US Presidential election 2016, pt 2. The quadrennial comedy show.

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by sensesmaybenumbed, May 20, 2016.

1. cerberus

cerberus First Grade

ooh yeah

2. Smack

Smack Bench

-5/10

He's Monglite

3. Canard

Canard Coach

4. 2_Smoking_Guns

2_Smoking_Guns First Grade

5. Danish

Danish Referee

Jimbo would never have such long hair.

Throws off the aerodynamics of the bike

6. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

Without stipulating economically right wing this is incorrect.

I would call myself libertarian with regard to social issues (abortion, SSM, etc). Many libertarians share my views but extend their beliefs to economic policy as well (health care, schooling). One of the major issues that libertarians face in the primaries is that they are socially progressive, and therefore face condemnation from the traditional religious right.

7. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

Yet Trump appealed to both conservatives especially the religious right and libertarians.....

8. Canard

Canard Coach

The libertarians were especially successful in helping spread the massive falsehood that the Republicans were "anti-war" and a vote for the Dems was a pro-war one.

How or why the believed this tripe I'm still not sure of.

Mr Spock! likes this.
  9. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

Like f**k he did.

Most libertarians I know supported Rubio in the primaries. And the traditional conservative base were trying to figure out how to get rid of him even leading up the convention.

10. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

Who are you talking about? Bannon?

11. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

Trump did quite well in the new Hampshire gop primary which suggests he was reasonably popular with the libertarian wing of the party.

Trump has quite broad appeal among the right. Its why he won. The main group that resisted were educated whites in the south who probably thought him a loud mouth yankee but even then they still sucked it up and voted for him in the general.

He somehow won both romney reoublicans and the crazies

Mr Spock! likes this.
  12. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

I don't know how to put this without it sounding like a "no true Scotsmen" argument, so pick the fallacy if you want.

Trump stood on what was essentially a protectionist economic platform. It's very different thinking to libertarian ideology. The criticisms leveled at libertarianism of selfishness could be extended to include hypocrisy in this but "no true libertarian" could justify trumps economic policies.

The whole party certainly fell in line once the primaries were done, but I would say that had more to do with a lesser of two evils mentality.

*edit. It probably also didn't help that Rubio shat the bed in the debate.

13. Danish

Danish Referee

The last election was a sign of how much republicans hate the Clintons, not how much they love trump.

The election was won and lost because of how terrible Hillary is. She lost multiple states in which trump got fewer votes than McCain and Romney.

He’ll even in states where trump picked up votes I would bet my life on it being because of how much those voters did NOT want Hillary in the Whitehouse

Jimbo likes this.
  14. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

Yes she was a bad candidate but in the GOP primary trump won both Massachusetts and Indiana. That is very broad appeal in a crowded field.

Trump won 37 states across very diverse voter bases. I guess one could say he did weakest in the southwest around texas where cruz is strong but beating cruz in Indiana says something.

His weakest areas where states with a connection to another candidate and states where being a rude new york jackass is a negative (like he came third in Minnesota)

Trump was very successful at looking like a moderate republican while dumping red meat to the base. Easily the best at it since george w bush.

As i said before he pretty much swept the northeast where the Republicans tend to be small government types rather than guns n bibles

Mr Spock! likes this.
  15. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

Good result for the democrats in Virginia. They retained the governor and have at worst removed the GOP supermajority in the house of representatives which means as far as elections going forward they have veto power over the next redistribution so that should cut back on the gerrymandering in the state

16. DC_fan

DC_fan Coach

17. DC_fan

DC_fan Coach

Maybe Trump May head to Africa and bag himself a trophy

Mr Spock! likes this.
  18. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

I've always thought that killing things was the best way to protect them.

19. 2_Smoking_Guns

2_Smoking_Guns First Grade

allowing psychopaths with an insatiable desire to kill magnificent animals to "hunt" for "sport" is good for the survival of the animals...... rightio then.... what would be good for the animals would be to allow these f**kwits to arm themselves to the teeth and go out and hunt each other.... that would be more akin to sport.....

Mr Spock! likes this.
  20. Danish

Danish Referee

Trump usually bags his trophies in eastern europe

SBD82, Meth, millersnose and 2 others like this.