What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Eels round 11

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Little bit concerned about our go forward, particularly early on in the game. Eels middle defence was very dominant in their tackling of our forwards.

Geez Gavet seems to have lost that leg drive this year.

I thought the tip ons from Passi worked well but even Paasi's was getting pummelled in his hit ups.

Harris and Afoa went forward well.

Blair

Coach
I'm on a happy train-trip home. I remember a lot of horrible journeys after another horrible Warriors loss.

This is different. The guys did a full half-circle stroll of the field afterwards, lined with Warriors fans. There's real pride here, I haven't seen that vibe since the Tigers final in 2011.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Geez Gavet seems to have lost that leg drive this year...

It's very noticeable when you're at the game. He seems floppy even, getting bent every way but forwards. I'm sure it's just a phase, he's too good a player to be getting pummeled like this.

Ken's hit-ups are great, both speed and power. You can feel his collisions when spectating.

Blair

Coach
Great result.

What we needed to keep out spot on the ladder.

I actually enjoyed tonight even better than the Easter mauling of the Roosters.

Despite there being about 30-40% less Warriors fans, and a stadium without a quarter of the atmosphere of the SFS, it seemed like a more true-blue set of fans, prepared to take the hike out there on a winter's night, after a big loss the week before.

I missed a few familiar faces though, work must've got in the way.

Little bit concerned about our go forward, particularly early on in the game. Eels middle defence was very dominant in their tackling of our forwards.

Geez Gavet seems to have lost that leg drive this year.

I thought the tip ons from Passi worked well but even Paasi's was getting pummelled in his hit ups.

Harris and Afoa went forward well.

It's very noticeable when you're at the game. He seems floppy even, getting bent every way but forwards. I'm sure it's just a phase, he's too good a player to be getting pummeled like this.

Ken's hit-ups are great, both speed and power. You can feel his collisions when spectating.

He definitely isn't running as hard and seems to hesitate before the line.
Seems to have a lot of head movement making him look wobbly/floppy.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Yeah, what's going on with James? He was a colossus last year, this year he's getting smashed. Very disappointing. Guess it's that second year syndrome, I know it's not his second in the NRL but backing up a big season is obviously mentally not there for him. Matagi did it over here too, sure there's other examples. Hope he finds a way to aim up because 2017 Gavet would be very handy.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
If you looked at the stats last night, there's no way we should've won. 42% of possession, 330m less running metres, more missed tackles, 8 of their guys ran for 100+ plus while only 3 of our guys did (5 of their forwards v one of our forwards). And no SJ/RTS. Yet we kicked for 540m while they were 265m, WTF

We can't get beaten in the forwards like that again. They should've destroyed us, fortunately we have Blake Green and they have two overhyped underperformers in their halves.

Benek

Juniors
Ugly win, but glad for the two points. Eels looked by far the better team in the second half but we managed to hang in there.

Team needs to start finding a groove again soon. We've put of mediocre or worse performances for weeks now. We need that one confidence boosting game where things click to get us some momentum.

Benek

Juniors
I've been saying this for weeks but this stupid penalty from throwing the ball at a defender laying in the rusk needs to be gone. Every week players try even more ridiculous stuff, and as long as the refs keep rewarding them with penalties it will get worse. It's an embarrassment for the whole game.

I propose the refs are allowed some common sense to determine if the DH was intending to actually pass to a teammate. If not, it's play on. Free ball to whoever can pounce on it. In last night's game that could have easily been called a knock on – Warriors scrum feed. A rule change like this that adds an element of risk for the attacking/milking team would stamp it out quick smart.

Also kudos to Luke for maintaining the high ground and not attempting this embarrassing stuff. There where a number of time last night (and in every game) where he just cooly steps around the player in the ruck and gets on with his job.

Can't say that about most of our competition this year – we seem to have at least one of these calls go against us each game, and they'er getting more brazen each game. I suppose other teams will continue to milk the most out of this loophole until refs finally decide they need to act on it. But after this weekend I cannot see what else they are waiting for to clean it up.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I've been saying this for weeks but this stupid penalty from throwing the ball at a defender laying in the rusk needs to be gone.
It'll probably happen again tonight. Even if the tackler rolled away directly BEHIND the dummy half/hooker, they'd still throw the ball at the tackler and then win a penalty!

How is that even a penalty? the tackler is not in the way of any pass or any receiver. Unless there was a ANT in the grass with a Parramatta jersey and Luke was in the way of Will Smiths pass to that ant. The tacklers clearly not trying to break any rules.

JJ

Immortal
If you looked at the stats last night, there's no way we should've won. 42% of possession, 330m less running metres, more missed tackles, 8 of their guys ran for 100+ plus while only 3 of our guys did (5 of their forwards v one of our forwards). And no SJ/RTS. Yet we kicked for 540m while they were 265m, WTF

We can't get beaten in the forwards like that again. They should've destroyed us, fortunately we have Blake Green and they have two overhyped underperformers in their halves.
Yep worrying signs IMO the pack it consistently being beaten up, but defensively were competing

Eels are spectacularly incompetent, as you say flashy overhyped halves. If Moses is really being considered and Green is not then I'm not sure what the selectors are watching. Re runs of a few lucky games from last year?

Harris and Green have been great signings

But speaking of over hyped mouthy merkins can we trade Blair for a middle forward??

JJ

Immortal
Also I don't have a problem with what Smith did

First Luke shouldn't have been there, simple really

Second hookers do this all the time, just usually they pretend to throw a pass while deliberately chucking it at the player lying in the ruck. Smith just dispensed with the acting, it was honest and refreshing LOL