What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vaughn

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Hello Raiders fans! :slight_smile:

I come in peace.

Am just curious about Paul Vaughn and why you guys let him go. I always thought he was a good player and was curious to know what prompted Sticky to let him go.

Any insight?

betcats

Referee
I was gobsmacked when they dropped him and then let him go, I've always rated him. Poor decision IMO.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
From what I can tell he did something that upset the playing group. It was nothing to do with his ability.

It's a shame though, the guy is a weapon.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
From what I can tell he did something that upset the playing group. It was nothing to do with his ability.

It's a shame though, the guy is a weapon.

Bazal mentioned this in the FFB which is what got me curious as well. As you have said, he is a fantastic player and I really can't believe we managed to get his signature. Must have been something big for Stuart to decide it would require him to move to another club, as Stuart has shown he knows how to build a forward pack and I'd assume Vaughn was in his future plans.

In any case, appreciate the responses. If it makes you feel any better about losing him, we also have McCrone as our starting half :lol:

Walt Flanigan

Referee
McCrone made a career out of Campese's injuries. I can't understand why the Dragons decided to keep it going.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
For the record i dont think this matters much anymore but something must have happened around the finals game against cronulla. It cant have been the crime of the century because stuart played him against penrith when priest got injured.

The reason i think something happened is because he didnt warm up with the team. Which he would have done as 18th man. Lima did. Vaughan was in fact nowhere to be seen.

Maybe he didnt handle getting dropped for priest well.

As for why stuart soured on him. Well he was on good money and he can be a little lazy in defense. I think he is an excellent prop though

nick87

Coach
from what I was told, Vaughan had some escalators in his contract, Stuart knew we were over invested in the front row as it was and he favoured Junior and Boyd over Vaughan, so he was kind of being iced out as it was

Vaughan didn't react well to that, perhaps understandably so, but his actions hurt him further with the coach and key players, from there is became a pretty bad situation for Vaughan and some... issues, haha to say the least some issues occurred around that mysterious 18th man/Jeff Lima in street clothes situation and at that point bridges where burnt and there was no turning back

I love junior and Boyd, and we're going to be just fine with those two anchoring out front row, but no question in my mind that Vaughan at his best is better than both of them and a top 5 front rower in the game

It's sad to see a local Gungahlin kid like him not playing football for our club

Life's Good

Coach
Whatever it was has worked in our favour. He has been brilliant. Joel Thompson & Dugan as well. But what the f*uck happened with McCrone though??

nick87

Coach
haha, look I wish we had Vaughan at the club, but the other 3?

I wouldnt touch McCrone with a 10 foot clown pole, he stinks. I'd take virtually any half in the game over him. Thompson is a solid FG player but certain not in the class of Elliott or Papalii, and Dugan is a good ball running fullback who cant play make at all, Wighton is the better fullback for the game in 2017 and beyond.

3/4 aint bad. Vaughan's a gun though, so you've definitely got that over us.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
McCrone made a career out of Campese's injuries. I can't understand why the Dragons decided to keep it going.
Drew Hutchison was supposed to be first choice halfback this year, but got 'injured' at training..

In comes McCrone..

Co-incidence or conspiracy?

Hawkins

Juniors
Didn't you know we are a feeder club for Kogarah?

To be serious for a minute I would say he is playing well and we don't miss him. I wish him all the best with the Dragons.

soc123_au

Staff member
It's almost a badge of honour that McCrone was at Penrith for a few years & wasn't allowed near first grade. It is somewhat nullified by the fact he was there at all, the Elliott effect I guess.

And yeah Vaughn is a beast.

cb4

First Grade
from what I was told, Vaughan had some escalators in his contract, Stuart knew we were over invested in the front row as it was and he favoured Junior and Boyd over Vaughan, so he was kind of being iced out as it was

Vaughan didn't react well to that, perhaps understandably so, but his actions hurt him further with the coach and key players, from there is became a pretty bad situation for Vaughan and some... issues, haha to say the least some issues occurred around that mysterious 18th man/Jeff Lima in street clothes situation and at that point bridges where burnt and there was no turning back

I love junior and Boyd, and we're going to be just fine with those two anchoring out front row, but no question in my mind that Vaughan at his best is better than both of them and a top 5 front rower in the game

It's sad to see a local Gungahlin kid like him not playing football for our club

Ricky Stuart literally is the gift that keeps on giving. Ridiculous he still has a coaching career.

Latest posts