What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

usarl - amnrl split

nqcowboy87

Bench
i could see this being every bit as devastating to the games progress as superleague was here. or will the amnrl or usarl fold and everything will be good again

roopy

Referee
I don't agree.
America is a very big place that will support dozens of leagues and hundreds of teams eventually.
I'll be surprized if we don't see new comps forming nearly every year from now on.

Both leagues will prosper.

juro

Bench
I could see both leagues prospering, if they don't try to kill each other. Having teams in both competitions in the one city (eg New York) could dilute the talent available.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I could see both leagues prospering, if they don't try to kill each other. Having teams in both competitions in the one city (eg New York) could dilute the talent available.
The New York metro area has a slightly smaller population than the whole of Australia. I think they'll be ok.

clarency

Juniors
From what I've heard Dave Nui (head of the AMNRL) has said the introduction of the new league may be the best thing for rugby league in the US.

It somewhat appears the USARL will become the highest division of rugby league in the US while AMNRL will act as a development league.

deal.with.it

Juniors
From what I've heard Dave Nui (head of the AMNRL) has said the introduction of the new league may be the best thing for rugby league in the US.

It somewhat appears the USARL will become the highest division of rugby league in the US while AMNRL will act as a development league.

I have not heard him say that at all. Where has he been quoted saying this?
In theory yes, it would be good for AMNRL to support new teams and the USARL to be the highest level, but realistically, the bulls, knights and wildcats are still playing the AMNRL, and are all very good teams and quite professional.

Jankuloski

Juniors
And why should we believe someone who routinely doesn't guess what happens with league in the US?

deluded pom?

Coach

Who did you hear it from and why would the AMNRL happily become the development league?

RedVee

First Grade

Thats an unusual statement, do you have a source you can post so we can read it in context?

druzik

Juniors

Where the hell did you hear that?

I am keeping a pulse on this and the AMNRL is saying squat.... Niu has had a few rants on twitter threatening legal action and thats about it.

clarency

Juniors
Interesting... I heard said quote in another thread. I'll have a look now.

dp - not officially... but initial impressions tell me the USARL will be run more efficiently than the AMNRL. I'll wait to be proved wrong on that one. The collective switch from many of the teams tells me that perhaps they have more confidence in the USARL structure but I suppose there could be alternatives.

Regardless of what happens there does need to be two divisions of league to allow consistent development of semi-pro players along with the introduction of new amateurs. It's difficult to introduce new players within a league where most players are far more skilled than they are.

clarency

Juniors
blah... I'm not going to be bothered... there's too many threads to comb through. It doesn't matter anyway. It appears firm that Nui is not happy.

I'm curious... On what grounds is he threatening legal action?

Niu is in Vegas developing pro league plans and seems serious about getting it going next year. Any of the usarl or amnrl teams could be involved obviously teams like Jacksonville, Philadelphia, New York will be part of it.

joshreading

Staff member
I, like everyone else wishes that a Pro Comp would start but unfortunately we have heard it before. I am truly an optimist (seriously) but a Pro Comp is going to take more than the personnel that are on the ground at present. If the amateur comp continues to have serious issues what chance is there of much else at present.

tcc_dc

Juniors
Some of the guys on the USARL teams were told not to come to tryouts....so this is just further proof for the whole league...