What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Viable option to replace Griffin or should he stay.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
That seems the most reasonable. What are the chances of it happening?

Probably around 20%.

Which is a real shame.

9 weeks is a good chance to see what Ciraldo or Brennan have to offer. They can then apply for the role after the season with all the external candidates.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Also wondering if John Cartright might be a viable option. I know some will flame me for suggesting him, but he's probably better than Griffin. Certainly couldn't be any worse.

Rumour was last week Gould was after him to be an assistant coach to griffin next year.

Unfortunately Griffin is going no where.

OldPanther

Coach
Rumour was last week Gould was after him to be an assistant coach to griffin next year.

Unfortunately Griffin is going no where.

That could work. Cartwright or someone could fill the holes where Griffin is lacking. Let him be good at development and bringing young blokes in while someone fine tunes the team structurally.

TheFrog

Coach
If this discussion is how we manage our grief from what was a pretty devastating loss that's fair enough, but we all know the coach isn't getting the flick anytime soon, don't we?

OldPanther

Coach
If this discussion is how we manage our grief from what was a pretty devastating loss that's fair enough, but we all know the coach isn't getting the flick anytime soon, don't we?

Yeah I doubt he goes. I would like to know if any KPIs have been put in place for Griffin.

GongPanther

Referee
I heard Trent Barrett is going O.K. at Manly...but on the other hand...we could make a bee-line for Jason Taylor.

Sime_11

Juniors
Brennan deserves a crack, we've been promoting players from within, we should do the same with the coaches, Brennan has coached most of the team in some capacity, he would know each players game inside out.

if external - Toovey, there is no one else realistically available

roofromoz

First Grade
I seem to recall that one of Gus' first acts as GM when appointed in 2011 was tell Elliott he was not going to be coach in 2012, and then he quit soon after, with Georgallis coming in as caretaker.

Maybe the board need to appoint another Penrith ex-captain, ex-coach and media heavyweight as GM to then sack Griffin. Step up... umm... Mike Stephenson.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
The Board is even more of an issue.

Gus should be reporting to the Board. Right now it appears the Board reports to Gus.

They have just let him do whatever he wants with the Rugby League operation.

Takes Manly 2 years to rebuild with less money and f**k all juniors. We are meant to be a top 4 side. Someone needs to be held accountable

ashton

Juniors
The Board is even more of an issue.

Gus should be reporting to the Board. Right now it appears the Board reports to Gus.

They have just let him do whatever he wants with the Rugby League operation.
I agree with what you said.........Gould is a major problem.

Gould sacked Cleary with 1 year to go on his contract result payout.
Gould hired Griffin when everyone knows he can't coach.
Gould let Manly have Blacktown as their feeder club, so Manly save half a million per year.
Gould built a 22 million RL academy from borrowed money. Still can't compete with top teams.
Gould hired Cory Payne result huge payout for Payne.
Gould extents Whare contract 5 years.
Gould signs Jamal Idris.
Gould signs Peter Hiku
Gould releases TMM
The list ones on and on and Gould has spent tens of millions for little results.

Last edited:
I agree with what you said.........Gould is a major problem.

Gould sacked Cleary with 1 year to go on his contract result payout.
Gould hired Griffin when everyone knows he can't coach.
Gould let Manly have Blacktown as their feeder club, so Manly save half a million per year.
Gould built a 22 million RL academy from borrowed money. Still can't compete with top teams.
Gould hired Cory Payne result huge payout for Payne.
Gould extents Whare contract 5 years.
Gould signs Jamal Idris.
Gould signs Peter Hiku
Gould releases TMM
The list ones on and on and Gould has spent tens of millions for little results.
Write anything similar to that on the Panthers facebook and you get blocked. Gus is a coward as well as a fraud

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Gould also signed Tamou....

Gould is a master of manipulation. He has successfully brainwashed most of our fans into getting more time.

Jennings and Lewis left at the end of 2012, Coote at the end of 2013 and Grant at the end of 2014.

Yet somehow in 2017 we still are re-building and the squad is too young.

He had a big wave of signings which included Soward, Segeyaro, Whare, Idris, Brown, Taylor, Latimore, Kite, Roberts and Manu. Most of these guys have now moved on and another re-build is under way.

Hiku, Koroisau, Matagi, Grevsmuhl, TMM & Hardaker have moved on from the second wave (2015-16) already.

I understand a couple of the above were for disciplinary reasons too.

Also, I am not saying these guys are necessarily top players (Hiku for example) but Gould did sign them for a reason. Maybe his talent identification isn't as good as we thought...

2017 signings include Browne, Rein, Oldfield and Tamou. Oldfield is already gone. Rein was a huge chance before June 30 if Wallace didn't get injured. Tamou has been a flop and Browne doesn't offer anything more than Matagi and Latimore could have off the bench for us.

The Forum is overlooking the Big Name Teams that were Smacked over the weekend. Two teams were Littered with Representative players.
A few years ago Panthers were heavily criticised for scoring off kicks, fair to say Souths were in the same boat on Sunday.
Who else is available to Coach?

ashton

Juniors
The leagues club is tipping in over 6 million per year for the football club.
All other NRL have feeder clubs such as Wyong wentworthville Newtown etc but Gould let Manly have Blacktown instead of Penrith having Blacktown and we would save about half a million per year.
The cost of running the academy wouldn't be cheap for no return.
Gould is trying to change the way the game is played.....hence why he signed Griffin, yet we still get smashed by the top teams.
We have the biggest jrl in the country and more resources than most clubs yet we are still the worst performing team in the NRL over the last 50 years.
All I want is for my team to win.....and the entire league world knows except Gould it won't happen under Anthony Griffin.

Latest posts