What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vaughan charged by MRC

getsmarty

Immortal
vaughanp-180628_gt_87.jpg

JUDICIARY

Vaughan charged by MRC
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 29 Jun 2018, 11:04 AM

St George Illawarra front-rower Paul Vaughan has been charged with a grade one tripping charge following Thursday night's slender win over the Parramatta Eels.

Vaughan caught Eels forward David Gower with his leg just after half-time in the Dragons' eventual two-point win.

The Origin III-bound Vaughan won't miss any football but will cop an $1100 fine with an early guilty plea.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/29/vaughan-charged-by-mrc/

JDHD

Juniors
Wasn't much in it really when you look at the replay.

Yeah but remember when tripping was only just below “pulled out a gun and shot a motherf**ker gangland style” on the charge sheet? Hell, the only reason you weren’t sent off immediately was because you were unconscious from the punch that one of the opposition players had nailed you with. Josh Reynolds single handedly made tripping acceptable.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
The poor beggar was that tired that he simply didn't have the energy to pull his foot back - as he intended to do .

This!
It’s a natural reaction when you see something falling and you know you can’t get your hands there, is to throw a leg or something out to catch it.

I have the same problem around my bar!
Safety is of the upmost importance.
I don’t want to spill a drop!!!!!

Yeah but remember when tripping was only just below “pulled out a gun and shot a motherf**ker gangland style” on the charge sheet? Hell, the only reason you weren’t sent off immediately was because you were unconscious from the punch that one of the opposition players had nailed you with. Josh Reynolds single handedly made tripping acceptable.

Yeah I remember the days when tripping was a automatic send off.

But in Vaughans defence I think he tried to change direction and his leg came up, not much in it, pay the fine, move on.

I'm more worried about Hunts defensive "technique", I've seen him try the old Cumberland Throw a few times this year, miss timed it's a trip, Ray Price had it down, he would slap the bloke with his hand a split second before his leg sent the guy flying.

Gareth67

First Grade

But in Vaughans defence I think he tried to change direction and his leg came up, not much in it, pay the fine, move on.

I'm more worried about Hunts defensive "technique", I've seen him try the old Cumberland Throw a few times this year, miss timed it's a trip, Ray Price had it down, he would slap the bloke with his hand a split second before his leg sent the guy flying.

I was watching a replay of some of his recent tackling in SOO and what really stood out for me was that he always goes high . The bloke is not built like a forward , surely he can tackle low , it's not a dying art nowadays - or is it ?

I was watching a replay of some of his recent tackling in SOO and what really stood out for me was that he always goes high . The bloke is not built like a forward , surely he can tackle low , it's not a dying art nowadays - or is it ?

He jumps into tackles, dunno why, sometimes it comes off, sometimes not, you have to admire his determination though, a lot of other halves don't even bother these days.

The old bootlaces tackle is a dying art, I much prefer JDBs style these days of trying to cut the bloke on half.

Mickthedragon

Juniors

Thats what i thought and meant with not much in it. He seemed to get wrong footed and his leg was in the way but not really stuck out to purposely trip ala josh the grub reynolds. A fine is a fair result i think.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Gareth
There is 2 reason why hunt goes high.
1. The play the ball rules encourages you to go high.
As the refs will give longer time to hold the player down.
In other words you control the ruck and get to slow the play down.
2. That is the way they are taught to tackle .
I agree that hunt going around the waste may be a better option.

And before him - Alan Langer.

Tripping is a bad look. That's an automatic send-off in the old school, and for reasons unknown to me it's now tolerated.

I remember when Wes Naigama copped two weeks for an attempted trip back in the 2005 Anzac Day game - didn't even make contact but hung a leg out. I thought he got off lightly and I'm as an avid a dragon fan as anyone.

Since then though I've seen many trips, attempted trips and they hardly rate a mention in commentary, or simply glossed over, and rarely do they go to the judiciary. God knows why.

In today's game Vaughan's effort probably wont warrant suspension but in my mind it still should do.

getsmarty

Immortal
vaughanp-180628_gt_87.jpg

JUDICIARY

Vaughan takes early guilty plea
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 2 Jul 2018, 03:00 PM

St George Illawarra front-rower Paul Vaughan has taken the early guilty plea after being charged with a grade one tripping charge following Thursday night's slender win over the Parramatta Eels.

Vaughan caught Eels forward David Gower with his leg just after half-time in the Dragons' eventual two-point win.

The Origin III-bound Vaughan won't miss any football but will cop an $1100 fine.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/07/02/vaughan-early-guilty-plea/