What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wakefield coaching situation?

bartman

Immortal
While I was away recently it seems Wakefield let their coach Shane McNally go.

Anything happen? Other than questionable form and desperation to avoid relegation?

It doesn't bode well when a side that's struggling makes a mid-year coaching change, after going OK enough last year...

Paul-The-Cowboy

Juniors
You were on the money mate. Poor form. And the board were worried about their ESL status.

Shame, as he's a very good coach and done a lot of work with the academy. Really feel sorry for the guy. Super League coach of they year last year and deservadly so. Good philospher of the game and isn't too bitter about his departure.

I guess that these changes are expected withthe ridiculous situation of 2 teams going down this year. Widnes are as close to the top 6 as they are to the bottom of the table!

Tony Smith in temporary control. Neil Kelly (formerly of Widnes. Now defensive coach of Ulster RU) expected to be announced as the new coach of his hometown club in the next couple of weeks

bartman

Immortal
Cheers for that. It's sure cutthroat and going to be a real struggle to get into 10th or above this year.

I don't think there's much difference in that bunch of sides above Leigh, but there's gonna be some really disheartened people come the final round.

terracesider

Juniors
It was just panic from the Wakey board. McNally has not become a bad coach overnight. If anybody deserved to be sacked it's the players who have under performed.

MjM

Juniors
Would McNally have been sacked if Wakey hadn't had a 'good' season in 2004? Wakey fans from what I've read genuinely seemed to think they were going to crack the top six on a regular basis. I hope the club didn't budget on that being the case.

If Wakey had maintained their usual course of an acceptable season being the avoidance of relegation then this year would be looking OK/normalish. I'm not saying they shouldn't have ambition, but they've gotta be realistic too. McNally to me looks like a victim of his own success.

Corbin

Juniors
The loss of ellis was a big 1 for them i guess....

Leigh and Wakefield -> regelation unforunately