Use your Illusion VII: This NAIDOC Week remember: In the 60's, we were never as bad as South Africa

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by Pantherjim., Jul 3, 2017.

1. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

Most people wouldn't know that Aborigines were massacred (read - dispersed) around here.

1849. Perhaps more than 100 killed in the Upper Burnett. The murder of the Pegg brothers, two adolescent employees at Foster and Blaxland Gin Gin station in June, was avenged in a large-scale punitive expedition with 'over 50 station-hands and squatters' catching up with 'more than a 100 myals' camped at the mouth of Burnett River allegedly on the ground of the later 'Cedar' sugar plantation or Gibson's Cedars Estate. No numbers were made but the 'affray' was later described as 'one of the bloodiest in Queensland frontier history'

1850. Hundreds allegedly killed near Paddy Island in the Burnett River. A large-scale punitive expedition was formed following the alleged murder of Gregory Blaxland junior at Gin Gin station in August of that year - by settlers from Walla, Tenningering, Yenda, Wetheron, Monduran, Kolonne, Eureka, Ideraway, Baramba, Boonara and Boubyjan stations. Both William Henry Walsh and Sir Maurice Charles O'Connell is known to have participated in this expedition and Walsh later revealed some details during a parliamentary debate in Queensland some two decades later. They caught up with a large party of Aborigines near Paddy's Island at the mouth of the Burnett River and a major skirmish took place resulting in "hundreds" of Aborigines being shot down'. The number 200 has been mentioned.

early 1860s. "Water view", North Bundaberg, at least 15 to 20 Aborigines killed in a dispersal by Native Police. This event, known as "Bierra bong" (meaning many or plenty death) in the local Aboriginal language, later gave name to Bundaberg's main street "Bourbong street". The co-founder and proprietor of Colanne Station (Kolan) Nicholas Edward Nelson Tooth (1843–1913) in 1895 wrote about finding of numerous remains from Native Police dispersal "Two or three of us were one day looking for ebony wood (for stockwhip handles) when we suddenly came on a heap of human bones, among which were 15 or 20 skulls ... At first we thought it was an old burying place of the blacks, but I afterwards learnt from a black that it was the spot where the native police had come upon a large camp of blacks and dispersed them."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_of_Indigenous_Australians

Colonial Frontier Massacres in Eastern Australia 1788-1872

https://c21ch.newcastle.edu.au/colonialmassacres/map.php

Pantherjim. likes this.
  2. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

I often wonder who the 9% who voted against indigenous people being counted in the census. Like who would vote against that?

Then I read Jimbo and Bdos and I have my answer.

Tommy Smith and Pantherjim. like this.
  3. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

Yes we have had this discussion before

It was 150 years ago and your third example was native on native

4. 2_Smoking_Guns

2_Smoking_Guns First Grade

I don't loathe myself idiot... I loathe people like you who think the issues of today are not linked to the horrid treatments in the past.... and I loathe f**kwits like dos who think they should be grateful for being forced to adopt our "superior" culture despite surviving over 50,000 years with their own..... I loathe dickheads who think Leak's cartoons could possibly contribute to solutions.... as I see it the only way towards any possibility of solving the major issues of today is accepting the truth of the past.... for a start Aboriginal culture is built on storytelling and the stories are passed down through the generations... they know the truth... their history cannot be rewritten by the victors..... they know the lies being told today.....

it is a fact that they were treated as no other race was by colonialism.... simply because they had no concept of land ownership.... they most definitely had strict borders and independent nations and they had their own forms of commerce but they had no need of buildings and fences and all the other things that most other cultures had developed.... it did not justify almost 200 years of being pushed off traditional lands they had occupied for 50,000 years..... of being classified as non-citizens not even counted in the census.... being used as slaves under the guise of welfare.... of having children torn from families.....

OVP likes this.
  5. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

Yes, time heals all wounds.

Pretend it never happened.....

Mr Spock! likes this.
  6. 2_Smoking_Guns

yeah... and 150 years to a culture 50,000 years old that relies entirely on verbal history is but a day in a year..... as opposed to our own where we count the years from zero to 2000+ is like a day in a fortnight and by our own admission history has been rewritten time and again by the strongest of the times.....

we need to accept that their entire culture is different to ours and will require a far different approach to resolve the issues arising from being forced to adapt to a completely alien set of rules.... 200+ years may seem like a long time but for most of those 200+ years they were treated as vermin......

Pantherjim. likes this.
  7. Surely

Do the descendants of the natives who killed the natives 150 years ago have to apologise too ?

8. 2_Smoking_Guns

do you blame the commanders or the foot soldiers when atrocious war crimes are committed?

oh and they were probably having a bad day..... who knows what they have had to go through or have seen.....

nice diversionary tactic though....

Pantherjim. and Mr Spock! like this.
  9. Surely

The world was a vastly different place 150 years ago, applying 2017 standards sure makes it look bad.

10. Surely

17 years before this was the end of the inquisition, good Catholic Jim had he have lived in those times would have been on board with his churches teachings.

You can see how applying modern standard to past history is pointless.

11. Jimbo

Jimbo Immortal

#virtuesignal

B-dos likes this.
  12. sportive cupid

sportive cupid Referee

Maybe it isnt so much as apologising but recognising .Recognising hiw colinisation impacted on the development of indigenous culture in their own land .
    Theres alot of talk here ,and in other threads about the topic, about how indigenous culture is crude and not as advanced etc that indigenous people are lazy and exploitative .But most of that comes from looking at the culture as it was interpreted by white people when they arrived (the crude part) and indigenous people within a culture which is fundementality very different from theirs . (The lazy bit)

To me the least useful responses are the band -aid superficial ones which see saying sorry as the solution .Patronising people is not the answer .
    Concilliation while conceding that our culture isnt superior but just different would probably work better.

But that might require a conceding of some of our power.

13. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

It's not pointless.

It helps us understand the world we live in and where we came from.

We seem to be applying a modern standard to the holocaust in that 90 year olds are still being charged with war crimes.

Pantherjim. likes this.
  14. Tommy Smith

Tommy Smith Coach

Wow. A brilliant post from 2SG that I completely agree with!

Does this mean I'm not xenophobic? Or merely less xenophobic? :D

15. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

The Native police Force was taking orders from the government, represented by white officers, and collaborating with white settlers. It was part of the British policy of Divide and Rule.

Native Police detachments - mounted Aboriginal troopers led by white officers - would surround Aboriginal camps and fire into them at dawn, killing men, women and children. The bodies were often burned to destroy the evidence.

Pantherjim. likes this.
  16. B-dos

B-dos Referee

haha

the most hilarious part about this post is that you probably dont even realise how much it (and you) typifies all that is wrong with the left these days

oh and nice to see serial liker jim thinks you are spot on lol

17. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

Maybe the part of Spock's post which I thought was spot on was the part where he expressed amazement that 9% of the population actually voted against Indigenous people being counted in a census?

Dickhead.

18. B-dos

B-dos Referee

haha. you liked it dickhead. not me

you tend to like posts pretty frequently, maybe posting your thoughts would help avoid you looking like a goose again

cheers

19. 2_Smoking_Guns

and quite obviously you are completely ignorant of the fact that your response typifies what is loathsome about you and those with similar views.... I have absolutely no comprehension as to what would justify voting against the original inhabitants of this land being counted as part of the human population....

20. B-dos

B-dos Referee

neither do i boners

sorry if that ruins yours and spocks virtue signaling

if ive ever suggested aboriginal people should not be included on the census id be happy for you to show me where?