What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wally Lewis

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Love QLD, loved Wally as a player...bloody awful as a commentator.

I don't mind bias but all I get from him is the bleeding obvious, and how he'd like the play to go to ensure a Maroons victory. I can get that from the pisshead sitting next to me at the pub.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Wally Lewis was actually trending on twitter last night and there weren't many nice things being said about his cheer leading

he's an embarrassment

eozsmiles

Bench
I don't mind bias, should be more of it really. People complain about NSW bias in the commentary over the years but that is to be expected - it is the biggest market Rugby League caters for. Not sure why Nine don't have two calls for origin - the usual crew for NSW and then they could have Tallis, Ikin, and Wally (or similar) calling on the QLD network.

I don't mind that Wally is biased. What I don't like is the combination of mumbling, stuttering, talking too fast, shouting, and starting to say one word then half way through changing to another and in the end making up a whole new one.

some11

Referee
Love QLD, loved Wally as a player...bloody awful as a commentator.

I don't mind bias but all I get from him is the bleeding obvious, and how he'd like the play to go to ensure a Maroons victory. I can get that from the pisshead sitting next to me at the pub.

If I could pick up Wally in my SuperCoach team I'd be all over him.

Big Pete

Referee
Wally Lewis is in the Broncos hallf of fame? Honestly?

Struggling to think of what they based his induction on. They were rubbish for the 2 years he played for them and won a damned premiership almost as soon as he was dumped.

Originally he didn't even qualify for it.

But both him and Geno were inducted in Round 26 of 2012 when they revised the criteria.

I don't mind it, Wally was as important to the Broncos as Artie was to the Maroons and Origin concept. He was one of our best during that 88-89 period (didn't play much in 90) and Brisbane only went off the rails due to Origin and injuries.

Panther Pete

Juniors
So your only allowed to be openly biased if your from NSW? You got a dose of what Qlders have had to put up with for the last 100 origin games.

Although Ray Warren is from NSW, he is neutral and just calls the games. Joey John's is clearly a blues man but rather than just cheering us on he offers an analysis of the game rather than a blatant bias towards NSW. Wally just yells his team on like some p!ssed idiot in a pub would, it's hardly professional commentary and doesn't contribute anything constructive to the call.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Originally he didn't even qualify for it.

But both him and Geno were inducted in Round 26 of 2012 when they revised the criteria.

I don't mind it, Wally was as important to the Broncos as Artie was to the Maroons and Origin concept. He was one of our best during that 88-89 period (didn't play much in 90) and Brisbane only went off the rails due to Origin and injuries.

Wonder what their criteria was.

He only played 40 odd games for the Broncos and they didn't make the finals in 88/89.

Brutus

Referee
Wally Lewis is in the Broncos hallf of fame? Honestly?

Struggling to think of what they based his induction on. They were rubbish for the 2 years he played for them and won a damned premiership almost as soon as he was dumped.

He was Dally M five-eighth of the year in 1988 and was the Broncos' leading tryscorer that year.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
So your only allowed to be openly biased if your from NSW? You got a dose of what Qlders have had to put up with for the last 100 origin games.

Pretty much this. Johns doesn't offer anything insightful, all I get from him is a thinly disguised arrogant, nasty streak.

But the mouthpissers seem to love it.

In fact that was probably the best call of an Origin game in years, because Gould was not involved.

insert.pause

First Grade
Pretty much this. Johns doesn't offer anything insightful, all I get from him is a thinly disguised arrogant, nasty streak.

But the mouthpissers seem to love it.

In fact that was probably the best call of an Origin game in years, because Gould was not involved.

They just showed footage on the footy show of locky scoring that intercept try to win first series in 06 with Gus screaming in commentary "Oh NO, Oh NO!". Just one example of the crap we have had to put up with, Johns has had his fair share of cheerleading as well.

Zigwaa

Bench
They just showed footage on the footy show of locky scoring that intercept try to win first series in 06 with Gus screaming in commentary "Oh NO, Oh NO!". Just one example of the crap we have had to put up with, Johns has had his fair share of cheerleading as well.

I see your Gould and raise you a Fatty Vautin, who was in the commentary team before Gould.

Spot On

Coach
Gee he's insightful though.

QLD were having their 17th straight set on NSW try line and he came up with an absolute gem......

"QLD looking dangerous!"

FFS.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I think we can all agree that the vast majority of the Channel 9 NRL commentary team are unsuitable for the job

eozsmiles

Bench
Gee he's insightful though.

QLD were having their 17th straight set on NSW try line and he came up with an absolute gem......

"QLD looking dangerous!"

FFS.

That annoys me more than any bias. I don't mind bias at all - do we expect them to forget the origin games they played just because they are commentating? No way, that's the passion that origin is about.

Wally is a footy god and can read a game with his eyes shut. The comments he comes out with should be like bolts of lightning for the average sports fan. But he mostly gets caught up either using tired cliches or getting excited. It's a shame for footy fans but obviously more palatable for QLD supporters lol.

The people saying that Wally and Joey offer nothing are wrong. They do all they have to, which is hang around and be immortal. I think Joey is a better analyst but he mumbles and is a lunatic when Freddy is there. They should stick them both on the sideline and cross to them once each per half.

None of them can hold a candle to Sterling.

mongoose

Coach
I must be one of the few people who don't mind Johns and Fitler, I think they're ok when they aren't together. Lockyer can be really insightful too, he just has a bad voice. Wally I'm afraid is awful, he sounds unnatural like he's reporting the news.

Any commentator combination is better than Hadley/Lewis for Broncos games. They are unlistenable, though I bet derplanders love them.

taipan

Referee
I must be one of the few people who don't mind Johns and Fitler, I think they're ok when they aren't together. Lockyer can be really insightful too, he just has a bad voice. Wally I'm afraid is awful, he sounds unnatural like he's reporting the news.

Any commentator combination is better than Hadley/Lewis for Broncos games. They are unlistenable, though I bet derplanders love them.

So if you cross Hadley and Lewis,you get Haley Lewis.I'll get me coat sir.

Latest posts