What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Veteran trainer Ronnie Palmer joins Parramatta Eels after Penrith Panthers exit

GongPanther

Referee
Michael Chammas

Parramatta have continued their recovery mission, adding rugby league's most decorated trainer, 65-year-old fitness guru Ronnie Palmer, to their training staff.

Palmer, who was tapped on the shoulder by the Panthers as part of Anthony Griffin's overhaul, will join the Eels in November as the newest member of the club's high-performance unit.

The veteran trainer, with a body that still puts some professional rugby league players to shame, said he was leaving Penrith with a heavy heart but excited about the prospect of helping Brad Arthur rebuild the Eels.

"It's just a matter of the situation that's prevailed," Palmer said. "I'd still love to be at the Penny Panthers because it's taken five years to develop a really good team and culture and I think it's only going to get better.

"I thoroughly enjoyed my days. Gus [Phil Gould] has done a wonderful job of building the academy and the club is filled with great people with great attitudes. In saying that, I really am excited about joining the Eels.

"I've just sat back and observed how they handled the adversity this year and still answered the question all the time. They never threw in the towel, which is really significant trait in a team. That never-say-die attitude – I love that in a team."

He's the man with endless nicknames and a lifetime of memories after more than two decades working with rugby league players.

There's "the Balmain Chalmer" – in reference to his 35 games for the Tigers in the 1970s.

There was the "40/20", a pun which referred to him having the head of a 40-year-old and the body of a 20-year-old.

And then there's "The Cougar", for his striking resemblance to Barry Dawson from the Cougar rum and bourbon ads.

Palmer spent 24 years at the Sydney Roosters from 1987, before joining John Cartwright at the Gold Coast Titans for two seasons.

The long-standing NSW Origin trainer then returned to Sydney where he has spent the past five seasons working under Ivan Cleary and Griffin at the Panthers.

I was nowhere near ready to give it away and this is has given me another chance and another life.

Despite being less than a month away from celebrating his 66th birthday, Palmer insists he never considered calling it a day when he was told Griffin was bringing his own staff from Queensland for 2017.

"I still think I've still got lots to offer and still love getting up everyday and going to work with elite athletes," Palmer said. "I've been fortunate and privileged to be able to do so for so long. It keeps me vital. I enjoy it. I was nowhere near ready to give it away and this is has given me another chance and another life."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...er-penrith-panthers-exit-20160902-gr7hdg.html

He was also referred to as Ted Mulray by Roy & H.G.

Big Mick

Referee
Best in the business whose teams he trains have missed finals all but twice...one of those is this year since he left the Roosters and his teams have on average used the most players in the comp over that time.

Enjoy.

betcats

Referee
Glad to have someone new in that role. It will be interesting to see how Parra go next year injury wise

age.s

First Grade
I find it hard to believe Palmer had much to do with our injury problems in recent years.

Rhyno

First Grade
Old Ron doesn't seem too happy to be leaving.
At least now he gets to realise his boyhood dream, to run away and join a circus.
He finally gets to see what it's like at a professional club and gets to work under Brad Arthur

ACTPanthers

Bench
He finally gets to see what it's like at a professional club and gets to work under Brad Arthur

Is it actually painful to be this supportive of a club proven to be cheating merkins? I imagine it would get difficult for you. I just think this deflection of suffering could be energy channeled into something worth while.... Anyway, have fun watching us play finals footy trackhead :)