Court directly accusing Akhmetshin of hacking the company. But early last year the company abruptly withdrew “all allegations made by it against Defendants in the Complaint,” according to a court document. The withdrawal included “allegations therein that Defendants [...] have engaged in any unlawful or improper acts against IMR, including but not limited to hacking any information from IMR’s computer systems, disseminating any information as part of a smear campaign against IMR.” The lead attorney in the case did not return a phone call from The Daily Beast about the lawsuit.

Akhmetshin’s tradecraft extends to U.S. politics. He is a registered congressional lobbyist who was paid $10,000 by Veselnitskaya’s nonprofit group, the Human Rights Accountability Global Initiative Foundation. The group lobbies members of Congress against the Magnitsky Act, a U.S. law designed to punish Russian officials believed to be responsible for the death of a financial investigator.

After Akhmetshin and Veselnitskaya met the Trump team on June 9, 2016, they traveled to Washington, D.C. On June 13, they attended a screening of an anti-Magnitsky Act movie directed by Andrei Nekrasov. The screening at the Newseum was arranged by Veselnitskaya’s group and was open to members of Congress.

The following day, Akhmetshin, Veselnitskaya, and Nekrasov attended a House Foreign Affairs Committee hearing on “U.S. Policy Towards Putin’s Russia.” Veselnitskaya was photographed sitting behind former U.S. ambassador to Russia, Michael McFaul, who was testifying. One top congressional aide said she was first in line to attend that hearing.

Later that night, the group convened at the Capitol Hill Club, an official Republican Party restaurant and meeting place. A top aide to Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, a pro-Russian Republican on the Foreign Affairs Committee who also attended the dinner, confirmed the gathering.

Akhmetshin admitted to the AP on Friday that he was part of the Soviet military’s counterintelligence unit, but claims he was never formally trained as a spy and was not an intelligence officer. He said the meeting at Trump Tower had been disappointing. “I never thought this would be such a big deal to be honest,” he said.

— with reporting from Kevin Poulsen in San Francisco, Katie Zavadski in New York, Nico Hines in London, and Sam Stein in Washington, D.C.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-team-met-russian-accused-of-international-hacking-conspiracy

14. Drunk Hannibal

Drunk Hannibal Juniors

This might seem like a strange question to ask, but why would they care what Putin's intentions are if the information they are being offered is actually legitimate? They really have no way of being able to determine whether the information actually is legitimate or not until it is presented to them, which is what the meeting was purportedly set up to do. Is anyone sure that Trump Jr. has actually done anything illegal here?

15. Drunk Hannibal

Drunk Hannibal Juniors

Is neither an option?

16. I Bleed Maroon

I Bleed Maroon Coach

lol NO, because CNN has never been and never will be at all comparable to the channel that has Sean Hannity on it.

CNN is a bad news station, Fox News is propaganda. There is a very clear difference. Here is why CNN is awful, and it is not because they're "fake news":

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  17. Drunk Hannibal

Drunk Hannibal Juniors

So CNN tells the truth, is that what you are saying? For an organisation that tells the truth they do seem to be letting go of a lot of reporters and changing a lot of their articles to reflect the fact that the complete opposite of what they reported had actually occurred. Do you remember being excited when CNN breathlessly reported that James Comey was going to refute Trump's claim that he'd been told on no less than three occasions that he was not under investigation? I do.

18. Drunk Hannibal

Drunk Hannibal Juniors

How about this... CNN, more truthier than Fox News. Would that be better?

I Bleed Maroon likes this.
  19. I Bleed Maroon

I Bleed Maroon Coach

Great, further proof they have a terrible clanger streak, but here's a question: When was the last time Fox News actually retracted ANYTHING? Bonus points if you find something they didn't double down on. CNN would not have reported on that disgraceful Clinton pedophile pizza parlour story in a million years.

20. Drunk Hannibal

Drunk Hannibal Juniors

They just retracted a story only days ago about James Comey leaking top secret information to a friend. CNN instead reported about Trump being pissed on by prostitutes, and how he gets two scoops of ice cream when everyone else only gets one!

But just on the subject of Comet Ping Pong for a moment. From memory, CNN actually did report on that story. Are you suggesting that Fox News was trying to promote PizzaGate or that they produced any kind of serious reporting on it prior to a guy walking in there with a gun? I don't recall that being the case, but I'm happy for you to prove me wrong.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017