What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wales RLWC train on squad

hutch

First Grade
http://walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/16084/train-on-squad-named-for-rugby-league-world-cup-

John Kear has named a provisional 32-man train-on squad ahead of Rugby League World Cup 2017.
The squad was announced at Wales’ World Cup kit launch, which marked 100 days until their opening group match against Papua New Guinea.

There are six uncapped players in the squad: St Helens’ Calvin Wellington and Elliot Jenkins, Coventry Bears’ Zak Williams, Newcastle Knights’ Josh Ralph and Penrith Panthers duo Caleb Aekins and Daniel Brown.

Meanwhile, Ben Evans, Ben Flower, Larne Patrick and Rhys Evans, who all made their last appearances at Rugby League World Cup 2013, have been included.

Twenty out of Wales’ 22-man squad for last year’s World Cup qualification campaign have been shortlisted.

In total, the squad features 12 players from Super League clubs, nine players from Championship clubs, 13 players from League 1 clubs and four players from NRL and Australian clubs.

On his squad selection, Wales head coach John Kear said: “I’m delighted. Everybody is pretty excited about the World Cup.

“The train-on squad is a mixture of those who have achieved with us and newcomers who have come to our attention. We want to be able to pick the best squad for the World Cup.

“Ben Flower, Ollie Olds and Rhys Evans are all currently injured, but we’re giving them every opportunity to recover, go through their rehab and put their hands up for selection.

“As this is a train-on squad, it doesn’t exclude other players from joining the squad at a later date.

“From speaking to the players, I know that they were disappointed with the 2013 World Cup and they see this tournament as a way of rectifying that. At this World Cup, they can set the standard.

“As a group, they really enjoy each other’s company and they will be confident.

“It will be a trip to savour for the players, the support staff and everybody involved.

“With going to places like Papua New Guinea, Townsville and Perth, it’s going to be a real adventure. It will be one that we can enjoy, but we will also have to work hard.”

WALES’ 38-MAN TRAIN-ON SQUAD: Larne Patrick (Castleford Tigers), Zak Williams (Coventry Bears), Courtney Davies, Steve Parry, Lewis Reece (all Gloucestershire All Golds), Danny Ansell (Hunslet), Sam Hopkins (Leigh Centurions), Michael Channing, Ben Evans, Dalton Grant, Elliot Kear, Rhys Williams (all London Broncos), Josh Ralph (Newcastle Knights), Matty Barron (Newcastle Thunder), Joe Burke (Oldham), Caleb Aekins, Daniel Brown (both Penrith Panthers), Ant Walker (Rochdale Hornets), Craig Kopczak (Salford Red Devils), Matty Fozard (Sheffield Eagles), Morgan Evans, Connor Farrer, Andrew Gay, Christiaan Roets (all South Wales Ironmen), Regan Grace, Elliot Jenkins, Morgan Knowles, Ben Morris, Calvin Wellington (all St Helens), Rhodri Lloyd (Swinton Lions), Jake Emmitt, Dan Fleming (both Toronto Wolfpack), Rhys Evans (Warrington Wolves), Ollie Olds (West Brisbane Panthers), Gil Dudson, Lloyd White (both Widnes Vikings), Ben Flower (Wigan Warriors), Phil Joseph (Workington Town)

hutch

First Grade
Only 4 players from the South Wales ironmen and no players from the north wales crusaders.

roughyedspud

Coach
Can anyone pick out the born & bread Welshmen? I can spot a few but probably not all

Elliot kear
Rhodri Lloyd
Rhys Williams
Ben flower
Gill dudson
Lloyd white
Ben Evans
Rhys evans
Regan grace
Morgan evans
Connor farrar
Lewis reece

I'm going crosseyed lol..anymore??

roughyedspud

Coach
We,Oldham,have just signed the lad Ben morris,named in this Wales train on squad, from st Helens on loan till the end of the season,a center/2nd rower,apparently scored twice for Wales in their RLWCQ last year..

I'll keep a eye on him

morningstar

Juniors
Can anyone pick out the born & bread Welshmen? I can spot a few but probably not all

19 by my count...

Larne Patrick (Castleford Tigers), Zak Williams (Coventry Bears), Courtney Davies, Steve Parry, Lewis Reece (all Gloucestershire All Golds), Danny Ansell (Hunslet), Sam Hopkins (Leigh Centurions), Michael Channing, Ben Evans, Dalton Grant, Elliot Kear, Rhys Williams (all London Broncos), Josh Ralph (Newcastle Knights), Matty Barron (Newcastle Thunder), Joe Burke (Oldham), Caleb Aekins, Daniel Brown (both Penrith Panthers), Ant Walker (Rochdale Hornets), Craig Kopczak (Salford Red Devils), Matty Fozard (Sheffield Eagles), Morgan Evans, Connor Farrer, Andrew Gay, Christiaan Roets (all South Wales Ironmen), Regan Grace, Elliot Jenkins, Morgan Knowles, Ben Morris, Calvin Wellington (all St Helens), Rhodri Lloyd (Swinton Lions), Jake Emmitt, Dan Fleming (both Toronto Wolfpack), Rhys Evans (Warrington Wolves), Ollie Olds (West Brisbane Panthers), Gil Dudson, Lloyd White (both Widnes Vikings), Ben Flower (Wigan Warriors), Phil Joseph (Workington Town)

Last edited:

hutch

First Grade
Just looking at the north wales crusaders information, they only have 3 welsh players in the 30 man squad? What happened there?

They are very close to the border and some of the Cheshire and Lancashire heartland towns. It means they can easily sign players from those areas without them even moving away from family and jobs. There would be few players from North Wales up to that level (there's few teams at all) and not many players from South Wales where the clubs are would move or travel up to North Wales to play for Crusaders.

hutch

First Grade
True, I also read they are playing a few home games in Chester in England.

The ironmen (soon to be raiders) have an almost entirely welsh roster and coaching staff.

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
to be fair to the crusaders..theres a fair few players in that squad who have gone through the crusaders and signed for other clubs...that a good thing imo cos if welsh lads come through the crusaders and south wales(as was) and sign for other semi pro and pro clubs it proves the development pathway is working..

and it makes me smile cos this is exactly what ive been saying about wales for a decade :) having a crusaders team in SL did nothing for welsh RL cos it was stacked with aussies and english....but having crusaders,then south wales,in the lower leagues,where they have the time to bring through the welsh talent,who then get snapped up by SL clubs so then more welsh talent can come through...is bleeding fantastic..and its great for welsh rugby league

When Crusaders were in SL was when most of the locally produced players started playing RL and were given a shot at the top level. Flower, Kear, White and Dudson were part of the SL squad and a lot of other players were in their academy team. If there was still a Welsh SL team we'd see more Welsh players in SL now and in the future and more across the whole league structure. Losing a SL club and the rfl cutting funding for development officers has slowed growth there and that spike in pro players brought about by Crusaders hasn't endured and won't be seen again unless something similar happens.

morningstar

Juniors
Craig Kopczak confirmed as Captain. Elliot Kear & Phil Joseph Vice Captains...

http://walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/16198/captain-and-vice-captains-announced-for-rlwc

Craig Kopczak has been named as captain and Phil Joseph and Elliot Kear as vice captains for Wales’ Rugby League World Cup 2017 campaign.

Salford Red Devils prop Kopczak has been Wales’ skipper for the past two years and led the side to European Championship success in 2015 and World Cup qualification last autumn.

Kopczak said: “I’m really looking forward to it. It’s a big competition.

“One of my best memories is leading Wales out in Cardiff in the opening game of the 2013 World Cup. It was a huge honour and it’ll be great to do it in another World Cup.

“I’m looking forward to the challenge. Each game is going to be really competitive and we need to make sure that we match Papua New Guinea, Fiji and Ireland in every department.”

Joseph, meanwhile, has previously acted as a vice captain under Kopczak.

On his vice captaincy, he said: “I’m very pleased about the appointment and can’t wait to help lead the lads into a World Cup.

“I’ve had some fantastic memories in rugby league and have played at the highest level for years, but the pinnacle of my career will be to play against the best players in the world on arguably the biggest stage.

“We have a close-knit group of boys with Wales. We work well with each other and for each other and that highlights why we have gone six matches unbeaten.”

For the World Cup, Elliot Kear – who has won 21 caps for Wales to date – has been named as an additional vice captain to lead the backline.

“It came as a bit of a shock when John [Kear] rang me, but I said that of course I’d be a vice captain,” he said.

“It is a massive honour for me and I was delighted with everything that John was saying to me.

“Playing against Italy at the Millennium Stadium and against Australia in Wrexham are two fantastic memories with Wales, but being a vice captain for a World Cup out there in Australia is going to be brilliant.

“We have had a good couple of years and hopefully we can keep that going.”