What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Titans rd2

Benek

Juniors
I know it's great to have 4 points from two games, but I'm worried about penalties and errors moving forward. This Titans game was not nearly as well executed as against the Souths. A lot of good opportunities blown by errors, and a lot of easy field position and possession given from penalties. Our conversion rate was nothing to write home about. And it felt like it took longer into the game before our forwards started making the metres. I'm not convinced we actually played that well on Saturday - I think the Titan's were just not good at all. When we run into a strong team, it will be interesting to see how we hold up. I suspect they will need to clean things up quite a bit to win against serious contenders.

But having said that, we've come home with the points and that's far better than we can say about the first two rounds of the season for a long long time. They look like they are genuinely playing for each other as a team, finally.

TheDMC

Bench
I know it's great to have 4 points from two games, but I'm worried about penalties and errors moving forward. This Titans game was not nearly as well executed as against the Souths. A lot of good opportunities blown by errors, and a lot of easy field position and possession given from penalties. Our conversion rate was nothing to write home about. And it felt like it took longer into the game before our forwards started making the metres. I'm not convinced we actually played that well on Saturday - I think the Titan's were just not good at all. When we run into a strong team, it will be interesting to see how we hold up. I suspect they will need to clean things up quite a bit to win against serious contenders.

But having said that, we've come home with the points and that's far better than we can say about the first two rounds of the season for a long long time. They look like they are genuinely playing for each other as a team, finally.

Agreed, way too many errors and penalties, early on especially. We don't look like spoon contenders at all though so that is a great start. Litmus test will definitely be when we start playing stronger teams as neither the Titans or Souths were much chop. Although our defensive line is holding, we need to be pushing forward together in D more aggressively, they are still a bit passive meaning easy meters for the opposition. The way the Tigers came forward and gang tackled the Storm last night is the template. But so far more promising signs than negative signs. Early days.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
This weekend was a banana skin game, coming off the longest road trip in the comp and all the elation of breaking the Perth and round one hoodoos I reckon the team were always s going to be a bit flat. The fact that they still got the job done and did it fairly comfortably is a massive improvement and something they can continue to build on.
But right now I’m prepared to modify expectations from “will be lucky to avoid the spoon” to “mid table, will make the eight if injuries permit”.

Iafeta

Referee
You can only play what's in front of you. Admittedly both teams we played were very poor. But they're games we could easily take lightly and slip up.

I only had two concerns yesterday. One Copley stood up Hiku with ease to put Sami away. Two, the first 15 minutes after half time. We played arrogantly. At 12-2 for example, and playing like cats on a hit tin roof, we turned down an easy 2 points to go 12 in front.

Our two second half tries were off well constructed sets. Simple plays. And in the Sami case, credit to RTS who again defended the line beautifully and absolute credit to Hiku who was excellent in getting back and completely saving that defensive error.

I think when we click we will murder some mobs. But I think we need to get better at recognising when it's not working, or is not on, and get back into the grind. In one way I like that they kept to their guns, but it needs to be more situational IMO.

Still we are 2 from 2, and honestly, no team is as dangerous as us thus far this year. I absolutely love that RTS isn't having to play as a third prop, and that Shaun has been freed up to take it to the line. Teams are really panicking around him. Could be his season really.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Agreed Feka, and I think they got into a similar second half lull against the Bunnies. But they snapped out of it on both occasions so I think it’s a minor, correctible issue of focus.