What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vote for the new Kiwis coach

The next Kiwis coach should be...

• Laurie Daley

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Des Hasler

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Geoff Toovey

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Michael Maguire

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

LeagueNut

First Grade
These four have been spotted in Auckland and I don't know if I believe Laurie's claim that he's just here to visit family.

Who would you want to take over?

I reckon Daley or Toovey would go OK, not sure about the other two.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I was leaning towards Toovey because Ive heard him speak on the game during league chat shows and the things he brings up are more interesting than your usual league talks. However he hasnt been employed as a coach for awhile and that inactivity is something I struggle a little to look past.

A bit like Toovey, Daley before he became NSW coach, said all the right things everytime he had the chance to express his views. At the end of Origin last year, he didn't have any answers. However, coaching NSW to beat Queensland in these last few years IMO would be hard for any coach. From that experience I think Daley would have learnt a lot and he had some success so Id go with Laurie Daley.

Burns

First Grade
Im not sure who you go with, but this is such an important decision to get right. NZRL seems to be on the up and up from the carcrash that was last year.

On from at the moment, you would think NZ would be a good chance to take on England and Australia.

JJ

Immortal
Not Daley IMO the other three are simply better coaches, guess on achievement I'd go Hasler, McGuire, Toovey in order

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Not Daley IMO the other three are simply better coaches, guess on achievement I'd go Hasler, McGuire, Toovey in order
What happened with Hasler at the Bulldogs though? I hear not so good things about him. Im sure they were calling for his head. His dogs team had some good names too. Upon looking him up on wikipedia, I noticed he won 2 premierships (I thought he had only 1) as coach and has had plenty of success but I'd sure like to know what happened in Canterbury.

Don't know about McGuire but Im sure all three that you mentioned above is an improvement from Kidwell.

jaseg

Juniors
What happened with Hasler at the Bulldogs though? I hear not so good things about him. Im sure they were calling for his head. His dogs team had some good names too. Upon looking him up on wikipedia, I noticed he won 2 premierships (I thought he had only 1) as coach and has had plenty of success but I'd sure like to know what happened in Canterbury.

Dunno, but the Dogs have gotten worse without him, despite finally moving Mbye to his best NRL position and getting Hoppa jnr out of the spine (TBF he was better in 2017 than previously) and somewhat freeing up Lichaa to play to his strengths.

I suspect a lot of the Dogs problems surrounded the football department and specifically recruitment/retention - signing guys who didn't fit Hasler/the squad, overpaying & backending guys to create messy cap situations (clearly Hasler had something to do with the latter, as it happened at Manly also - though I doubt he had much to do with replacing Ennis with Lichaa etc). The cap stuff obviously isn't an issue in rep footy, so doesn't really bother me when recruiting for the Kiwis job.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind any of those 4 mentioned except Daley, who really doesn't impress me. The point of opening it up (as it should have been...) to non-Kiwi coaches is to get a guy with a great resume... Daley doesn't compare to the others, I think. If we're looking at guys without NRL experience, ignore the recognisable name and go for Jason Demetriou - the guy is a winner, with Brennan now at the Titans there's no question left, he's easily the best coach to have no yet coached NRL imo.

(but I'm happy with the experienced guys mentioned)

JJ

Immortal
Daley unfortunately has just lost series he should lose, lost series he should win and fluked on on the back of Hayne

He shouldn't be in the running but could well be the favourite

Beavers Headgear

First Grade

Don't know about McGuire but Im sure all three that you mentioned above is an improvement from Kidwell.

5 years at the Dogs, 2 Grand Finals, 2 Finals appearances and only 1 year missed the finals, his first miss in 13 years with 5 Grand Finals amongst that

Absolutely meticulous coach, which in a 1 off rep campaign may not translate over, and he is untested in that area, and may be another Bellamy who didn't produce as a rep coach with his style. On the flip side of that is a guy like Meninga who couldn't produce as a week to week coach but knew how to get a rep team up, and Bluey maybe in that mix as well although that may be a bit harsh

Passion wise Toovey fits the bill in what you are looking at for a rep coach

ozbash

Referee
My vote is Hasler.. proven record

Daley also has a proven record.. at losing. Kidwell before Lozza...

I voted Daley

Has more of a connection to the Culture of NZ (his wife being a kiwi)
The others are successful over whole seasons with a preseason and 24 regular season games.

playdaball

Bench
Heard something about that, the NZRL don't want anyone with NRL aspirations so I guess it's Daleys job then
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Daley is married to a Kiwi and has tournament experience, so hopefully knows how to coach a team for a short amount of time as opposed to 28 weeks per year.

JJ

Immortal
Daley is married to a Kiwi and has tournament experience, so hopefully knows how to coach a team for a short amount of time as opposed to 28 weeks per year.
LOL - yeah his record is stellar - is this the NZRL messing up royally again...

Daley's NSW teams have been abysmal when it counts