US Presidential election 2016, pt 2. The quadrennial comedy show.

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by sensesmaybenumbed, May 20, 2016.

1. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

Would that be like benefits to vets.....

2. some11

some11 Coach

THIS

IS

WHY-

[​IMG]

3. DC_fan

DC_fan Coach

Black Lives Matter

Today I had the opportunity to listen Patrisse Cullors speak at the University of Sydney about Black Lives Matter (BLM). She is a co-founder of that organisation. She spoke for about an hour with Stan Grant, before answering some audience questions.

BLM were not happy with Obama and his presidency. They believe he did not help them them out of the oppression, black Americans find themselves suffering. That black Americans still remain downtrodden by whites. That America is a whites mens country, and for a black man to get ahead he needs to act like a white man. Even then he is treated with little respect. With Trump, the words 'white supremacist' was used to describe many of his supporters. She made the suggestion that BLM may have to form their own political party, as they believe neither the Democrats or Republicans are of any value to them.

I enjoyed listening to her, and got a lot out of the discussion.

4. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

Yep many black activists weren't happy with Obama's neoliberal policies.

Dr Cornel West regularly tore strips off his presidency.

5. Danish

Danish Referee

Did anyone ask her to elaborate on what it means to "act like a white man"?

I've asked a few of my left leaning friends this question, and none have ever been able to actually answer it in any meaningful way. Basically it just leads to them rattling off a bunch of stereotypes.

The same is also true when asking them how to define how one might "act black"

6. 2_Smoking_Guns

2_Smoking_Guns First Grade

7. Danish

Danish Referee

Do you honestly think that is what Patrisse Cullors thinks black people need to act to get ahead in the US?

Or did you just want to try and shoe horn in a completely unrelated video of an old racist australian guy from over 30 years ago when discussing modern day US race relations?

Smack likes this.
  8. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Learn to dance awkwardly?

cerberus likes this.
  9. mave

mave Bench

Suddenly being unable to jump ?

Jimbo and millersnose like this.
  10. Canard

Canard Coach

Do you seriously think that you can only understand the meaning of someone's terminology if you lean to one political side?

At best that seems disingenuous on your part.

11. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

Bunch of white guilt junkies who think whitey is evil go to a speech by someone who says whitey is evil and agrees

In next week episodes a bunch of people who think Islam is evil and feminists are rediculous go to a milo event where milo says Islam is evil and feminists are rediculous and agree

SBD82 likes this.
  12. Danish

Danish Referee

I'm not sure how you could have extracted that insight from my post. Perhaps you didn't understand it?

2SG responded to my posting asking if the speaker qualified in any way what she believes "acting white" is by posting a video of Lang Hancock making some racist comments in the 80s. I then asked him to clarify if he was actually trying to define what "acting white" was, or just posting a random racist vid.

How does that relate to only being able to understand someone's terminology if they are of a particular political leaning? Its not like I don't understand what the term "acting white" means i.e. acting like a white person. I am rather asking if the speaker clarified what actions she thinks define what "acting white" would look like, since such a phrase is infinitely subjective and bigoted by its very definition

13. DC_fan

DC_fan Coach

Yes they did. To paraphrase, the answer was, to act like a while man is to appear like a white man, as in how you present yourself to the world. That you speak, dress and act like a white man. Do not use words that a white man would not. Do not dress like a white man would not. Do not act like a white man would not. Its like if a black man what’s to get anywhere in this world then he has to become white.

14. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

lol

why is blue blue

because it is blue

hahahhaha

15. Danish

Danish Referee

Sorry but that doesn't sound like much of an elaboration at all.

What kind of clothes are "white" clothes? What kind of words are "white" words? What kind of actions are "white" actions?

Just saying "don't wear, say, or do anything a white person wouldn't" is meaningless. You'll need to define what those things actually are.

16. Canard

Canard Coach

So why did you ask your "pinko" mates what the term meant? Just to big note yourself and start an arguement?

Also what's why would you think there view represents those of a political movement accurately?

17. Danish

Danish Referee

Q - "How do I play soccer?"
    A - "Join a soccer game"

Q - "What is a soccer game?"
    A - "The one that uses a soccer ball"

Q - "What is a soccer ball?"
    A - "It is the ball they use to play soccer"

RETURN TO TOP

18. Canard

Canard Coach

Yes, there are no cultural differences between races.

19. Danish

Danish Referee

Well for one thing the vast majority of my friends are left leaning, and secondly the only people who I've heard use the term "acting white" or some other similar phrasing are left leaning ones. So it stands to reason that I would then be asking them to explain what they are talking about.

If I ever happen to bump some alt-right guy going on about the virtues of "acting white" I'll ask them too. I just don't tend to hang out with such people

20. DC_fan

DC_fan Coach

Good questions you ask. I suppose she answered them in how she dressed, spoke and acted yesterday. She dressed like I would expect any woman, regardless of race to do. As she did in how she spoke. For mine the only thing that identified with her being black, was the colour of her skin. But how she looked and spoke could be her trying to make a point. It can be difficult to judge a person after just 90 minutes.