Violence, brawls and punch-ups.

Discussion in 'NRL' started by innsaneink, Dec 28, 2007.

?

Do you like punch ups, brawls & violence in NRL?

1. Yes, its awesome

86.0%
  2. No, its barbaric and abhorrent.

14.0%
  1. innsaneink

innsaneink Referee

Do you like the physical, violent side to the game that occasionally we get to see?

For some reason we dont see as many punch ups and violence in the game aswe used to.
    Is this a concerted effort on behalf of the games admin, coaches and players who are aware of the possible negative impact this has on the grass roots?
    Or is it just we have athletes more so now as opposed to a typical football player?
    Or is it the heavily influenced PC times we currently are in?

2. Dogs Of War

Dogs Of War First Grade

Yes, but as long as it's occasional. If I wanted to see it every match I'd watching boxing.

3. eels_fan_01

eels_fan_01 Bench

Yes it seperates the boys from the men, the NRL players from the pansy AFL players.

4. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Bench

So long as they are fair, the "get squares" are the enjoyable events. Then its a matter between two players. Theres usually a hidden story which adds to the intrigue

5. Gee_Up

Gee_Up Juniors

It's a full contact sport where aggression gives you the upper hand. Fighting is a part of the game and give me a forward pack with the likes of Tallis, Fenech, Davidson, Harrigan and Webb anyday over ball playing forwards.

6. innsaneink

innsaneink Referee

Where is the line drawn with kids and footy violence....I'm seeing more as my son gets older, its part of the game imo and a clear reason why numbers start to drop at the 12's - 13s approx age group

7. LeagueXIII

LeagueXIII Bench

Skill over brawn, anyday.

8. parra pete

parra pete Coach

They use the fist until they become of the age to use the brain.
    Violence is the weakest form of strength.

"Brawls are not started by players. They are programmed in by other people who have no confidence in their team's ability to win by the rules laid down"....Jack Gibson

9. APRIL BELLE

APRIL BELLE Juniors

I hate seeing the 3rd player into a brawl getting sin binned. You shouldn't penalise players for coming to the aid of team mates.

But what I don't want to see is cheap shots. Where players are head hunted

10. 1 Eyed TEZZA

1 Eyed TEZZA Coach

People who think fights and brawls are good for the game are truely ignorant and do not think 2 minutes ahead.

Think of this, your a father, your son watches a match and his favourite player just belted the hell out of someone and the crowd is cheering that player on. The next morning, your at your sons first match of the year and he gets into a brawl with the biggest kid on the other team and belts the hell out of them.......turns out that kid thet he belted is a girl. Just think about the impact that could have on your sons life, the girls well being, the fumes of anger coming out of the Islander girls father and 3 brothers. The ARL talent scouts put a cross next to his name and his footy carrer is gone all because of a fight over a game of footy.

In saying that, one of the best moments of Origin 1 in 2006 was the Eric Grothe and Justin Hodges fight. But I wouldnt want my son(if I had one) doing that.

11. innsaneink

innsaneink Referee

LOL...quite the imagination there.

12. 1 Eyed TEZZA

1 Eyed TEZZA Coach

Yeah, Im watching Law And Order SVU right now such it was pretty easy. Just thought of some old episodes.

13. icewind

icewind Juniors

matchups like chief v spud are what i would like to see more of.

14. 1 Eyed TEZZA

1 Eyed TEZZA Coach

If you wanna see a fight, why go to a Rugby League match.

If you wanna see footy players fight, go watch Mason, Mundine, Hopa and Haumono.

Yeah its fun and exciting to see, but its also stupid because its a game of footy, if you wanna beat your opponent, do it where it hurts the most......through their paycheck and in Rugby League, that means beat them on the score board.

15. tiger_nick

tiger_nick Bench

the occasional biff is good fun. rarely seen in an nrl these days, i'd say there would be 2 or 3 a year now. i remember even 10 years ago you were guaranteed a good punch on every first scrum at origin. kinda sad to see it phased out.

16. bluey

bluey Bench

loooove it, providing the cheap shot merchants cop it from the refs. (King hitters ect).
    A good old stink is good for the game.

17. badav

badav Bench

Nothing wrong with a good punch on every now and then. Most of them end up being just a series of haymakers before the players are separated anyway.

What i don't like is a 3rd person running in and taking free reign. Like that guy Anthony Watts who came in from the side and threw about 600 punches at Shane Shackleton while he was being held back. Deserved the suspension that he got.

18. Gee_Up

Gee_Up Juniors

The penalties are to costly to biff on now.

19. Gee_Up

Gee_Up Juniors

Jack is obviously talking about coaches instructions.

Biffs start from cowards who cheap shot and sledge, then they are put in their place.

20. langpark

langpark First Grade

I love the skill of today's game, but I also enjoy the odd scrap, who can HONESTLY say they don't?

In a sport as physical as league it's always gonna happen, so people need to accept that.