What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA Bid for 2021 World Cup

PaulyTom

Juniors
Tv timings for Australia might be questionable if it's in the states. But I love the idea .

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
The more I think about this the more it makes sense.

The World Cup has to break out of the England-Australia cycle at some point. League also has to establish an independant professional league at some point. The USA fits the bill for both. You've got the athletes, the love of sport, the money, the resemblance of NFL to league, the soccer stadiums, a growing interest in rugby without the union bias, burgeoning Canada to the north, Jamaica to the south...

You put a world cup on in the USA and everybody takes notice.

Where else even comes close to providing all this?

If Russell Crowe and Greg Norman arriving in a helicopter can get 13k to a nothing game between two completely unknown clubs playing an unknown sport, you've got to have some faith in the ability of the American public to latch on to something like this. There are a multitude of stars they could wheel out to "parrainer" games or the entire event.

I think it is more a question of when rather than where.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
I have not seen the USA WC bid, and I do not know if the NFL is, or would, consider helping it in some way with some supportive PR and access to stadiums. But here are some things I do know:
1) The NFL has global expansion desires, especially with brand reach, fans increase, merchandise sales, etc.
2) The London game was a ONE GAME experiment that has now turned into a Multi game per year, multi year, multiple team, commitment. They have found a mine that is producing, and they are expanding the mine.
3) When Hayne was with the 49'ers his Jersey topped sales for Weeks, and an Aussie TV Network fell all over itself to deliver 49'ers games to Australia. Because the value was seen as large enough. *All of this was HANDED to the NFL for nothing more than one team offering one man, a league minimum contract. (The press was GLOBAL within the RL community)
4) Rugby League has already done something that NFL loves. The sport has filtered and then condensed the EXACT Target Fan base the NFL wants. If you look at the demographic stats on NFL fans, and RL Fans, they are almost identical. Mostly Males, Similar Interests in Sponsor Items, Sporting Based, Same percentages in age ranges, etc. If the NFL wanted a portal into a fan base that was customized for them, RL provides it in any country where it has a foothold. (Aus, UK, PNG, parts of NZ and a bit in France)
5) The NFL would be giving up nothing in any type of market share if they pumped out a bit of PR and opened up a few stadiums for the WC in the USA. (Or even one or two singular events in the coming years). If the NFL wants to put out stories that make their fans feel as if they are providing them with some good, something extra, something more than expectations, then the NFL PR Machine makes it sound just like that.
6) Take a look at how the New England Patriots are handling the Nate Ebner thing with the current USA 7's Olympic team. It cost the Patriots NOTHING. All they had to do was let him go and play, and then he will return before the NFL season starts. Now take a look at some of the PR being released by the Patriots and how they are supporting Nate, are proud of him, etc. They are saying all the right things to their fan base, but even more importantly they are saying all the right things to the RUGBY COMMUNITY in the USA. The Rugby community LOVE the Patriots right now. Even fans of other NFL teams are openly saying how great the Pats are for being so supportive. The Pats brand is getting a boost across the entire USA, in their EXACT demographic, because they are producing the PR in way where they are loved by Rugby Fans in general.
They are not losing fans over this, in fact they are gaining more fans, all because they backed a guy into a sport that 90% of American know nothing about.
Sure Rugby is getting a boost too, but the Pats are getting their share as well.

So when you look at the desire of the NFL, the Global fan base they target, and how little they would need to invest, supporting the RLWC or another large enough event to make international TV, why would they not get behind it? It is not as if they are going to be giving up market share on TV, they are not going to be paying for any of the Network costs, etc.

They may not have an interest at all, but there is certainly a ready made fan base that could be delivered to them if they did.

emesssea

Juniors
j
Sure Rugby is getting a boost too, but the Pats are getting their share as well.

So when you look at the desire of the NFL, the Global fan base they target, and how little they would need to invest, supporting the RLWC or another large enough event to make international TV, why would they not get behind it? It is not as if they are going to be giving up market share on TV, they are not going to be paying for any of the Network costs, etc.

They may not have an interest at all, but there is certainly a ready made fan base that could be delivered to them if they did.

How international tv is the RLWC really? Because I've never seen it on TV, as Im sure the majority of the world hasnt either.

Unless the RLWC agrees not to play on thursday nights, friday nights, saturday, sunday, and monday nights, the NFL will be at risk at giving up market share either for themselves or for their partners, as there is another competition going up against them. Of course that is theoretical, because football right now is untouchable, so much so that regular season games outdraw the the world series.

But lets say your right, the NFL will help in organizing the event into hoping to convert fans, and you are right in saying you know rugby league fans will want to go to see NFL games. When the games inevitably go head to head which match up with a group of 30 australians want to see: Patriots v Panthers (a potentially once in a lifetime event for them) or Scotland v Tonga? So not only does the RL risk being squashed in the US tv markets, but also risk losing fans in attendance at also-ran matches.

But in reality the NFL isnt going to help unless theyre getting something directly out of it (aka cash). Remember this is an organization that charged the US military millions of dollars for soldier to perform patriotic pregame military tributes.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
And the NFL has also been charged Millions of Dollars by the USA Military to conduct Flyovers, etc. at Events.

I am not saying I am right. I am saying those are facts on the similarities in the RL fan base to the NFL fan base.

You want to rip the dream a part, I am OK supporting it providing it doesn't cost the RLIF and thus Global Development dollars.

Everything starts as nothing more than an idea, or a dream. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

emesssea

Juniors
But it will cost the RLIF money, right? Isnt there a thread on this board wondering if the world cup is going to make a profit or not its a rugby league hot bead? Can't imagine the revenue projections would be better hosted by a country where the majority of its citizens dont even nowof the sport.

Its okay to dream, but it needs to be balanced by the reality of the situation.
My dream:
1. My fellow americans realize there is a sport called rugby league
2. They like the sport
3. The game is played at the grassroots level en mass
4. There is a demand for a fully professional league with a tv deal
5. 3+4= a competitive US national team
6. The US host the WC and it has the same sporting and cultural impact that FIFA 94 did.

If this all happens by the time I die (early 30s, and provided I have the life span of the median US male) I will be pleasantly surprised. It took soccer, a sport that has a lot deeper roots in the US, close to a 100 years to finally arrive.

If there was an easier way, such as help fromt he NFL, it would have been tried years ago.

side note: Do you know how much it cost to fly a military jet? Its pretty expensive, so no wonder the Pentagon would charge for non-essential flying operations. Charging the military to allow their members pay tribute to their fallen comrades while pretendiing to 'support the troops' isn't the same, its the definition of greed. And thats who you think will help out, just cause. This is also an orginzation that profits off of breast cancer awareness month.

side not #2: actually the military doesnt charge, except in certain cases, for flyovers it comes out of their training budget. http://science.howstuffworks.com/military-flyover.htm

spinnerhowland

Juniors
But it will cost the RLIF money, right? Isnt there a thread on this board wondering if the world cup is going to make a profit or not its a rugby league hot bead? Can't imagine the revenue projections would be better hosted by a country where the majority of its citizens dont even nowof the sport.

Its okay to dream, but it needs to be balanced by the reality of the situation.
My dream:
1. My fellow americans realize there is a sport called rugby league
2. They like the sport
3. The game is played at the grassroots level en mass
4. There is a demand for a fully professional league with a tv deal
5. 3+4= a competitive US national team
6. The US host the WC and it has the same sporting and cultural impact that FIFA 94 did.

If this all happens by the time I die (early 30s, and provided I have the life span of the median US male) I will be pleasantly surprised. It took soccer, a sport that has a lot deeper roots in the US, close to a 100 years to finally arrive.

If there was an easier way, such as help fromt he NFL, it would have been tried years ago.

side note: Do you know how much it cost to fly a military jet? Its pretty expensive, so no wonder the Pentagon would charge for non-essential flying operations. Charging the military to allow their members pay tribute to their fallen comrades while pretendiing to 'support the troops' isn't the same, its the definition of greed. And thats who you think will help out, just cause. This is also an orginzation that profits off of breast cancer awareness month.

side not #2: actually the military doesnt charge, except in certain cases, for flyovers it comes out of their training budget. http://science.howstuffworks.com/military-flyover.htm

You have started to confuse and combine separate items. Stay focused!! And yes I know exactly how much Flyover Costs, and the incredible lengths you need to go thru to get one approved and paid for. I tried. Just not worth it in the end. But again, stay focused on the line items being discussed.
One day someone will do something that amazes you, and you will think, damn if I had of thought of that, I would have done it years ago.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think its great that other countries, besides the big 3 have made bids for the Rugby League World Cup.

I like to see it somewhere different as it'll be huge boost to our International Game.

Although to me its look unlikely it'll be in the USA, however if their bid is successful I just hope they promote it well and get decent crowds over there.

jim_57

Staff member
Ideally after another couple successful World Cups we could start spreading the tournament to new markets. Ideally I'd like to see something like this:

World Cups - 12 year cycle (3 Tournaments) - 2 in Heartlands, 1 in New Market.

33% in New Markets

Confed Cups - 8 Year cycle (2 Tournaments) - 1 in Heartlands, 1 in New Market.

50% in New Markets

RLIF World 9's - 8 Year Cycle (4 Tournaments) - 1 in Heartlands, 3 in New Markets

75% in New Markets

adamkungl

Immortal
For me it's a pretty straightforward question, over everything else.

Can a business case be made for a USA (or France) World Cup that hits the target profit for the event? Yes or No.

What's the target profit? The amount the RLIF need to implement the next 4 years of their Strategic Plan.

hutch

First Grade
I'm surprised the French havnt put in a bid. They are realistically the fourth biggest rugby league nation in terms of dollars. I think it would be massive for the game there.

adamkungl

Immortal
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-history-over-world-cup-20160810-gqppbj.html

In November, rugby league faces possibly its most important decision in decades.

No, the decision is not where the 2021 World Cup is held. The World Cup itself is important but not that important. The decision is whether NOT to take the 2021 World Cup to the United States.

1470876466266.jpg

Time to spread the word: League must end a cycle that has kept it one of the world's great sporting secrets for almost a century and a quarter. Photo: Getty Images
League has had a long and turbulent history with America. There is an outstanding book called No Helmets Required about the 1953 All Stars who toured Australia and New Zealand, wearing American football pants and pads in matches.

The book outlines some poor decisions by administrators at a time when real inroads could have been made. Since then there have been a cavalcade of characters – Mike Meyer, John Morgan, David Niu, Steve Johnson – who have led various assaults on the Land of The Free, with an Origin in LA and a Warrington-Wigan punch-up in Milwaukee acting as heavy artillery.

In recent times the game seems to have found its level – an amateur league divided into conferences. Rugby union, meanwhile, is learning to stage big events at legendary venues without really threatening the big three of football, baseball and basketball the way soccer is beginning to.

Then came the announcement last week that an Australian sports promoter, Jason Moore, wants to stage the 2021 World Cup in NFL and Major League Soccer stadia, as a business play to carry it off and has submitted it to the Rugby League International Federation.

Advertisement
Moore is no mug. He's the one who brought Major League Baseball to the Sydney Cricket Ground.

I spoke to Moore from New York on Wednesday and he outlined his plans to start a professional domestic league which will recruit players from Australasia and Europe just two years from now. He wants to start with eight teams and move up to 16. He says he'll do it whether or not he gets the World Cup.

Rugby league fans, we've heard this all before, haven't we?

But because the rugby union World Cups are already allocated into the next decade, there does – objectively – seem a great opportunity here; the opportunity to have thousands of Americans think of league, not union when they hear the word 'rugby'.

That's the pot of gold, the holy grail, for all of those pioneers going back to Mike Dimitro and the '53 All Stars.

Of course the one factor which hoses down the excitement is this: rugby league needs to make a profit from the World Cup to fund development for the following four years. It can't afford an 'expo'-style tournament, showcasing the game to curious strangers.

Moore says his tournament will make more than next year's or 2013 or 2008. These are easy things to say … but what if there are guarantees in the bid document. What could be the possible impediment to the 2021 World Cup being played in Australia.

How about the fact that England will have a profound influence on who is granted the tournament, and that England is the only other bidder.

Nigel Wood is chairman of the RLIF and chief executive of Britain's RFL. While not for a moment suggesting he does not have the game's best interests at heart, can you seriously see him voting against his own bid, when it has secured millions of pounds in government backing?

Nigel and other UK delegates to the RLIF board are clearly conflicted here. They should abstain from voting on the venue of the 2021 World Cup. Do they want to be remembered in some 2060 equivalent of No Helmets Required as the men who blew the game's next big chance?

The RLIF is not FIFA. It has never been shown to be corrupt. But rugby league is a small sport and money, for many countries, is hard to come by.

The RLIF must be subject to intense scrutiny between now and decision time. It must explain its call publicly. The process must be completely transparent. If the US can deliver a reasonable profit, there will have to be very compelling reasons indeed to shun it.

If self-interest is in rugby league's DNA, as many believe to be the case, the sport must force itself to defy its very nature with this call – and end a cycle that has kept it one of the world's great sporting secrets for almost a century and a quarter.

jim_57

Staff member
That second paragraph makes absolutely no sense.. but apart from that quite an interesting read. I guess the ball is in Moore's court to provide proof of guaranteed sponsorship, stadium & profit. If he can I'm all for it, big if though.

Also professional comp in 2 years sounds really ambitious, I wonder how long he's had this "plan" and how much planning has actually gone in to it.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I'm surprised the French havnt put in a bid. They are realistically the fourth biggest rugby league nation in terms of dollars. I think it would be massive for the game there.

When was the last time they made a bid for it on their own?

Given the crowds in the last World Cup, I would've liked to see them go for it. Unless when or if England are successful in 2021 they would agree to play games in their own country.

jim_57

Staff member
When was the last time they made a bid for it on their own?

Given the crowds in the last World Cup, I would've liked to see them go for it. Unless when or if England are successful in 2021 they would agree to play games in their own country.

Not sure France are in a position to go it alone, maybe it's a goal for the new board to work towards. England look to be goung it alone in 2021 with their bid which is disappointing if France, Wales, Scotland & Ireland all miss out.

IMO we should be doing everything we can to build towards a WC in France in 2033 to celebrate 100 years. Maybe hosting a Confed Cup there in 2023? Hopefully by then France will have 2/3 in SL and be competitive with the big 3.

adamkungl

Immortal
England's a big enough place to go it alone. Cracking London should be seen as a major goal. As i've said earlier, this 3 country model we've jumped on lately seems a bit stretched to me.

1 pool and a couple of finals in an alternate country is my preferred model.

jim_57

Staff member
England's a big enough place to go it alone. Cracking London should be seen as a major goal. As i've said earlier, this 3 country model we've jumped on lately seems a bit stretched to me.

1 pool and a couple of finals in an alternate country is my preferred model.

That sounds good in theory, but I don't think we're in a strong enough position to be denying home games to France in an English based World Cup.

I do like the idea of keeping world cups from being spread too thin though and having the Confed Cup & 9's to spread the game to new markets.

adamkungl

Immortal
English delegates will abstain from assessing and deciding upon their own country's bid for the 2021 World Cup. Following last week's Discord column regarding the United States' bid to host the tournament, RLIF chairman Nigel Wood texted saying: "All RLIF directors whose countries have lodged bids are excluded from evaluating or participating in making the decision." Jason Moore, the man behind the bid, therefore needs to lobby representatives of New Zealand, Samoa, France, Australia and the Cook Islands to get the nod. A social media campaign in favour of the US, using the hashtag #theresnogoingback has been launched.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...arly-against-west-tigers-20160814-gqs3vy.html