What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA and Canada to host RLWC2025

VictoryFC

Bench
There are heaps of purpose built soccer stadium of 20-30,000, check out the major league soccer venues.

I'll be shocked if a large part of the WC isn't hosted in MLS stadiums.

For anyone that's not familiar, here's a rundown. I've had to split it up into several posts because of limitations.

San Jose - 18,000

avaya3.jpg

Houston - 23,029

bbva41.jpg

Toronto - 30,228

rsz_bmo_reopening_05-06-16-6.jpg

Kansas City - 18,467

sporting-parkkc*750xx5379-3026-0-280.jpg

Denver - 18,086

Dick's%20Sporting%20Goods%20Park.jpg

VictoryFC

Bench
MLS stadiums that will be in operation before 2025:

Orlando - 25,500
Orlando-City-SC-stadium-0610.jpg

St Paul/Minneapolis - 21,500

mn-stadium-topper.jpg

Los Angeles - 22,000

newrender2-1024x527.jpg

Washington DC - 20,000

Aerial_5_F%20copy.png

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
F*ck and actual duck, i dont believe it. RL is doing something positive...

Im actually surprise they pick America though, given the timezone. South Africa or Asia seem more logical; the stadiums might be empty but at least it wont effect the TV audiences in AUstralia/England.

Hope it all works out. Even a moderately successful comp will be great, hopefully it will give the RLIF confidence to do it again....

VictoryFC

Bench
Why can't our clubs here in Australia have stadiums like this, most of these were about 90-100million.

We have them though. It's just that the US is bigger. Melbourne's AAMI Park, nib stadium, suncorp, and SFS+new parra means that all major cities, outside of Adelaide, have very good 20,000+ seaters.

jim_57

Staff member
Have to agree those MLS stadiums look perfect for pools & quarters, they also cover most areas/cities that would be key to a NA World Cup. Bigger games like an opener, semis, final etc wpuld be looking at NFL stadiums though you'd think.

Last Week

Bench
It's a dilemma. On the one hand, you want the US and Canada to have success. You want to give both sets of fans a great spectacle to see. In my mind, that would be a USA vs Canada quarter final.

But its also important to have balanced pools. Moving away from super pools.

Using the '17 nations plus Canada and Russia, here is how I would have the pools.

Pool A; Australia, Scotland, Fiji, Italy.
Pool B; New Zealand, Lebanon, Tonga, France.
Pool C; England, USA, Russia, Samoa.
Pool D; Canada, Wales, Ireland, PNG.

Going off that, the likely/ideal quarter final scenarios would be ;
1st A (Aus) vs 2nd B (France)
1st B (NZ) vs 2nd A (Fiji)
1st C (Eng) vs 2nd D (Ireland)
1st D (Canada) vs 2nd C (USA)

I would consider staging a double header in Hawaii. USA vs Samoa and NZ vs Tonga.

This is all in an ideal world where development into both national teams is strong and they get to a level where they can be reasonably be expected to compete and beat the likes of PNG, Ireland and Wales. I doubt it though.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Have to agree those MLS stadiums look perfect for pools & quarters, they also cover most areas/cities that would be key to a NA World Cup. Bigger games like an opener, semis, final etc wpuld be looking at NFL stadiums though you'd think.
We should have no problem selling out Soldier Field for a semi-final, and I'd have the final at Michigan Stadium and look for a 100k+ crowd. The problem is that the fields at gridiron stadiums are usually smaller than regulation for RL. This is all fantasy stuff anyway at this stage for the reasons I posted earlier. The USA might not even exist in 2025.

adamkungl

Immortal
The width of nfl fields could be a problem. The playing field is a lot thinner and though they have a lot of extra room around it I'm not sure there's 68m worth.
A thinner field is worse than a shorter one imo

VictoryFC

Bench
The width of nfl fields could be a problem. The playing field is a lot thinner and though they have a lot of extra room around it I'm not sure there's 68m worth.
A thinner field is worse than a shorter one imo

Vietually all NFL stadiums are designed so they can host soccer as well. This wouldnt be an issue at all.

It's a dilemma. On the one hand, you want the US and Canada to have success. You want to give both sets of fans a great spectacle to see. In my mind, that would be a USA vs Canada quarter final.

But its also important to have balanced pools. Moving away from super pools.

Using the '17 nations plus Canada and Russia, here is how I would have the pools.

Pool A; Australia, Scotland, Fiji, Italy.
Pool B; New Zealand, Lebanon, Tonga, France.
Pool C; England, USA, Russia, Samoa.
Pool D; Canada, Wales, Ireland, PNG.

Going off that, the likely/ideal quarter final scenarios would be ;
1st A (Aus) vs 2nd B (France)
1st B (NZ) vs 2nd A (Fiji)
1st C (Eng) vs 2nd D (Ireland)
1st D (Canada) vs 2nd C (USA)

I would consider staging a double header in Hawaii. USA vs Samoa and NZ vs Tonga.

This is all in an ideal world where development into both national teams is strong and they get to a level where they can be reasonably be expected to compete and beat the likes of PNG, Ireland and Wales. I doubt it though.
I think I'd take a guaranteed USA v Canada pool game over an unlikely quarter final hay depends on results all going exactly to plan. In 2013 they set it up so Wales would play Australia in the quarter finals in Wrexham. They handed them games against what seemed like the three weakest teams - USA, Cook Islands and qualifiers Italy. Only problem is they all had ring ins galore and USA and Italy both beat Wales.

Panfas

Juniors
Some quick time comparisons

US East Coast 8.00PM = 11.00AM Brisbane, 12.00PM Sydney, 2.00PM Auckland
US West Coast 8.00PM = 2.00PM Brisbane, 3.00PM Sydney, 5.00PM Auckland
Aus/NZ/Pacific targeted games on Friday/Saturday nights in the US, for Saturday/Sunday afternoon telecast

US East Coast 3.00PM = 8.00PM England
US West Coast 12.00PM = 8.00PM England
Europe targeted games on Saturday/Sunday in the US, for Saturday/Sunday night telecast

PaulyTom

Juniors
Those MLS stadiums are unreal and should be clear targets subject to them being long enough.

The only game to pe played outside one of those is the final which should be pencilled in for a 40k-65k stadium .

PaulyTom

Juniors
This is a bit dreamy but a good balance of travel destination and reasonable travel times to keep travel costs and times down.

Pool 1
Los Angeles
San Francisco / San Jose
Las Vegas
San Diego

Pool 2
Miami
Orlando
Atlanta
Jacksonville

Pool 3 Group with Canada in it
Toronto
Montreal
Chicago
Vancouver

Pool 4
New York
Boston
Philadelphia
Washington

Pool 5
Denver
Houston
Dallas
New Orleans or San Antonio

PaulyTom

Juniors
Or maybe a less aggressive approach .

16 teams , 8 Usa cities and 3 Canadian cities

Canadian cities
Vancouver
Toronto
Montreal

U.s.a cities
New York
Washington
Las Vegas
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Chicago
Denver
Orlando or Miami

adamkungl

Immortal
My draw has 20 cities lol

Pool A
1 Vancouver
2 Portland

3 Toronto
4 New Orleans

5 Montreal
6 Boston

Pool B
1 San Diego
2 Seattle

3 Los Angeles
4 Portland

5 Los Angeles
6 San Francisco

Pool C
1 Salt Lake City
2 New Orleans

3 Houston
4 Salt Lake City

5 Houston
6 Denver

Pool D
1 Orlando
2 Jacksonville

3 Philadelphia
4 Boston

5 Philadelphia
6 New York City

Quarter Finals
QF Toronto
QF San Francisco
QF Denver
QF New York City

Semi Finals
SF1 Las Vegas
SF2 Washington DC

Final
GF Chicago

Getting carried away now.

I'm not even that interested in speculating about the details of the event as much as the lead-up.

I want to know what the RLIF actually plans to do grow the game there and promote it so that it has a reasonable chance of success by 2025.

The completes lack of any plan for the game over the next eight years suggests they have nfi.

Latest posts