What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V Panthers

getsmarty

Immortal
Graham is (was?) very much s short-term solution for Millward stuffing up Packer's departure.

But, of course, he's doing a 'fantastic' job with the retention of players.

Packer is being paid massive overs...you cannot be serious...W
Can't argue with any of this. The Broncos have this formula down pat. Admittedly, it was forced on them by having so many players picked for SOO, but in any case they worked it out. Throw in a junior for a few games, let them get a feel for what they need to do to be first grader, both on match day and during training. Once they start to tire and they will, their bodies aren't used to it yet, spell them back in reggies. Rinse and repeat. The Broncos produce new first graders all the time and its not just because they have a large nursery to choose from. The Eels and Panthers have also had a large nursery for years and have produced less quality players over the last 30 years than the Broncos.

The Panthers broke loads of juniors by not doing the spell back down again. Rookies need time to adapt physically especially if they are a forward. Now with Gus they do it at all levels. U16 to U18's a few games and back down. U18's to u20's a few games and back down and so on. By the time they get to first grade they are ready for a step up because they have experienced it before.

You can't leave a player in reserve grade and hope one day a magic sign will appear saying "this player is ready", you have to invest in them and see if they can grow. They need somebody to give them a chance.

The current crop of Broncos Juniors coming through are the best they have had in decades...Scouts from other clubs already circling....Watch this space...

FlameThrower

Bench
Ok we lost , we were flat and the game has been sliced and diced. Forum in meltdown with some guys who had not posted in ages all jumping over the keyboard to throw knives at anyone.
Instead how about holding fire, let’s see what comes from the bye, regroup and take on next game. No need to panic yet ..still a long way to go.

OldPanther

Coach
Honestly your team looks like it's suffering from overtraining. For example Panthers had a light week before the Tigers game last week and we looked fresh. Dragons on the other hand look like they are wearing down physically. The bye will help and the club will have to be more careful managing the players.

By overtraining I mean this:

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...FjABegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw2BcaDKRCEs4dUQt2-by54I

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Packer is being paid massive overs...you cannot be serious...W

The current crop of Broncos Juniors coming through are the best they have had in decades...Scouts from other clubs already circling....Watch this space...

One could forward an argument that considering Graham is playing on tired legs, he, too, is also being overpaid.

Frank Facer

First Grade
So?
If they are paying half as reported would you have bothered to sign him for double whatever we currently pay?
He probably wouldn't be worth double whatever we are paying him, but if we didn't have Graham, then we would have a weaker set of props. He was probably the best prop that we could snare for this season. From the reports I've read, I do think Graham offers more than what we see him contribute on the field. I think he provides leadership, which we lack. I think he could be helping our younger forwards develop. I think he is having a good influence on the team. Some think that Graham may be playing injured, if that is the case, then he should have some time off and get fully fit again. I don't know exactly what we are paying him, but I do recall that he was going to be on at least 700K this year if he stayed at Canterbury. That would be too much to be paying Graham.

I have been saying all year that we need to sign at least one more quality prop. I have mentioned Pangai, Taupau, Haas and Klemmer all as possible targets. I would be fine offering Pangai, Taupau, Haas (for 2020 and onwards) 700K a season. I would probably be fine with Klemmer being on 700K too.

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor offers no excuses as Penrith Panthers down St George Illawarra Dragons
  • Dragon's Den
    r0_0_3336_2312_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Stopped: Dragons utility Kurt Mann is tackled by Penrith's James Fisher-Harris during St George Illawarra's 26-point defeat. Picture: AAP Images

• St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor offered no excuses as the Dragons were beaten 28-2 by Penrith on Saturday night.

In a match that was built up as a final chance for a number of St George Illawarra stars to push their claims for State of Origin selection, the Dragons were outclassed by the in-form Panthers at Panthers Stadium.

It was young Penrith halfback Nathan Cleary who did his own chances of wearing a Sky Blue jersey no harm. Cleary scored the opening try to give the Panthers a 6-0 half-time lead.

The Dragons reduced the deficit to 6-2 seven minutes into the second half with a Gareth Widdop penalty goal.

But Christian Crichton extended Penrith’s lead with a try shortly after, before four-pointers to Viliame Kikau and Reagan Campbell-Gillard sealed the result for the hosts.

McGregor said Penrith were simply too good for his team on the night.

“They were much more dominant. Their line speed was good. They were more physical than we were,” he said.

“Not surprised [by how much more physical they were]. Disappointed.

“That’s footy. It’s a journey over 25 weeks. We would have liked to have played better going into a bye. No doubt, we knew how important this game was. We prepared like that, we just didn’t go out and play as well as we should.

“Their enthusiasm, they’re physical, they’re fit, they’re strong. They’re hungry. We just didn’t maintain the standards we’ve set for the first 11 weeks. We had holes in our kick chase where we don’t have holes in our kick chase. Our marker play wasn’t good enough to stop their dummy half runs.”

McGregor said after the game he was unsure how many of his players might be chosen for NSW or Queensland for State of Origin I.

While Tyson Frizell and Ben Hunt are considered likely to play for the Blues and Maroons respectively, Jack de Belin, Tariq Sims, Euan Aitken, Paul Vaughan and Cameron McInnes were all believed to be in the mix.

The Dragons also had a number of injury scares. Hunt left the field five minutes into the second half. The halfback hobbled through the first half on a corked right thigh and emerged for the second half with the injury heavily strapped. He tried to play on but was replaced by Kurt Mann.

Sims also returned after half-time with strapping identical to Hunt’s and bravely soldiered on before eventually succumbing in the 62nd minute.

De Belin also sent a scare through the Dragons and NSW camps when he left the field with seven minutes to play after copping a knock on his injured left hip. He was replaced by Sims who limped out of the clash but McGregor said none of the injuries were serious.

• https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5430964/no-excuses-as-panthers-down-red-v/?cs=3833

Old Timer

Coach
He probably wouldn't be worth double whatever we are paying him, but if we didn't have Graham, then we would have a weaker set of props. He was probably the best prop that we could snare for this season. From the reports I've read, I do think Graham offers more than what we see him contribute on the field. I think he provides leadership, which we lack. I think he could be helping our younger forwards develop. I think he is having a good influence on the team. Some think that Graham may be playing injured, if that is the case, then he should have some time off and get fully fit again. I don't know exactly what we are paying him, but I do recall that he was going to be on at least 700K this year if he stayed at Canterbury. That would be too much to be paying Graham.

I have been saying all year that we need to sign at least one more quality prop. I have mentioned Pangai, Taupau, Haas and Klemmer all as possible targets. I would be fine offering Pangai, Taupau, Haas (for 2020 and onwards) 700K a season. I would probably be fine with Klemmer being on 700K too.
The big question is what does he cost us in year 2 & 3?
If he isn't worth double in year 1 and he has a back ended contract then he might be well over the odds after the Dogs don't have to pay anything.

Frank Facer

First Grade
The big question is what does he cost us in year 2 & 3?
If he isn't worth double in year 1 and he has a back ended contract then he might be well over the odds after the Dogs don't have to pay anything.
No, say if we are paying him 350 to 400K this year, I don't think that we will be paying anything near 700K for year 2 and 3. I am thinking 450 to 500K, but I'm not 100% sure about it

Bench
So Mary says there are no excuses. Playing two of our gun players carrying injuries is not an excuse it is a failure of the club to play Hunt and JDB. I would also question whether he is carrying an injury. How many times did he run the ball. 5?
I am begging to doubt the effectiveness of our medical staff after this game

Crush

Coach
Panthers have won 1 of the last 5 and have been hammered!!! tonight.
What happened to the amazing depth that Panthers had?
Anyone?

ouryears

Bench
Panthers have won 1 of the last 5 and have been hammered!!! tonight.
Anyone?
Ha ha, what was the score when they smashed us?
Seems you jump on any band wagon, reading your posts slamming Bennett in the past, now jump ship and slam the panthers.

I guess Bennett has shut you up, you got to pick on someone.

Storm put 50 on us, tigers embarrassed us, if I were you I would still be on my knees praying the cowboys will stop once they run in 30 vs us

SBD82

Coach
Seems you jump on any band wagon, reading your posts slamming Bennett in the past, now jump ship and slam the panthers.

Storm put 50 on us, tigers embarrassed us, if I were you I would still be on my knees praying the cowboys will stop once they run in 30 vs us
Hahahahahahahahaha

This merkin.

ouryears

Bench
Hahahahahahahahaha

This merkin.
Losers try to justify our shit performances by pointing the finger at other teams.
Awwww, but look at that team, or this team......desperately trying to move the focus onto other teams by talking them down when they lose.

You don’t see winners doing what you do, only losers.
Winners focus on their game, not others.

Stop pissing in others pockets and deflecting the blame for our crap performances recently, or you forgotten the tigers score, ya merkin.

Belta

Juniors
Crush said:
“Panthers have won 1 of the last 5 and have been hammered!!! tonight.
Anyone?”

I think it’s a further example Shows of how tough competition it is this year. Seems no team is capable of breaking away and teams are finding it difficult to perform at optimum level every single week. Im sure we are not alone in sliding up and down

Alec's-saints

Juniors

dumb prick. we had all our origin players out. if we got smashed by 30 with our origin players in id be mad.

Latest posts