What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Manly rd19 Perth

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Backed that up with calling a drop for Tom T, nearly lost the plot at that one lol

Taupau had a big game up the middle, he and Lussick have been working well together there
Yeah Lussick is somewhat an unsung hero. He played good tonight but we know he can play better! than what he did tonight. Maybe it was the conditions but nope, he and Taupau were solid in their neck of the woods.

Blair

Coach
Truth is, forget about the lottery of golden point, the Warriors should've had that game sewn up in the second half.

I'm in bed, but stewing, can't nod off after the adrenalin and heartache of another golden point loss this year.

I think our season is in serious trouble now, we could lose the next two against the Raiders and Penrith. This one was one we had to win. I hope I'm wrong.

Still off to Brookie tomo, have my bag packed, early start, it'll be a good day out. I never want to be a fair weather fan.

Yes

SJ field goal attempt charged down and regathered by Trobjevic. Set them up for their field goal, starting set on about their 40m

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Truth is, forget about the lottery of golden point, the Warriors should've had that game sewn up in the second half.

I'm in bed, but stewing, can't nod off after the adrenalin and heartache of another golden point loss this year.

I think our season is in serious trouble now, we could lose the next two against the Raiders and Penrith. This one was one we had to win. I hope I'm wrong.

Still off to Brookie tomo, have my bag packed, early start, it'll be a good day out. I never want to be a fair weather fan.
I like to think its the weather and because of our missing players but I cant help but think its the one problem that wont be fixed and thats Cappy. Lolohea wasnt to play tonight and thats just shocking. Lisone who apparently is a prop, passes more than he hits it up and now SJ is getting negativity for it FFS. Its just a circus.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade

It's a great place to watch footy, park yourself on the hill on halfway and you can't go wrong

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Beaver will probably agree, that is such a bog average side we just lost to. Not well coached, many injuries in the backline especially, very indicative of their place on the ladder.

Welcome to post Origin, folks!

And we're 8th (and unlikely to be caught by the Panthers) with an 8-win, 9-loss record and a negative points diff. And we couldn't beat a side 6 points below us on the table.

Very revealing 3 weeks coming up. I reckon the Raiders will do a number on us next week, fresh off a bye in their own environment. Then we have the Titans and Panthers, who are in the top 8 bubble with us.

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
Why, when we pass the ball and score two tries, does SJ stop passing the ball in the opposition 20 and just start kicking?
And is Lolohea purely on the bench as a reserve for Johnson?

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
You know I woke up angry today. The misses talking to me as she makes brekky and Im on my phone posting this thinking very violent vicious thoughts towards Cappy.

I might go and vent on radio sport. Just pissed off. f**kin useless!

Benek

Juniors
My thoughts:

1. Great physical and mental effort to get back to even after those shocking first 15 minutes.

2. Should have gone into half tied up if not for Kata's stupid stupid penalty.

3. We dominated the first 25 mins of second half yet came away with nothing for it! For me this was by far the most frustrating part. A good team would have put on two tries there and put the game away. In fact we looked the better team from the 15th through the 75th minute.

4. We seem to lose the plot in close games in the final minutes and in overtime. Same pattern happened in the Sharkies game. Other teams just look more composed and execute better when it get's down to the wire.

5. Johnson is way too experienced to be caught out running the ball on the 4th tackle when we need him to kick on the fifth. That play where Lisone ended up whiffing the kick on the last was so pathetic it hurts.

6. Manu was a bit shit, but it was his first game back. Hopefully he comes right with time. Tui on the wing would have done us better I think.

7. Cappy FFS figure out how to use the bench! Tui warming the pine for 80 minutes?! Why even select him if he's not going to play at least 30 minutes? Just abysmal.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Beaver will probably agree, that is such a bog average side we just lost to. Not well coached, many injuries in the backline especially, very indicative of their place on the ladder.

Welcome to post Origin, folks!

And we're 8th (and unlikely to be caught by the Panthers) with an 8-win, 9-loss record and a negative points diff. And we couldn't beat a side 6 points below us on the table.

Very revealing 3 weeks coming up. I reckon the Raiders will do a number on us next week, fresh off a bye in their own environment. Then we have the Titans and Panthers, who are in the top 8 bubble with us.

Yeah not the best manly side you'll ever see, but it is better than its spot on the ladder too. Decent forward pack and halves but a bit of a makeshift backline outside of Tom T and Taufua. That kid on debut impressed me being able to get a hit on manu and keep him ingoal. I honestly don't think Barrett is that bad either, with the draw from hell and a stack of injuries we were sitting in the 8 after 8 rounds before the injury wheels really fell off

Just looking at the stats, it confirmed where I thought the game was won, and that was with Lussick/Taupau/Trbojevic taking the 1st 3 runs on each set at the start of the match, and they made 174, 141 & 163m respectively which is unmatched by the Warriors middle men

I'm not sure if we were great defensively or you guys threw nothing at is in attack, but after all the ball served up in great field position in the 2nd half you should have won by 10-12 points

JJ

Immortal
The conclusion is we're a poorly coached team that at the end of the day that flatters to deceive - we're just not that good...

vvvrulz

Coach
Absolutely wasting Tui on the bench spot is the only thing that truly bothered me regarding the coaching yesterday. That is downright unforgivably bad coaching.

Other than that though, we play good tough footy for 90 mins against a tough opponent, in torrential rain, in a ground we never win in. I put it down to lack of experience that we weren't quite able to finish the job, most of these guys haven't been in high pressure circumstances. Like the Sharks game, there was no question of effort, and that surely is a tick in the box.

Remember no Lillyman and Thompson.

Blaming SJ is harsh, he had a good game generally and has come up with a lot of match winning clutch plays in the past. He stuffed up this time, but you also have to question where was Luke, where was TL, why were none of them barking orders at Lisone.

Overall I'm pretty pleased, I thought we were going to lose handsomely.

JJ

Immortal
Yeah, overall it was a good effort - but Manly are not terribly good, we need to remember that...

Lolohea's non use was weird - like it was a plan to carry someone on the bench and not use them... and while I am a Tevaga fan, WTF is he doing on the bench?

Also, how much data does McFadden need to realise that Gavet and Gubb are not first grade props (or anything)

Johnson should not have been tackled there, but that's forgiveable, where the f**k was the 5/8??? I haven't watched back, but with Johnson tackled at least one of Luke (who had a good game IMO) or Leuluai had to be in on that play... and IMO Lolohea had to be on the field, presumably he's a field goal option too??

vvvrulz

Coach
Yeah, overall it was a good effort - but Manly are not terribly good, we need to remember that...

Not as good as Manly teams of the past, but they're better than what they are on the ladder. I was especially impressed that our heads didn't drop 14-0 down, at that point I was close to writing off the night right there.

I guess I'm just saying we shouldn't get too carried away with the disappointment, we were an inch away from winning a tough game missing two key forwards.

JJ

Immortal
And is Lolohea purely on the bench as a reserve for Johnson?

Would love an answer there - insane to carry a player whose sole purpose is to cover for someone who's not 100%, and won't be pulled unless he hurts himself badly

No other obvious explanation, but coach will waffle about the right time, or right opportunity for Tui to make an impact not presenting itself with the way the game went - which is stupid... He'll probably also say something about Tui learning from it, and improving on a few little things every week, and appreciating being fresh

Meth

Staff member
I thought that was Hoffman's best game of the season so far. Also, Leuluai's.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Needed a second rower on the bench as Afoa wasnt going to play 80
Yeah I get that, but there were others that could have been taken...

Essentially he had Tui on the bench and didn't use him, and a hooker to cover back row... just poor all round

We had Hoffman making huge metres (along with Matulino), and Mannering making nearly 60 tackles, all because the 17 was out of whack...

people seem to have overlooked Mannering and Hoffman's contributions which were huge