What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Viable option to replace Griffin or should he stay.

betcats

Referee
Goulds time is up imo. He hired Griffin and has stuck by him when he should of punted him when we were 2 from 7. Miss the 8 both should be turfed out.

OldPanther

Coach
Gus has done a lot of good for us. The way he talks it's like he expects it to click at some point. I wish I knew what Griffin was doing to prepare for games.

Fangs

Coach
A few years ago Panthers were heavily criticised for scoring off kicks, fair to say Souths were in the same boat on Sunday.

I do agree. Souffs had plenty of luck and played mostly from their arse.

What was far more disappointing was our response. Game was still there for the taking at half-time.

On Griffin, I don't think he will be replaced this year. No matter what the result.

Port Panther

Juniors
The fact that Gus and Brandy get to the academy to help out and see for themselves what the hell dumbass is doing to our squad that they themselves have assembled surely wont sit on their hands and just let him continue , they cant be that clueless surely more astute than that ?

OldPanther

Coach
The fact that Gus and Brandy get to the academy to help out and see for themselves what the hell dumbass is doing to our squad that they themselves have assembled surely wont sit on their hands and just let him continue , they cant be that clueless surely more astute than that ?

This is close to my opinion. Gus isn't stupid when it comes to football. Griffin will fall out of favour quickly if he's not careful

Pomoz

Bench
Gould also signed Tamou....

Gould is a master of manipulation. He has successfully brainwashed most of our fans into getting more time.

Jennings and Lewis left at the end of 2012, Coote at the end of 2013 and Grant at the end of 2014.

Yet somehow in 2017 we still are re-building and the squad is too young.

He had a big wave of signings which included Soward, Segeyaro, Whare, Idris, Brown, Taylor, Latimore, Kite, Roberts and Manu. Most of these guys have now moved on and another re-build is under way.

Hiku, Koroisau, Matagi, Grevsmuhl, TMM & Hardaker have moved on from the second wave (2015-16) already.

I understand a couple of the above were for disciplinary reasons too.

Also, I am not saying these guys are necessarily top players (Hiku for example) but Gould did sign them for a reason. Maybe his talent identification isn't as good as we thought...

2017 signings include Browne, Rein, Oldfield and Tamou. Oldfield is already gone. Rein was a huge chance before June 30 if Wallace didn't get injured. Tamou has been a flop and Browne doesn't offer anything more than Matagi and Latimore could have off the bench for us.
I'm not sure that those signings indicate anything other than we signed a lot of average players who filled in while we started to build our junior teams up. There are no superstars there and most clubs would have a similar turnover of players. I get your point some were duds but there are only two spine players there, Soward and Segyaro. You don't change a teams fortunes by signing players like that without having a decent spine. We tried for Thurston, we tried for Carney. We got a busted Soward and used an 18 year old halfback to fill in our glaring hole. That is not Gus's fault, the cattle is not available in the marketplace.

I believe Gus has built a fine squad and a decent line of talent stretching back into the junior teams. The roster can compete for many years......

I also believe Gus hired the wrong CEO (his worst decision by far) and a mediocre coach. How he deals with the coach will define his second reign at Penrith. I eagerly await what happens next.....

Panther Pete

Juniors
Surely people even remember the Knights-esque hole we were in 5 - 7 years ago? Do we really want to cut our nose off to spite our face?
I take your point Martie but I think the issue people on here have is that Gus has been on board now for 6 years and we still have a team that is battling to make the 8. Do you think after 6 years we should have a team that is performing better than ours currently?

OldPanther

Coach
I take your point Martie but I think the issue people on here have is that Gus has been on board now for 6 years and we still have a team that is battling to make the 8. Do you think after 6 years we should have a team that is performing better than ours currently?

The worst part is it feels like we have the team for it but there is just one little thing missing.

Panfas

Juniors
Des Hasler may be available soon

DES Hasler signed a two-year contract extension only a few months ago - but the former Test star is fighting for his coaching life at the Bulldogs.

I am hearing that elements within the Bulldogs football and leagues clubs boards are set to push to pay Hasler out if the Bulldogs fail to make the finals.

Sources say although Hasler signed a massive deal, his payour is capped at around $500,000 a season, making it feasible for the Dogs to pay him out.

If he does go, the club will push for former favourite son Dean Pay to take over as head coach.

Pay has served a long apprenticeship and is currently Ricky Stuart’s right-hand man at Canberra.

Read more at http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/07/04/...ighting-for-coaching-life#bOSeUF2XsHXuT0D2.99

mxlegend99

Referee
Surely people even remember the Knights-esque hole we were in 5 - 7 years ago? Do we really want to cut our nose off to spite our face?
Elliott took us to second place in his only finals appearance with us
Cleary took us to 4th place in his only finals appearance with us
Hook took us to sixth in his only finals appearance with us.

NRL results haven't changed much at all since Gus arrived. For all the good he has done, we are in no way a better NRL side. We are the same rabble we have always been.

betcats

Referee
Yes Gus has done a lot of great things since arriving here but look at it like this, we are basically 5 years past where Newcastle are right now. We suffered through 2012 and 2013 while Gus got rid of the bad contracts and bad eggs. We then blooded a bunch of great young players in 14, 15 and 16 as well adding some veterans and a couple big name signings and now in 17 starting as premiership favourites we cant even get in the top 8.

In 5 years if Newcastle are still struggling to make the 8 I have no doubt there rebuild will be judged a huge failure, so why are we any different? Its time for the team to perform or heads to roll. As a club and fans we have been conditioned to accept mediocrity rather than demanding excellence like every sports franchise should be doing. We have fans who don't want to judge Griffin yet because the years not over, I mean that is just f**king ridiculous, do you not watch us play? have you not seen the stats that prove we are shit? The years not over my ass. The excuse making this year has been sad really, after 5 weeks Gus was saying publically we will still make the top four, 2 or 3 more bad losses later and all of sudden we "are too young" etc

Last edited:

ashton

Juniors
Yes Gus has done a lot of great things since arriving here but look at it like this, we are basically 5 years past where Newcastle are right now. We suffered through 2012 and 2013 while Gus got rid of the bad contracts and bad eggs. We then blooded a bunch of great young players in 14, 15 and 16 as well adding some veterans and a couple big name signings and now in 17 starting as premiership favourites we cant even get in the top 8.

In 5 years if Newcastle are still struggling to make the 8 I have no doubt there rebuild will be judged a huge failure, so why are we any different? Its time for the team to perform or heads to roll. As a club and fans we have been conditioned to accept mediocrity rather than demanding excellence like every sports franchise should be doing. We have fans who don't want to judge Griffin yet because the years not over, I mean that is just f**king ridiculous, do you not watch us play? have you not seen the stats that prove we are shit? The years not over my ass. The excuse making this year has been sad really, after 5 weeks Gus was saying publically we will still make the top four, 2 or 3 more bad losses later and all of sudden we "are too young" etc
Yes the two most successful clubs in the past 20 years Brisbane and Melbourne both sacked Anthony Griffin.......Griffin was sacked by Bellamy and by the Broncos, yet Gould for some reason thinks Griffin can coach.

ashton

Juniors
Penrith put up with Royce Simmons for 10 years as coach........royce couldn't coach.
Penrith had Matt Elliott for 6 years as coach ........Elliott couldn't coach.
Gould signs Anthony Griffin for 3 years .........Griffin can't coach.
Yet the Melbourne Storm in an AFL city sign Bellamy for the past 15 years.
Penrith has had poor management for years.

betcats

Referee
Ivan Cleary had more success with the f**king NZ Warriors than Griffin had with broncos, and we fired Cleary and hired Griffin. Think about that, the warriors are the biggest coach killers in the league and constant underperformers and the broncos are without a doubt the powerhouses of the league in terms of money, influence and natural advantages. They spend more salary than anyone, they have better facilities than anyone and they basically just go out and sign anyone they want from the office to the squad.

Copperhead

Juniors
Takes Manly 2 years to rebuild with less money and f**k all juniors. We are meant to be a top 4 side. Someone needs to be held accountable

I was just reading this story about Nathan Brown's imminent demise
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ing-rebuke-from-chairman-20170703-gx3v6a.html
but it was Brian McGuigans' (Newcastle chairman) response that stood out,

"After a period of grace, unless things are improving, we have to do something about it … if things are out of control, then the board has to make decisions about the direction we're taking," McGuigan said.

He described Sunday's loss as "unacceptable", "embarrassing" and "a catastrophe".

McGuigan said the Knights had shown signs of improvement earlier in the season but recent results, especially against the Tigers, had been "a deterioration".

Brown has consistently pointed to an inexperienced roster, but McGuigan said: "He's the man that's got to carry the can ... it's just not good enough. The community expects better.

"Yesterday [Sunday] I lost faith, and I'm now expressing it openly and frankly, because the community expects more of us."

At what point does someone take responsibility for our continual failures? And before one of the apologists jumps in, I realize the Knights are in far worse shape than us both financially and player roster wise, but that makes our lack of success even worse.

Latest posts