Use your Illusion VII: This NAIDOC Week remember: In the 60's, we were never as bad as South Africa

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by Pantherjim., Jul 3, 2017.

1. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

Or American Southern States during the 60's for that matter...

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ip-in-the-pool-that-changed-a-segregated-town

2. B-dos

B-dos Referee

we should never forget how evil we all were and its only fair that we continue to pay for it. like these kids have paid:
    https://www.theguardian.com/austral...at-traumatised-children-criticised-by-parents

this sort of traumatic experience is nothing compared to aboriginal kids felt generations ago so its just something white kids these days need to deal with as a bit of pay back

3. Mong

Mong Immortal

Oh dear..

That didn't take long..

Mr Spock! and Pantherjim. like this.
  4. Smack

Smack Juniors

What the f**k.. why would they put kids through this bullshit. What the f**k is wrong with these people?

5. Smack

Smack Juniors

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Immortal

Now now Dos

As an awful racist racist you know that you shouldn't be commenting on indigenous issues

It triggers the attention whore too much

B-dos likes this.
  7. Mong

Mong Immortal

Don't cry Jimmy.. Find yourself a safe space champ.

Mr Spock!, Lynoman and Pantherjim. like this.
  8. B-dos

B-dos Referee

whitey need to be punished obviously

especially the kids of the kids of the kids of the kids who may have been around at the time

unless these white children feel ashamed and partly responsible for the suffering of aboriginals, the teachers probably havent done their job

Smack and Jimbo like this.
  9. Smack

Smack Juniors

Hopefully they get punished. Teachers need to stick to the f**king curriculum.

10. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

No.

Do I need to be Aboriginal to be deeply concerned about the incident outlined in the article which took place during the attempt to desegragate a public swimming pool in Moree?

Do I need to be Aboriginal to be deeply concerned that these ugly events in history were never taught to us in school?

11. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

Which is a hilarious response considering we weren't even taught anything in school about European attrocities inflicted on the Aboriginal population, let alone the stolen generation, and I finished school a little over 20 years ago.

But I guess you're happy with kids being taught some hogwash about how European colonisation of Australia was all warm and fuzzy?

12. DiegoNT

DiegoNT First Grade

It's weird

The same kind of people who deny the stolen generation, try to say it wasn't so bad, say that it was actually beneficial to the kids that got taken etc are the ones screaming loudest about how disgusted they are, how it is horrible to put kids through this even though it was just a mock lesson for just 1 day.

Aus_Dog and Pantherjim. like this.
  13. B-dos

B-dos Referee

well you must be pleased that white kids are now made to feel like shit for things that happened generations ago ?

a balanced education is fine by me jim. sure, tell th kids that white man won and we have them to thank for the wonderful country we all enjoy today... but i dont think thats how you would like the story to go?

14. B-dos

B-dos Referee

it is horrible, in fact its f**king disgraceful

its weird how some people think traumatising white kids today is a good way to make up for stuff that happened generations ago

15. DiegoNT

DiegoNT First Grade

So you agree what happened to the stolen generation was horrible?

Pantherjim. likes this.
  16. B-dos

B-dos Referee

where did i say that?

regardless of the merits of the accusations surrounding the stolen generation, this discussion is about the white kids today that are being punished for the actions of people generations ago

i note with amusement and disgust you think its ok though, its just a mock lesson for one day after all. the while kids should just learn to deal with it

17. DiegoNT

DiegoNT First Grade

A few things to dissect in your post.

So you don't agree with what these kids went through in a mock situation was actually horrible for kids to go through in a real life situation.

You say white kids as if these schools are racially discriminatory. I'd assume that like any class room in australia, these kids would be from a racially diverse background. The thing they have in common is the fact they are all australian kids and they are being taught i big part of australian history.

And finally, where does it say i think this lesson is ok. I don't think the lesson is ok. I think it trivialises what people like my grandmother went through. Saying this lesson will give you a sense on what they went through is like me saying camping at a concentration camp gives me a feel for what happened during the holocaust.
    I also think it's unfair to put kids through that.

I just think it's hypocritical for the andy bolts of the world to be discusted at the treatment the kids went through while in the same breathe trying to say the stolen generation was no big deal. If the stolen generation was a big nothing burger like Andy B tries to say then how can he have a problem with kids going through a lesson of it for one school day.

18. B-dos

B-dos Referee

well if one things the stolen generation was a 'big nothing burger' then it seems to follow that traumatising kids today in an effort to make them feel ashamed for what was actually a big nothing burger is problematic

you obviously agree with me that putting kids through such an ordeal is disgraceful so thats good to know

19. DiegoNT

DiegoNT First Grade

So doing it in real life and not just in mock class setting is disgraceful to right?

20. B-dos

B-dos Referee

yes diego

if kids from loving homes who were looked after and had basically all their needs met were told they would be taken from their homes, id agree it would be horrible