What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA "what"

roughyedspud

Coach
i was worried about this last year when the USARL absorbed the AMNRL and it appears david niu has run off with the tomahawk name..

the USARL are asking for suggestions on their facebook page...so what should the new nickname be??

pioneers seems to be leading, personally i think it should be animal based,easier to market,but they can't be eagles cos the union team have that...

so?? cougars?? bob cats?? gators?? bears??

gyallop

Juniors
On FB I thought Tomahawks dominated.

I heard David Niu was seen introducing Prince Andrew to Virgina Roberts as well.

Clearly USARL dont want to go with the Tomahawk name which is their call. USA was the Patriots in the past so they have always been the Tomahawks.

I think the options on the vote are stars & stripes mustangs and generals. It seems people commenting on FB think that is how to vote as its not clear that the link is to the survey.

roughyedspud

Coach
yep i didn't realise it already had 3 options

stars & stripes....nah

generals.....maybe

mustangs....best of the 3 but not better than hawks imo...

spinnerhowland

Juniors
I am intrigued by the attachment to animals? I like the Stars and Stripes as it is very unique to the USA. Other countries have generals, mustangs are wild horses, yet Star and Stripes is a perfect attachment to the USA Flag, Anthem, and overall vision of patriotic american images. There is only one country thought of when you think "Stars and Stripes". I also think there are limitless opportunity in merch and designs. And in typical USA fashion I would expect their name to be unique.
Just wondering why so many have an attachment to an Animal name?

spinnerhowland

Juniors
The USA also invented all the Cool and Unique name as well. Think of all the Cool names in pro-american sports teams. The range is very wide across many of them. And from a marketing POV, Stars and Stripes is limitless when you put it with the Flag, Anthem, pretty much anything american. I am surprised at the attachment to animals rather than patriotism I guess

roughyedspud

Coach
the stars and stripes will already be associated with the team,as it is with every american national team...do you need a double dose of flag waving patriotism??..

i mean...say you pick mustangs,when you play canada in a test match and a guy on a horse (mustang) leads the team out he'll be carrying the stars and stripes anyway won't he.....or a "general" leads the team out,he'll be waving the stars & stripes...

like i said the stars & stripes is a given,you get a free pass at another nickname.

gyallop

Juniors
Stars and Stripes just doesnt reach out and grab you and your going to need the media to run with something that makes people identify that they are talking about the USA rugby league team like the Tomahawks here following the RLWC. If you look at cool USA names and patriotism the old name of Patriots is strong and maybe Glory after the flag??? You have the Pioneers for the emerging squad did you look at Cowboys so there is a synergy with the brands?

spinnerhowland

Juniors
the stars and stripes will already be associated with the team,as it is with every american national team...do you need a double dose of flag waving patriotism??..

i mean...say you pick mustangs,when you play canada in a test match and a guy on a horse (mustang) leads the team out he'll be carrying the stars and stripes anyway won't he.....or a "general" leads the team out,he'll be waving the stars & stripes...

like i said the stars & stripes is a given,you get a free pass at another nickname.

It is interesting to see the international perspective on the name of a sports team from the USA. And as for the "Flag Waving Patriotism"....is there ever a time when the USA doesn't want a double does of that? The Patriots name was top of the list, but the guy from the American Rugby League Patriots has kept his TM and branding on it active for all these years. We checked.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Stars and Stripes is by far the best name on that list. Mustang is a car and Generals reminds me of the Washington Generals, who are famous for being losers.

No idea why you think an animal would be relevant at all here Spud.

Last edited:

gyallop

Juniors
Have you asked the guy with the name to give it up for the greater good or is he one of those blokes who holds on thinking he can squeeze out an earn?

EH just how did Britain start using a lion as sporting team symbol? Always intrigued me.

roughyedspud

Coach
Stars and Stripes is by far the best name on that list. Mustang is a car and Generals reminds me of the Washington Generals, who are famous for being losers.

No idea why you think an animal would be relevant at all here Spud.

a mustang is a horse lol

and why would animal be relevent? erm...kangaroos,kiwis,lions,wolverines,wolfhounds etc..maybe that's why its relevent maybe?

roughyedspud

Coach
Have you asked the guy with the name to give it up for the greater good or is he one of those blokes who holds on thinking he can squeeze out an earn?

EH just how did Britain start using a lion as sporting team symbol? Always intrigued me.

lions are on the royal coat of arms..probably stems from that?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Three lions is the royal coat of arms. It's on the back of pound coins and is the badge for the national football and cricket teams, I guess other sports just followed on from that.

Evil Homer

Staff member
a mustang is a horse lol

and why would animal be relevent? erm...kangaroos,kiwis,lions,wolverines,wolfhounds etc..maybe that's why its relevent maybe?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...&sa=X&ei=morIVNTNHcL-Ut2lgIAN&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ

No horses to be found.

And who cares what other counties have? There's no animal relevant for the USA apart from Eagle which is already taken, and animal nicknames are lame anyway, this isn't a Championship One team. Stars and Stripes is a great name for the USA national team.

gyallop

Juniors
except for this one and some others

images

Latest posts