What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Titans Rd20

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Are you saying that the Cowboys didnt deserve to make the finals last year? (Just playing Devils Advocate here)

Deserving is a hard one to qualify, under the current system they did deserve it, because other teams couldn't get the job done, but the kind of season they had leading into the finals probably shouldn't have gotten them there in a perfect world. Have said a few times this season that their form this season shouldn't be as big a surprise as it is, but people forget 3 games at the end of last season sugar coated how they actually traveled for the majority of it

Under a top 5 last season we would have seen Melbourne having a week off in week 1, Roosters v Brisbane for the right to play them in a GF qualifier in week 2 and Parra playing the Sharks in an elimination final, all pretty good games.

I liked the advantage a minor premier received in getting straight through to week 2, and I also like that if their was a tie on points they played a game to qualify. Was all neutral venues back then too, I used to have big problems under the McIntyre 8 system, how a team finishing 8th could get a home finals game in week 2, still not a big fan of 5 and 6 getting a home game now, but at least the top 4 are guaranteed to get a home game under this system and 7 and 8 can't get one

I don't hate the top 8, was just a fan of how the 5 worked growing up, and there were epic games nearly every week, and you knew that every team in there had absolutely earned their spot, whereas now there is always a feeling of teams limping in there

Most concerning for me the past week or so is how much I have been looking back to 'the good ole days" lol, must be turning into an old bastard now !!

Campion

Juniors
i'm jumping onboard the 'top 5' here. I much preferred that system when there is 16 times. It then went out to around 20 and at that point the top 8 made sense. Then it went to 15(!) and it was still a top 8, which was ridiculous. I think teams should be rewarded for being consistently awesome throughout the season. But i do understand from a marketing perspective that top 8 is better. I would love if we went to 18 teams and then still kept a top 8, at least that way the 'top8' is more than just 'teh better half of the teams'.

Meth

Staff member
I’ve always been keener of top 5, but can see the merits of top 8. Prefer it the way that they do it now. Anyhow, the best team at the right time should win.

JJ

Immortal
I reckon with the comp as it is, 6 seems a good number, they can construct it in a way to not reduce the amount of playoff games. 6 seems to be more or less the cutoff between good and mediocre teams on the season's performance - 7-8 tends to be teams that have been mediocre through the season - and very occasionally one capable on going on a run in the playoffs.

This year there's a split at 8 on wins, which might close, but I suspect not

How exciting would it be if it was a top 6 this year??? Teams 3-8 are all close on points, would be a hell of a run in

Fixing the rep-season impacts is a bigger priority though - and ideally having a full double round, or some fairer draw - along with increasing competence and removing nepotism in the referee system

Rich102

Staff member
The more games there are the more revenue the NRL gets.
We are lucky it isn't a top 12.

Reactions: JJ